We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleurothallids  (Read 6652 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Pleurothallids
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 10:57:51 AM »
Just come back from a break...thanks Paul for posting the Pleurothallus shiedei plant - it certainly has lush leaves for such a diminuitive flower!  I love the markings on the Dryadella zebrina flower and the flower has bags of character even if it is tiny.

I see you keep them quit wet in the pots, presumably they have been outside in rain?  Pleione and Orchidaceae are part of my being from early years, they are just so fascinating in their diversity and survive where other plants give up the ghost!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Hristo

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »
Just caught up with this thread, fab plants Paul.
I've always loved the Masies and the Draculas, but, as the story so often goes, I only seem able to kill them!
I stopped trying to grow them ( from young seedlings from Dick Warren ) 10 years ago, or is that stopped killing them?  :-\
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 11:33:05 AM »
A somewhat belated thanks for the responses.  It is going to take me AGES to catch on everything.

The Pleurothallus shiedei seems to like the Sphagnum moss, and it stays much wetter there (and obviously is enjoying it).  Most Masds that I grow in Sphagnum moss die, so I tend to move them into a coir chip that seems to be working for my conditions.

Chris,

I have found that you need to find the right growing media for your conditions.  As I mention above, sphagnum moss, which suits many other people, is almost always terminal for me here.  The other big thing with these of course is the summer temps not going over 28'C if at all possible.  According to the books that is the temp, and certainly I lost my whole colletion a few years ago when we had a week of 38-41'C and the house got up to the mid 30s and above.  Literally within a fortnight every one of them died as they had been too hot.  Since then we have had the ceiling and walls better insulated and now we barely get above 30 in the house at all, and then only for short periods, and they seem to be fine with that.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi Paul,
Given where they grow that all makes a great deal of sense. Sadly my window of opportunity for growing these little treasures
has passed. It would be too expensive I fear to maintain their minimum temperatures and it would be tough maintaining the lower temps
in the summer combined with the right humidity levels, no, I fear I shall have to admire them from afar and from the pages of the forum!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 01:46:42 AM »
Chris,

Lets not mention the humidity bit to my plants..... they don't get nearly enough of it and still do OK.  ;)  The maximum temps in summer ARE something that needs to be attended to though.  Ours were solved with the better insulation of the house, which is why I have started collecting a few of the Pleuros again. At the moment while I am not working I am misting the plants once every day or two, just to try to increase the humidity, but when I was working they never got that and yet still survived just fine.  I also have a small fan near them for some air movement, but other than that they get nothing special at all.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »
Paul,
I remember the days...had a fish tank in Aberdeen, never saw fish, only Masies and Draculas and some other little orchids on bark. Twas easy to keep the humidity levels up!!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
Nah, mine are in the open, not a terrarium.  I'd be worried about too much humidity and rotting them if I put them in a fish tank.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Hristo

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 07:15:10 PM »
LOL, reinforces the point that what works for one grower in one set of conditions doesn't always work for another!
Orchids that once grew poorly for me in the UK now grow superbly here, whilst others that were happy in the UK
have simply given in!!!  :'(

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »
Or Chris, it could just be my crappy and "feast or famine" watering technique!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »
Howdy All,

A few of the Pleurothallids on our show table at last night's (so all photographed with a flash) local Orchid Society meeting.....

Masdevallia 'Mary Staal' x triangularis
Masdevallia 'Charisma'
Masdevallia Partizan 'Cinnamon'
 Just amazing colourations on some of these.  Just a few of the lovely Masdevallia hybrids we had there.

Plus

Porroglossum meridionale, a tiny species, not much bigger than my spider-like Pleurothallis shiedei that I have posted previously.

Please click on the picture for a larger version.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:32:00 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 12:20:39 PM »
Wicked, Paul, what shapes and colouration - would love to know more about these orchids in the wild, do they live in deep jungle?

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Robin,

I "think" that most of the Masdevallias are South American, up in the jungles in the Ecuador region etc (as an example).  I think they're quite widespread, and very, very diverse.  Commonly called "cat's bum orchids" as the basic flower shape on some of the larger species in particular is very like the shape of a cat walking away from you with it's tail held high.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 11:34:37 PM »
Commonly called "cat's bum orchids" as the basic flower shape on some of the larger species in particular is very like the shape of a cat walking away from you with it's tail held high. 

And to think we are often told of how "romantic" orchids are! :P
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hristo

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 06:11:43 AM »
Anthropomorphism I reckon, we regard our flowers as maybe works of art, and rightly so, but maybe forget that the bottom line from the plants point of view is 'sex'. Lets face it we rarely regard the sexual organs of other kingdoms with an air of romanticism......  :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal