We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleurothallids  (Read 6650 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Pleurothallids
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
Howdy All,

I couldn't work out where to put this little gem, so I started this topic for the Pleurothallid family (Masdevalias, Pleurothallis etc).  If anyone has a better place for this then please feel free to recommend it (or if a moderator, shift it).....

This is Pleurothallis schiedei, a strange little thing that sort of looks a bit like a spider body with weird little white dangly things that move in the slightest breeze (a bit like little chandelier crystals).  The whole flower is maybe 1cm across.  Very different, and I hadn't expected to succeed with it to be honest.  I paid far too much for it at the time, but I am thrilled to have now had since last year, and have it coming back into flower again.  Yeah!!  ;D

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:56:47 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

Re: Pleurothallids
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »
Paul,

What an extraordinary flower; never saw the likes before.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
Paddy,

Neither had I, until I saw and bought it.  ;D  The stem keeps producing flowers for a while too, so it isn't like a single flower on the end of the stem..... it produces another bud, then another.. etc.  I have 3 or 4 stems forming at the moment, with just the one with a flower open as yet.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:09:25 PM »
What a flower, 1cm with all those fancy bits,   :o  Your Macro shot certainly shows it off to perfection, Paul  ;)

Can you show the whole plant ?

Looking up this lovely thing I came across this amazing gallery of images - do you know it?

http://www.pbase.com/glazemaker/pleurothallis
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:22:20 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:01 PM »
What an amazing flower Paul.  I'm glad you didn't lose it.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 06:56:22 PM »
You've improved my education yet again Paul, that's another one I hadn't heard of before.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:26:54 PM »
Pleurothallis schiedei  ;)  .....  now Stelis villosa.
(they realised that 'Pleurothallis' was just a dustbin of little weird jobs, and have split them up in to natural groupings now. There are thousands of species.......there is an American who has made a career of sorting them all out, and Icones Pleurothallidinarum had reached its 29th volume, last time I looked .....so don't even think of a National Collection  ;D)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:00:41 PM by Giles »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
Robin,

I'll take a pic of the whole plant for you today.

Giles,

Thanks for the name correction (I've updated the original posting, but the image is still spelt incorrectly).  I misread the tag, obviously enough.  ::)  I didn't realise it had had a name change..... but I might wait a while before changing the name, in case they change it back again as so often happens in orchids.  ;D  I love these little quirky things, although the Masdevallias themselves are sometimes a bit of a struggle for me (mainly with heat in summer unfortunately).  I grow any that I have inside under lights, as the house is cool enough to allow them to survive.  I had a reasonable collection of about 20 of them that I lost over 10 days a few years ago..... we had a week of 36 to 41'C and the hosue just heated up too much for them.  Have had better insulation installed since then, so I have started to collect a few of them again.  For those who don't know, so many of these plants find it terminal when they get much above 28'C (mine have had higher than that, but briefly).  I certainly proved that warmth will kill them the year I lost the whole collection in one go.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 06:52:46 AM »
You might already have come across these:
http://www.pleurothallids.com/
and for some nice pictures of Teagueia:
http://www.loujost.com/index.htm
and somewhat embarrassingly if you have any queries about a particular species I have all 29 volumes of Icones  ;)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:16 AM »
a fascinating group of plants for sure; i did have a few miniature orchids, grown indoors, some years ago, pre- a couple of moves...
my problem is watering enough...lol
plus, they are MUCH  more expensive to acquire than cacti, for example!

DavMac

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:35:53 AM »
There is a nice party trick you can do with S. villosa and a comb. Create a static electrical charge on the comb and bring it near the "hairs" on the flower and watch them move. It will entertain the kids (and the not-so-young  ;D) for ages.

David
David McConachie, Korokoro, New Zealand

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:54:24 AM »
You might already have come across these:
http://www.pleurothallids.com/
and for some nice pictures of Teagueia:
http://www.loujost.com/index.htm
and somewhat embarrassingly if you have any queries about a particular species I have all 29 volumes of Icones  ;)

........ and the anorak Giles? :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:33 AM »
..no, I'm far too busy with my collection of bus tickets to go out and buy an anorac..

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »
 ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »
Robin,

As requested, here is a pic of the whole plant of Pleurothallus shiedei.  Not much to look at really.  ;D  Another flower is about to open at the moment.  The other one didn't last that long, which is strange as they seemed to last quite a long time last year.  ::)

Also attached are a couple of pics of Dryadella zebrina.  One showing more of the plant, and the other a closeup of the flower with flash to show up some of the colours more strongly etc.  Another teeny tiny thing with flowers only a cm across. 8)

Enjoy.

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal