We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 23720 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:07 PM »
It is many years since I did grow broad bean but I remember the flowers ;)

A few Geraniums. of the common type but I like them nevertheless :)

Geranium macrorrhizum

540606-0

Don't remember the name of this hybrid!

540608-1

540610-2

...nor this one

540612-3

Not a cranesbill but the promising buds of Anemopsis californica

540614-4
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Tristan_He

« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2016, 09:38:59 PM »

I know I've posted this before but I do love it and it's fully out now - Leucogenes leontopodium.

Can't remember the name of this houseleek. They are handy for a poor dry spot though and architectural in a quiet way.

Ornithogalum ponticum 'Sochi' from Janis. Very beautiful though perhaps a dark background would be better to appreciate the flowers.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2016, 10:59:44 PM »
You can't have too many pictures of the Leucogenes Tristan. : ) If you hadn't said otherwise I would have assumed it was taken in its natural scree-like home. The setting is perfect. One of my favourite, perhaps the most, of our native alpines, and relatively easy though I lost a couple to dryness this last summer.

I was very excited by the first broad bean picture, such a super black and white flower, then went on to realize what it was. Yes, we do overlook some of the commonest and most obvious things until they're pointed out. I love broad beans and have so far planted two double rows at the (southern hemisphere) traditional time of Easter. Easter was quite early this year and maybe it was too soon as the first row is already 50 cms high and showing the beginnings of buds whereas winter is still just getting into its stride. So I hope they come through all right. The second row, sown two weeks later is a bit different, of a var called (here) 'Hughey's Crimson' and has flowers of a lovely deep crimson pink. In due course I'll photograph it for the Forum. I first saw it in flower last November at one of the Iris Soc Convention gardens and I think in that large and beautiful garden, full of all kinds of treasures, the broad bean caused the most excitement! The name came from the Blue Mountain Nursery business of Denis Huighes and his family who have rescued the bean from somewhere, not sure where, and grown it up to a commercial variety. I thought it was something new but a quick Google told me it was grown in Europe as long ago as 1750, so, as they say, nothing new under the sun. I'm told the beans taste very good.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hoy

« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2016, 10:30:53 AM »
Leucogenes is a gem! How easy is it from seed?

Tristan_He

« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »
No idea I'm afraid Trond, but I can try sending you a piece if you like. It's easy from cuttings though a little slow to establish. Should be easy in Norway I would have thought.

Lesley, this was planted during construction of the rockery using the time honoured 'tear up a clump and jam the pieces into crevices' technique. It does give a very naturalistic look which I like. Living on a stony Welsh hillside I also have a more or less inexhaustible supply of rocks, stones and gravel of various sizes, which I like to make use of. The local slate pieces also come in handy for crevice gardens.

Hoy

« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
Tristan, I'll PM you :)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »
It is quite easy from seed Trond, much less so to find good seed. I crumble the dead flower heads each year and sow the lot, (fluffy stuff with no visible or identifiable seed) and maybe get a seedling if I'm lucky. This from my own plants. The quality may be better from wild plants but this is a North Island plant and I have never been in the N. I. mountains. Not sure how far south it extends. Cuttings are quite easy though. I do mine in gritty sand, or sand/pumice mixture.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

meanie

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
Loverly flowers on the broad bean, I remember them fron when I was a kid, I hated them. Is it the runner bean which is the climber with the red flowers?
How can you hate broad beans! It was one of the few veg that my Mum couldn't make a pigs ear of cooking!
Yes, the flowers of runner beans are predominantly red although not exclusively.

I was very excited by the first broad bean picture, such a super black and white flower, then went on to realize what it was. Yes, we do overlook some of the commonest and most obvious things until they're pointed out. I love broad beans and have so far planted two double rows at the (southern hemisphere) traditional time of Easter. Easter was quite early this year and maybe it was too soon as the first row is already 50 cms high and showing the beginnings of buds whereas winter is still just getting into its stride. So I hope they come through all right. The second row, sown two weeks later is a bit different, of a var called (here) 'Hughey's Crimson' and has flowers of a lovely deep crimson pink. In due course I'll photograph it for the Forum. I first saw it in flower last November at one of the Iris Soc Convention gardens and I think in that large and beautiful garden, full of all kinds of treasures, the broad bean caused the most excitement! The name came from the Blue Mountain Nursery business of Denis Huighes and his family who have rescued the bean from somewhere, not sure where, and grown it up to a commercial variety. I thought it was something new but a quick Google told me it was grown in Europe as long ago as 1750, so, as they say, nothing new under the sun. I'm told the beans taste very good.
Even if I didn't like the Broad Bean it is the sort of plant that appeals to my sense of the ornamental. It's high time that I tried a few other varieties so I'll look out for Hugheys or something similar.
As an aside, one night many years ago on the way back from the pub I decided to scrump a few from a field on the way home. T-shirt off and knotted as a bag and it was soon full. I soon tucked into them and they were vile! Turns out that the form grown as cattle feed are not good eaters at all!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
..... back for another few pints to get rid of the taste? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

meanie

« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
..... back for another few pints to get rid of the taste? ;D
Had it not been about half three in the morning I probably would have  ;D
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #175 on: June 26, 2016, 12:38:12 AM »
Is it the runner bean which is the climber with the red flowers?
It will take an amazing bean to beat the old (but still the best of its kind) 'Scarlet Runner.' I could almost live on them through the summer, just add some 'Black Krim' tomatoes and a few leaves of lovage. :D

Hoy

« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
It is quite easy from seed Trond, much less so to find good seed. I crumble the dead flower heads each year and sow the lot, (fluffy stuff with no visible or identifiable seed) and maybe get a seedling if I'm lucky. This from my own plants. The quality may be better from wild plants but this is a North Island plant and I have never been in the N. I. mountains. Not sure how far south it extends. Cuttings are quite easy though. I do mine in gritty sand, or sand/pumice mixture.

Thanks for the info Lesley. I hope I can eventually try both seeds and cuttings ;)

Hoy

« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »
Although quite easy to grow (I had broad beans at home for several years) it is no beans and not much else up here - I crossed the mountains yesterday and it is still much snow. Made a quick halt to stretch the legs.

The lake Ståvatn at the border between Hordaland and Telemark counties.

540795-0

The road to back home

540797-1

Salix sp

540799-2

Carex sp

540801-3

Cryptogamma crispa and Athyrium distenifolium

540803-4
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:23:19 AM by Hoy »

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2016, 08:45:31 PM »
Clematis 'Bijou' from the relatively new group of low growing Clematis varieties.

Sedum glaucophyllum, the Appalachian stonecrop, grown in a part shaded location.

In my so-called rock garden - Hieracium lanatum; I keep it as a pet :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2016, 02:38:48 AM »
Nice and furry Gabriela, does it sleep on the end of your bed? ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal