We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: EXPEDITION TO KAZAKHSTAN ALTAI MONGOLIA BAIKAL HOKKAIDO JUNE 2014  (Read 5561 times)

Susann

EXPEDITION TO KAZAKHSTAN, SOUTH ALTAI, MONGOLIA, BAIKAL AREA AND HOKKAIDO IN JUNE 2014

As some of you might already know I had to postpone my expedition until 2014.

The main purpose of the expedition is to study Pulsatilla localities during a time of approximately six weeks with start around the beginning of June in 2014. You are welcome to join the expedition for part of the time or during all expedition.

The expedition is to start in Kazakhstan where localities in mountain and steppe are to be visited, before heading for the southern mountains of Altai, Russia. From Altai it will continue to Ulaan Baatar in Mongolia. In Mongolia localities in mountain and steppe are to be studied before the route goes  to Baikal area, Russia. The end of the expedition is to take place in the mountains in Hokkaido; the northern Japanse island.  The longer distances will be by the Transsibirian Railway. Hokkaido will be reached by air from Amur or Vladivostok.

As said above the main purpose of the expedition is to study Pulsatillas, but I will of course try to adapt it  to your suggestions if you wish to join. No details are set yet, but with this route I hope it will be possible to study at least eleven species and subspecies of Pulsatilla, possibly some more.

If possible seed collection will take place for Botanical Gardens and seed lists.

If you are interested in joining or just want more details, please contact me.

The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Susann

Re: EXPEDITION TO KAZAKHSTAN ALTAI MONGOLIA BAIKAL HOKKAIDO JUNE 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
I just want to give my search for companions a push back to the top as it is falling way down in the list due to no replies. I am still looking for company for part of or whole expedition.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
Susann is making preparations for her 2014  trip and is still on the lookout for companions to join her on this  exploring trip.

There will be a large number of fine plants to be seen on such an expedition - anyone interested can pm Susann or via the website contact button, or info@srgc.org.uk where I  can pass on your message to her.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susann

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:34:59 AM »
I think Maggi is challenging AGS Tours with "Maggi´s Travel Agency"?  Please, follow her advice not only in contacting me but also joining me for part of the trip or the whole journey. I can personally assure that Maggi´s description of the trip is correct; there will be many very interesting plants to see besides Pulsatillas.
I leave for the Pyréenes Friday 23th, being out of internet connection for a while, but I will be at the Dundee bulb meeting if you would like to speak to me.

Sayat

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:59:22 AM »
Hi, I am a student. I am interested in your expedition to Altai. I live in a village near the Altai.

Sayat

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:06 AM »
I would like to know which route  you go through the Altai. Could you give me more information. I want to know what about the financial side. Can I join to your expedition. How much does it cost?

Susann

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Dear Sayat,

thank you for your message. I will contact you privately

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
EXPEDITION TO KAZAKHSTAN ALTAI MONGOLIA BAIKAL HOKKAIDO JUNE 2014
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:38:14 AM »
As Susann prepares to leave for her trip, she has sent this message :

Dear Rockers!
I just have to tell you how impressed I was by the plants you showed, and the organization of, the Perth Show which I  recently attended.

I would also like to thank everybody for your kindness and encouragement, and of course for the Club´s support of my Pulsatilla project. I really hope that I will be able to pay back in some way. Without the support  of the SRGC ( and NARGS- especially Jane Grushow that I am sure has some Scottish blood running trough her veins) it would not have been possible to do this trip.

I have been able to arrange that professional botanists will help me -opening their herbariums for me,  and most important, going into field with me, in every corner of my trip. I hope I will be really fed up with Pulsatillas when I come back. The passport is filled with visas and the backpack is ready by the door, so I just wish you all a good growing season, and  see you in August!

Susann

Another example of the SRGC Grant support in action  8)   Good luck Susann!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susann

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:39:28 AM »
Dear Rockers, I just want to tell you all that I am now back from my journey in Central Asia and Far East, and no, I am not fed up with Pulsatillas, although I have - only in one day- seen more Pulsatillas than I thought were growing in the Universe. To that you can add all the others I was able to see. I have learnt so much and I have also got a lot of very nice pictures ( almost lost in one occation, that would have been horrible) and also quite a lot of seeds. They will be sent to the Botanical Gardens of Gothenburg and Edinburgh and of course the Scottish and Northamerican seedlists.

I am now planning for the second part of this project, which will be studying the European species. Third, but probably not last, part will be Northamerica. I have to admit that I am looking for some excuses to go back to Mongolia. Perhaps having seen a species only in fruit is a reason good enough for going back?

I will post photos at the forum later on, but probably not before autumn, as my small B&B is quite busy right now and the garden...Where is the garden? Might it be hidden under all the thistles and Stellaria media? Anyway, I hope to see a lot of you in the Summer Meeting. And once again, thank you for supporting me!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »
Susann - really nice to hear that your (quite epic) journey went so well! It will be wonderful to see pictures of the plants and add to the stimulus that has come from all those photos you and Olga and others showed here earlier on, and Chris Grey-Wilson's book. These are definitely going to be up and coming plants in the garden thanks to all this!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

astragalus

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »
Wonderful that your trip went so well.  Looking forward very much to your photos and descriptions.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 04:15:53 PM »
 Hi Susann,   Lovely to hear from you!  Do you mean you will come to the Dunblane event?   Will be wonderful to catch up with you and your big trip!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Susann

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Chris, yes, you are correct, I am attending the Dunblane meeting. The last year I have been visiting Scotland so many times so one would think I now understand the Scottish accent, but no! So, I will give it a new try. I have had the haggis though, and I liked it very much, it is like our Swedish pölsa. We eat it boiled or fried with fried egg and beetroot in vinager.

Tim and "Astragalus", thank you for your kind words. Photos and article will come, but please have some patience with me.

greenspan

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 09:19:38 AM »
hello susann, welcome back :D ...i'm quite fidgety to see what you found out about our plants of desire.  8) (btw... a sugawarai flowered this year in my garden ;))
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Susann

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 09:55:41 AM »
Wow, congratulations!  I have never succeded to bring them to flower.  ( Maggi, we need a green smiley to show our feelings sometimes)
451785-0
Pulsatilla sugawarii in case there is anyone who do not have a clear idea of what a beauty we are talking about

Fidgety was a new word to me, I have to look it up.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal