We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops in sun or shade?  (Read 1575 times)

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
Snowdrops in sun or shade?
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:32 PM »
I have started this as a new topic as I could not find a suitable category for my question.

Yesterday I went to look at my new bed of snowdrops under deciduous trees in the woodlands.  They were planted in April 2011 mostly all in lattice pots.  While some are flowering many others are not and I just have leaves this year.  Many are only just emerging which seems very late.

I have a large area in the woodlands which could have raised beds created for the snowdrops which was my intention.  It will be a very hard job as I first have to remove brambles, ivy and other established weeds and then build up the soil around various deciduous trees.  I know from the last bed I made that the tree roots come up into the raised bed very quickly which is a worry.  It is a long term project and would take lots of work which I will not bother with if it is not suitable for the snowdrops.  I would also be adding other woodland plants ie. Ferns, Epimedium, Hellebores, Brunnera, Cyclamen etc etc.

So my question is - do you think the snowdrops are not flowering because they are A) settling in  B) not enough light under deciduous trees or C) have problems?  I spoke to Alan B about this at the RHS and just wondered if anyone else has any views.  I was always led to believe that snowdrops loved it among the roots of deciduous trees......now I am thinking otherwise.  Which ones would tolerate shade best?  I am guessing nivalis types.

During the winter months there is plenty of light in the woodlands but I would not call it sunny.  We have had a whole row of huge conifers removed on the right hand side of the woodlands which would make this side much sunnier and maybe more suitable for elwesii and other sun loving cultivars.

Avon order arrived today and looks lovely.  Will unpack tomorrow.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:53:17 PM by kentish_lass »
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Snowdrops in sun or shade?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
I saw on the news that Kent is officially in a drought.

If your snowdrops were only planted this time last year it possible that the bulbs failed to make a strong enough bulb.

They could also be too dry.

My snowdrops grow in full sun in raised beds, semi shade is raised beds, full sun in troughs to full shade in troughs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Snowdrops in sun or shade?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
Mark

I live in the same village as Jennie and my snowdrops have never been better - growing in sun, shade, near trees etc

This year may be more difficult  :-\
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal