We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2007  (Read 75596 times)

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
Re: March 2007
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2007, 04:55:27 PM »
Anne,the very best of luck for to-morrow.The weather appears to be holding up,at least down here.I am still waiting for the optimum time to show you my pride and joy but am taking pictures daily in case the frost wipes it out.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 11:17:38 PM by johngennard »
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
Thank you all for your answers, particularly Hans for sending me a copy of the list.  Sadly ;D I have been to a talk by Ann Borrill this afternoon on small bulbous plants with a list of desirables ...then Hans sends the list.  Oh dear I haven't recovered from the Galanthus spending yet  ;)  Still a bit of what you fancy does you good, what a great list I will have a good read this evening.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
Some pics of Cyclamen libanoticum. I really love this plant, it's easy from seed, flowers quickly and it's just beautiful. The first one is labelled JB..now I was given seed by someone whose initials are JB but I have a feeling he told me it originally came from John Blanchard. The other is derived from an Eliot Hodgkin collection in the 60s. The leaves are different, almost glossy, the flowers have more pointed petals and are darker pink. And it's a lot slower and harder to grow.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »
As promised, some tuberous corydalis flowering now in the garden.

First, Corydalis malkensis.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
Ok that worked. I'll try posting multiple pics.

C. solida varieties:
'Sixtus'
'Dieter Schacht'
'Maxima'
'Cantata'
'Firecracker'

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »
Also, some superb bergenia hybrids bought from Blackthorn Nursery on the South Coast a few years ago. They were seedlings, so I picked out the best I could see and this, I think is the best of them all:

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »
And a few more from today:

Cardamine quinquefolia is becoming a bit of a weed here. But a lovely one. Most bulbs manage to come up through it.

Then Rhododendron 'Tessa Rosa'.

Magnolia stellata.

Cyclamen pseudibericum in the open garden.

And finally, one of my Helleborus hybridus seedlings. I'm trying to breed good clean pale pinks.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2007, 10:42:19 PM »
I've just done some checking back on the bergenia I posted earlier, and they were seedlings raised at Blackthorn Nursery using the not completely hardy white-flowered B. emeiensis (which I also have) which gives them rather more refined flowers than most hybrids, I think. They've been hardy with me in a sheltered bed near the warmth of the street, for a few winters now. But not through a really hard winter (if we ever get one of those again).

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2007, 10:52:45 PM »
Certainly a good, showy flower on the pink bergenia, Martin. Stands well, too, which can't be said for all of them.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2007, 11:14:51 PM »
What a brilliant collection Martin. Thanks a million. But I WISH the Ruksans catalogue hadn't been mentioned and discussed. Thomas in Neustadt sent me an electonic copy (no pics) a while back and I've been having dreams of the contents ever since (and especially following the SRGC January Journal arrived) but then they turn to nightmares as I realize I can't get ANYTHING from it. You in the northern hemisphere and especially in the EU where there seem to be no restrictions on the movement of plant material, or few anyway, have no idea how amazingly fortunate you all are. I truly hope you appreciate it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2007, 11:21:16 PM »
Yes, Maggi, the very upright strong flower stems were one of the features that made me splash out on (I think) four different seedling plants. They stand bolt upright, not leaning over like many bergenias. And the petals have a lovely smooth and perfect texture to them. The leaves look good all year too, nice and glossy, not coarse and rough. All excellent features inherited from B. emeiensis. I should try some back-crosses.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »
A few pictures from a wonderful spring day yesterday:

Ipheion

9483-0

Echeveria

9485-1

Hellebore - single dark

9489-2

Hellebore - double pink

9493-3

Hellebore - single pink (plus greenfly!  They have been really badbly affected by greenfly this year - worse than I have ever known).

9495-4

Hellebore - double white with spots

9497-5

Greengage

9499-6

Yellow weed (Ranunculus) to be dug out before seeding.

9501-7

Forsythia

9503-8

Fingers crossed for some sunshine today.

John
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:14:43 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »
Beautiful plants all around the British Isles so it seems - here's some from the continent :

1) Pieris Japonica "Valley Valentine"
2) Magnolia stellata "Kobold" - still undamaged by the weather.
3) Erythronium tuolumnense
4) Muscari azureum
5) Eranthis Cilicia
6) Iris unguicularis "Mary Barnard" - this is an older picture - I'm just posting it because there was a discussion going on a couple of days ago regarding Iris unguicularis.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2007, 04:04:53 PM »
Martin, John and Luc,

beautiful plants all of you thanks for the pictures. That's another list of "must haves" I have made.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »
The page above was a great photographic treat. Loved seeing all the different plant people grow but was particularly taken by Martin's selection of Corydalis solida cultivars. They are centainly excellent plants.

I can only sympathise with you Lesley re difficulties of obtaining the selection of plants which are available for us here in the northern hemisphere but, then again, you have a wodnerful selection of plants growing in the wild that we would be delighted to have in our gardens.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal