We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 23648 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: June 2016 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2016, 11:40:44 AM »
Gabriela :Clematis 'Bijou' from the relatively new group of low growing Clematis varieties.   

Gabriela - I know nothing of these plants - can you describe  more of their habit /size? Looks interesting.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »
540966-0

Convolvulus cneorum. Or at least, it was... :-\

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2016, 03:01:54 PM »
But what a VERY cute destroyer!  ;)

Tristan_He

« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »
Yes, that's Pippi. We sadly had to put our old lab/retriever cross Willow to sleep earlier this year - she was 15 and had cancer. Having a puppy is a bit of a shock to the system!

She's mostly good but we are going to have to accept some collateral damage in the garden for a bit I think.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2016, 06:50:27 PM »
Nice and furry Gabriela, does it sleep on the end of your bed? ;D

:) I often think of going to sleep outside in the summertime Lesley, if not for the too many mosquitoes.... >:(
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »
Gabriela - I know nothing of these plants - can you describe  more of their habit /size? Looks interesting.

I can only say what I read about them Maggi - I only bought it a couple of weeks ago (I was at the garden center to buy bags with soil actually :-\ It's a collection of compact plants, supposed to grow about 30 cm. Recommended mostly for containers, hanging baskets and, most important, advertised as being more heat tolerant.
I can already tell that I planted it in a bad location, need to wait for a cooler day to move it.

Days with above 30C temperatures and blasting sun, one after another in southern Ontario...
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
Thanks Gabriela - "more heat tolerant"  eh?  Not that I think that will be a problem for them here- if I were to find them!  ::)

meanie

« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2016, 08:47:52 PM »

The lake Ståvatn at the border between Hordaland and Telemark counties.

(Attachment Link)

The road to back home

(Attachment Link)

If it wasn't for the ice I would be envious of your scenery!

An unknown Martagon (?) Lily...............
West Oxon where it gets cold!

jomowi

« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2016, 09:50:33 PM »
Re. the various comments about broad beans.  Those of you who claim to hate them are probably eating them when they are too well developed and gone 'floury'.  Picked very young, they are delicious and the skins are not tough, or the inner flesh floury.  TV chefs remove the skins, which to me is time consuming, a waste and not necessary if you pick them young enough.  The best variety for flavour which we grow in our Museum garden is called 'Perla' and is available from Mr. Fothergill's, DT Brown and Kelways.  My favourite meal is broad beans and crispy bacon. Cut the bacon into small squares, fry until crispy, and toss the cooked beans in them to coat them with the bacon fat. Yummy!
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

meanie

« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »
Re. the various comments about broad beans.  Those of you who claim to hate them are probably eating them when they are too well developed and gone 'floury'.  Picked very young, they are delicious and the skins are not tough, or the inner flesh floury.  TV chefs remove the skins, which to me is time consuming, a waste and not necessary if you pick them young enough.  The best variety for flavour which we grow in our Museum garden is called 'Perla' and is available from Mr. Fothergill's, DT Brown and Kelways.  My favourite meal is broad beans and crispy bacon. Cut the bacon into small squares, fry until crispy, and toss the cooked beans in them to coat them with the bacon fat. Yummy!
I cannot comment on varieties as mine are from saved seed with the linage going back to my father. But I can agree totally regarding the deliciousness of a good broad bean.
And the versatility. Pureed, a dash of good olive oil, a little garlic, grate some parmesan in and mix, then spread over some good toasted bread and grill. Add them to rice to go with your curry. Add to casseroles. Add to tomato based bean and chorizo stews. Or simply cooked to go with a traditional roast. Just plain yummy!
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2016, 11:35:11 PM »
And a wonderful risotto with fresh green peas, lightly cooked, some chives and parsley and a good dose of grated parmesan. :P
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2016, 03:59:27 AM »
Stop it, you lot >:(
you're making me hungry ;D
Our Broad beans (the Americans call them Fava Beans ... remember "Silence of the Lambs"?) are only a few inches tall - we won't be picking any pods for quite a while,
cheers
fermi
PS Pippi is very cute, Tristan, and there will be collateral damage ;D Is she also a Lab/retriever cross?
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2016, 08:13:36 AM »
Petunia exserta - photographed a few days before, looking much better than today after endless rain showers

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Tristan_He

« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2016, 09:13:16 PM »
Pippi is very cute, Tristan, and there will be collateral damage ;D Is she also a Lab/retriever cross?

She's 3/4 poodle and 1/4 cocker spaniel Fermi, so a bit smaller. Non shedding which is handy. She is very cute and wants to be everyone's friend.

Actually the collateral damage has been limited so far, fingers crossed!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2016, 11:25:03 AM »
Petunia exserta - photographed a few days before, looking much better than today after endless rain showers

Gerd
I couldn't resist sharing  here this article from Robbie Blackhall-Miles - he writes of Petunia exserta, being grown from seed from  Derry at Special Plants !! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2015/jul/30/petunia-exserta-a-flower-on-the-brink-of-extinction

In order to keep the species though, it may be necessary to grow it well away from other petunias- http://www.specialplants.net/shop/seeds/petunia_exserta/ 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal