We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring weather 2012  (Read 15433 times)

angie

Re: Spring weather 2012
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
Are we having a dry spell in Scotland, was over in the west coast yesterday and coming home we noticed how low the river bed was  :o  ::)

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2012, 09:21:56 PM »
Chilly and wet here- but no complaints- we are not past the point where the rain is beneficial overall, not as cold as Maggie in NB (highs 10-19C this week, lows 3-9C), no tornadoes as there were farther south in Alberta last night, nor winds as bad as in Calgary, nor the 100mm of rain possible in the foothills....

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
As we batten down the hatches to face a 70mph gale later today the barometer in the hall is as low as I've ever seen it and still falling. Had breakfast with the light on to read the paper and dipped beam on the car to run Maureen to the hairdressers. Heavy squally showers at the moment and I've just closed the roof vents down in the greenhouse. This is the fifth rainy day in June so far. Did someone once say "Oh to be in England now that Spring is here"? I did warn you all of this a few days ago when I put shade paint on the greenhouse!

We fly off to Madeira for a week on Monday and it's not a brilliant forecast ther either. Am I a rain God or something?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
David hope there won't be any damage with you. I hate having high wind speeds at anytime and we are so used to it up here but at this time of year it just ruins the garden. It rained all day here yesterday and more rain forecasted today and tomorrow, any room for me in your suitcase.
Enjoy your holiday, whatever weather you will have will be 100% better than we are having now.
I did say wash of your shading  ::)  ;)

Here is another picture of the low water taken on Tuesday, I presume the lowered the water levels in the loch for some reason  ;).
Angie T.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »
I saw the weather in action yesterday and remembered my geography lesson. I was out looking for bats when I saw rain clouds coming. I was on the north west side of mountains. I called off the survey and headed home over the mountain. On the other side of the mountain it was dry - the rain shadow.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2012, 01:03:15 PM »
It has been dry over in the north-west Angie, I was there at the beginning of the month and the weather was glorious  ;D
Also some of those lochs are used for hydroelectric schemes. I gather that they release water to generate power when demand in high, and sometimes pump it back up to a higher loch during the night when there is power to spare.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »
Beautiful weather here today...if you are a duck ;D
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

angie

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
It has been dry over in the north-west Angie, I was there at the beginning of the month and the weather was glorious  ;D
Also some of those lochs are used for hydroelectric schemes. I gather that they release water to generate power when demand in high, and sometimes pump it back up to a higher loch during the night when there is power to spare.

Peter I wandered why they would have dropped the level that much, further up the loch there was hardly any water and the ground was turning green. 
Fed up of this weather now. I WANT SOME SUN  ;D

Angie :)

Angie T.

ronm

« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:10 PM »
I hope no one minds me posting this link, and sending our thoughts to the people of Taiwan, so adversely affected by very heavy rain, :o

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2012/06/13/344199/Torrential-rain.htm

That's approx. 1M ( 3 feet ) of rain in 2 1/2 days.
I used to drive this road often so feel this personally,

Our thoughts are with you all.

Thanks SRGC for the opportunity to highlight this situation. 8)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »
Ironic that this deluge is afflicting Taiwan just as several areas of the USA, most notably Colorado, are suffering horrible bush fires.
The world is a frightening place. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »
Yes, it doesn't seem we can get the weather/precipitation evenly distributed does it? We've been rather soggy, though not really problematically so- apart from those foolish farmers who try to plant crops in the low spots in fields best left to native vegetation!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »
This explains it!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2012, 12:50:02 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2012, 01:33:48 PM »
While waiting for better weather you can join on this 1 1/2 hours drive in western Norway filmed last week. Parts of the road opened last week after being closed in winter. It is still snow in the mountains! The more than 100km drive takes you from mountains to fjords. The best part however is the last 15 minutes ;)

http://nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/more_og_romsdal/1.8202512
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »
Nice one Anthony,
Is this something else we can blame on Microsoft?  8)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal