We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus March 2012  (Read 37313 times)

Jan

Re: Crocus March 2012
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
Crocus michelsonii grows very well, no problem

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2012, 04:31:31 PM »
my Crocus michelsonii

Superb, I'v never seen such a mass of C. michelsonii. Thanks for sharing.

Crocus alatavicus

That's an interesting form!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
Does vanguard cross with tommasinianus? This bicoloured Crocus pop up everywhere in my garden. It is looking a little similar to Vanguard.

Hoy,
possibly yes. 'Vanguard' is a selection of van Tubergen nurserie from a Russian C. vernus.
It is known since 1934.

Trond, I have the same 'problem' with bicoloured tommasinianus, but I have no vangaurd in my garden, so I suppose it is a variation of tommasinianus or maybe a vernus x.

Tommasinianus is spreading all over my garden in many different forms, but it is a pretty 'weed'. I think it really appreciate our cool and moist Nordic gardens.

Poul

Thanks both, Armin and Poul.
I know I have planted Vanguard sometimes but that's a long time ago.
It is exactly this kind of weed I love ;) And certainly tommasinianus loves the climate here 8)

Jan, You says C michelsonii grows very well, I can see that! What a sight!! What kind of climate do you have?
alatavicus is a special gem too ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:44 PM »
my Crocus michelsonii
Good Lord! Amazing!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
Trond, I have the same 'problem' with bicoloured tommasinianus, but I have no vangaurd in my garden, so I suppose it is a variation of tommasinianus or maybe a vernus x.
Poul
I think the bicoloured is a fairly common form of C. tommasinianus. I have them here though I have never bought them as such. They must be seedlings from one of the cultivars I bought long ago - 'Ruby Giant' or 'Whitewell Purple'.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »
Today I decided to take off cover in greenhouses regardless of very contrasting temperatures. Last night we had outside minus 17 and tonight is offered may be even minus 21 C. In greenhouse temperature in night dropped to minus 9 C but in day with open doors raised up to plus 12 C. Some crocuses (C. hittiticus started and almost finished blooming below cover), but so many came up during few hours after taking off cover, that it is impossible to show you all. So at this moment some exceptional pictures.
I'm starting with Crocus hartmannianus from Dirk. Although not very typical, it shows some hint of black in anthers. In any case very beautiful this spring. I hope it will not killed this night.
Fantastical is chrysanthus 'Black Fire' received from Rik.
Then many isauricus are in full bloom. In this entry few flowers.
Janis
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:36:00 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
Very beautiful Crocusses, Janis.  Love the 'Black Fire'.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »
In this entry hybrids between chrysanthus and biflorus isauricus. My favourite is 'Silver Gold' but I can't decide - which one of two seedlings must keep this name. Pure color and narrow tepals or speckled on yellow and better shape? This is greatest problem of plant breeder - to select best one.
Due my hand problems for me it is not easy to work at computer, so I will limit my entries with very few per day.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »
my Crocus michelsonii

Amazing Didn't know there were that many in the world   ;D
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2012, 06:06:41 PM »
In this entry hybrids between chrysanthus and biflorus isauricus. My favourite is 'Silver Gold' but I can't decide - which one of two seedlings must keep this name. Pure color and narrow tepals or speckled on yellow and better shape? This is greatest problem of plant breeder - to select best one.
Due my hand problems for me it is not easy to work at computer, so I will limit my entries with very few per day.
Janis

Those are all superb hybrids, Janis.

'Silver Gold' is wonderful, I like the second one the best, even with the speckles! For me form is the most important.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

ronm

« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
Lovely Crocus Janis. ;D
Thanks for fighting the pain to bring them to us. Most beautiful 8) 8)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
Janis, some lovely hybrids there. LIke Wim, my first thought was that the second with the better shape was the best seedling, but the one with the narrower tepals is more colourful and eye-catching. It's a hard decision!! And Black Fire is WOW!!! Just superb colouring.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

ronm

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
Only one winner for me Janis. #1. May I suggest " Silver and Gold"? Silver Gold isn't quite right. It's #1 as it has much more style, more elegance and the beautiful black tube.  :o :o :o :o. May I be the first to order one please? ;D ;D ;D ( maybe my hard hybrid stance is softening, thanks to all you forum ers)!!!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:31:20 PM by ronm »

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »
Janis limiting to the best may cause health problems for us too .... my heart may stop, they are all so beautiful :D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2012, 06:16:07 AM »
Janis,
what's to choose? #1 becomes "Silver and Gold" and #2 becomes "Gold and Silver"!
 ;D
If Marcus is still importing you can put us down for the second order after Ron!
 ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal