We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wentworth Castle Gardens  (Read 5000 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Wentworth Castle Gardens
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:56:33 PM »
This is a super historic garden which has been recently rediscovered and restored. Mick Mclaughlin provided an overview in a previous string which I shan't repeat herehttp://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/inforum.html.

Type: Historic garden and parkland. Formal gardens, follies, informal wilderness, rhododendron glades, stumpery and fernery, shrubbery, Victorian bedding displays with elevated viewing platforms, Stainborough Castle, rockery - in short something for everyone. NCCPG national collections of rhododendrons (grouped according to plant hunet; Wilson, Forrest and Kingdon-Ward), camellia x williamsii and species magnolia. Best time to visit May for rhodo display.

Facilites: V. good. Shop and tea room. Open every day (except Christmas) 1000-1700 summer, 1000-1600 winter. Staff very friendly and welcoming. www.wentworthcastle.org for more information. RHS concession and BBC 2 for 1 accepted.

Information: Free trail guide to parkland and useful 24 page booklet to gardens (£1.45)

Owners: Wentworth Castle Trust (charity)

Henderson Rating: 4.2/5 (definitely worth a detour)

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

Re: Wentworth Castle Gardens
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »
and a few more pictures
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
a few more.....the rock garden could do with some help - any local members interested?

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
and now the last few because I'm sure you're getting bored..

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
Just to advise of a forthcoming event at Wentworth:

Jacobites and Tories, Whigs and True Whigs: Political Gardening in Britain c 1700-c1760.

Conference 6-8 August 2010, Wentworth Castle Gardens

The conference will identify the symbolism and meanings embeded within country estates of Tory and Jacobite landowners. Discussion will centre on whether these landscapes can be distinguished from those of Whig politicians, and whether Tories and Jacobites created an iconography of dissent from the Whig governments that managed Britain on behalf of the Hanoverian monachs.

It is probably not of immediate interest to the avid rock gardener but who knows the club has catholic tastes and it might be someone's cup of tea - it certainly seems a stimulating subject.

More details from www.gardenhistorysociety.org

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
and now the last few because I'm sure you're getting bored..
Not at all - it looks a fascinating garden.  I'd love to see the glasshouses restored.  Many thanks for posting.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
yet another site, like Bretton Hall, that hosted a teacher training college.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
I believe there is a forumist who is a gardener there Gary something. Just found it catching up on posts, forum name is scatigaz.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:27:14 PM by Mick McLoughlin »
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »
I believe there is a forumist who is a gardener there Gary something. Just found it catching up on posts, forum name is scatigaz.

There  can be no doubt we have forumists who are gardeners in some of the very nicest places, eh?!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

scatigaz

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:03:04 PM »
     Hi Gary here. I don't work as a gardener at Wentworth Castle but i am the caretaker there. Gardening is one of my hobbies. I manage to get into the gardens [for short periods] around 5 days per week and feel very privileged to do so. We have been open to the public for just over three years now and it is brilliant watching the changes take place. Any time of year is worth a visit but my favourite times are early spring for the thousands of English Primroses on display and late May for the Rhododendrons. Another hobby of mine is recording the wildlife on the estate. If anyone visits Wentworth Castle please feel free to ask for me and i will assist in any way i can. Many thanks.
gary lee

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
Thanks for that clarification, Gary..... good to hear the place has got someone so keen looking after it.... makes all the difference to have interested folks involved, I think.
I'm a real rhodo fan myself, but the thought of thousands of primroses sounds absolutely fantastic!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

scatigaz

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:53:17 PM »
     Hi Gail. Sorry about the length of the time for the reply but it looks very much like we should be getting the conservatory restored to its former glory. We have a series of steps to go through applying for funding. We have now reached the final stage and will be forwarding the final bid this in December and will find out in March if we are successful. If all goes well the conservatory should be complete late 2012 or early 2013. Fingers crossed. Gary
gary lee

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
That sounds really exciting - we will watch progress with interest!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

scatigaz

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
Just to let people know that Wentworth Castle Gardens is due to appear on countryfile on Sunday 30th January for around 7 minutes. They have been filming all day and should be featuring the conservatory, which hopefully we will get funding to restore it in the next 2 to 3 months, Wentworth Castle itself, Stainborough Castle (a large folly in the gardens, deer feeding and the gardens. Should be interesting.
gary lee

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »
We'll keep an eye out for that and best of luck with the funding.
Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal