We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: EXPEDITION TO KAZAKHSTAN ALTAI MONGOLIA BAIKAL HOKKAIDO JUNE 2014  (Read 5560 times)

Susann

Re: EXPEDITION TO KAZAKHSTAN ALTAI MONGOLIA BAIKAL HOKKAIDO JUNE 2014
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:58 AM »
I have added some pictures from the trip in another thread which means I have some images that are already converted to JPEG. So I will post them here too.

Pulsatilla bungeana v tenuiloba. It was a quite big population in the desert in Mongolia. Just a few minutes later a heavy rain came and the driver litterary dragged me into the jeep. It was so hard to leave these beauties. Please, do not ask me where it was because I got so excited by the finding so I totally forgot to register the hight or the gps-point. I did not dare to ask the driver to drive back again, he was a very temper man, but that is another story...

I had three totally unrealistic dreams; one of them was to see P campanella. Well, here it is. I was able to see it in the very first day in Kazakhstan in slope at 2 6000 m in Tien Shan, close to the border of Kyrgyzstan.  It grow together with Primula albertii and two or three species of tiny yellow Tulipa. In the afternoon a few snowflings began to fall and the next day the big population was covered in snow.

Pulsatilla multifida filled form at 520 m in SE Novosibirsk territory in Russia. It was a big population with mostly white flowers. Some of them had wonderful reverses with thick grey hair.

Some days in Mongolia were spent in a strictly protected area where no tourists were allowed.  ( Sometimes the moody driver came in handy. I do not know which lies he told the grumpy forrest ranger, but we were able to camp in the site for three nights) The Mongols referred to this mountain only as High Mountain not telling its name.  It was situated  in a mountain range not far from Uliastai, the oldest settlement in Mongolia. We spent a whole day in the saddle ( eleven hours to be precise;my poor knees want me to point that out to you) and went through valley to valley with never-ending meadows of P multifida in fruit. I have written before in this thread that I saw more Pulsatillas than I could image there was in Universe. But, I did not collect one single seeds, as the area was strictly protected. And besides, according to the buddists; the mountain´s owner would have gotten very angry with me if I collected any seeds, and he would have sent yet another heavy thunderstorm to show me his powers. And I had quite enough of the thunders anyway.

Finally one more picture of P multifida, please note the beautiful reverse of the sepals.

My three dreams? Too see P campanella, and to find P bungeana v astragaliifolia and P taraoi ssp nipponica. They all came true! But I will tell you more about that another time. Let me just finish this first small report with a summary of the trip: It was more than successful; I could not hope nor image to see and learn so much as I have been able to. Once again thank you for your support!
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
 What a delight Susann.  Must have been such a thrill to see your beloved pulsatillas in the wild like that!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Susann

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
I just got home from a very inspiring week in Scotland where I met a lot of skilled rockers. In a weak moment after a very nice pudding I promised to write an article about my trip in search of Pulsatillas, so this will be the last pictures you will find in the forum. More will be published in the journal; I will try to write it as soon as autumn (or winter) is rainy and cold enough to keep me indoor.
If you are not already a member of SRGC the possibility to read about my trip might be as good reason as anyone to join! And of course, you will have the opportunity to read many more -and much more interesting- articles than mine.

Pulsatilla ambigua in Mongolia; about 2 500 m

Pulsatilla turczaninovii, also in Mongolia

I was a little worried when I realized I had to climb all the way to the peak in the background in search of Pulsatilla taraoi ssp nipponica; first down into the valley and then all the way up again

but it was of course worth it. The species is not beautiful at all, just very very rare.

A planthunt is not always exciting, which I think the last picture shows.

The picture, taken by Elin Finnerup in Kazakhstan, shows Inga Epiktetova, that many of you met in Tabor last year, and me desperately searching for some action.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »
Ooh can hardly wait for your article Susann, will be such a treat.  I have put the ones above on my seed want list already....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »
We looking forward to it Susann !  ::)

I agree , again a very good reason to become a member of the SRGC.   
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Susann

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
I am sorry to say that I think you have to wait. And for a long time I am afraid. The weather is good and the B&B busy, so there is not time for writing.
454182-0
In another thread Olga revealed my weakness for mentha icecream. But there is actually one thing I like more; horses. And, this summer I saw almost as many horses as Pulsatilla.

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 08:01:40 PM »
I am sorry to say that I think you have to wait. And for a long time I am afraid. The weather is good and the B&B busy, so there is not time for writing.
(Attachment Link)
In another thread Olga revealed my weakness for mentha icecream. But there is actually one thing I like more; horses. And, this summer I saw almost as many horses as Pulsatilla.
Most of us - people who are involved with this kind of plants -are very patient Susann.
I start my interest in plants with growing cacti .....so to be patient is one of my second natures.....
Okay  B&B you said , that is interesting !     
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Roma

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 08:06:39 PM »
Like the picture of the horses, Susann.  One of my passions too.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »
Susann - I think most of us are a little in awe of your journey, which obviously has a lot more to it than just pulsatillas. I hope we won't have to wait too long to hear about it and see your photographs - just the few you show capture it so well.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Susann

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
Thank you to all three of you. Cacti...Yes, I gave it a try some years ago and sowed a few. They are now big enough so others than me can actually see they are real plants, and have begun to show their characters a couple of years ago. I tsuspect it is very dangerous-addictable-to get to involved with cacti. I had a guest at the B&B this summer whose father is the most famous cacti grower in Denmark. The guest of course had a look-not too impressed I am afraid-at mine, and told me a lot about them. It was very interesting and I learnt a lot. But I will try to keep away from them. There is really no time for more interests.

Rhododendron camtschaticum/Terorhodium camschaticum in Hokkaido at 1730 m

In Russian Far East were incredible many butterflies. When I was amazed by it the locals kept saying it was nothing, that I should see how many there were in August.

OK, these were the last pictures...

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »
Susann

My what a delicious pink form of camtschaticum that is, to say nothing about the spectacular scenery!  Will you go back for seed...... ;)?

johnw
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:35:03 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Susann

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 05:11:25 PM »
Oh, to do that climb once again...This time I was motivated by finding the Pulsatilla nipponica, but to do it again in the same place? I am a mid aged women who likes chocolate and icecream a lot. It does not fit very well with climbing mountains.

I keep saying "no more pictures here". But this photo is not mine, so it does not count. This is the cliff where the Rh/Terorhodium and Pulsatilla nipponica grew. The photographer is Hirosho Yuzawa. The waving girl is Sachiyo Yuzawa and the one in blue is me.

Susann

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 01:00:35 AM »
I got a mail from Dieter Zschummel the other day asking when is the promised article to be published? Well, now your gardening season is beginning again...Of course I wouldn´t dream of  stealing your attention from such important business. And, probably you wouldn´t care about reading anything in July...But Anton Editor and I have agreed on publishing the article in next winter issue of the journal. I am so sorry for the delay but hopefully the delay will bring more intresting pictures to the article.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal