We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aberrant ‘Kildare’  (Read 1428 times)

Chad

Aberrant ‘Kildare’
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
When planning some garden renovation work three years ago some of my more treasured snowdrops were moved to a friend’s woodland for safe keeping.  They were moved 'in the yellow' just before I couldn't find them as they died down.

Last year 'Kildare' produced one scape with two flowers from imbricate bracts.  We put that down to the stress of the move, but this year it has done it again.  The picture is of a rather battered bloom that had been picked and moved and then sat in a vase for a couple of days while I thought about it].

Is it likely do it again, and if so should I separate it out form the [small] clump of the typical form?  Is it a desirable trait?

Chad.
Inland Cornwall

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Aberrant ‘Kildare’
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Chad i like it,i would separate it out.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »
Hi Chad

If it turned out to be stable I think that would be a very desirable trait to many collectors.

Would be a good idea to keep it separate from the others and keep your fingers, and toes, crossed.  :)

Will you be making it to the RHS London show Tomorrow?
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Chad

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Hi John,

Yes, and I hope to see you there on Tuesday.

How many years does it have to be aberrant before I can call it stable?  I've had similar odditities before but they have only ever done it once!

Chad.
Inland Cornwall

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:52:11 AM »
How many years does it have to be aberrant before I can call it stable? 

I'd say three years in a row would give you some degree of confidence that it might be stable.  Meanwhile you might get offsets that do the same thing.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal