We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus niger  (Read 838 times)

zvone

Helleborus niger
« on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Hi!

Although there is winter timely, me in garden cheers up Helleborus Niger.

Best regards!   Zvone
Ways, when it is only more beautiful with every next step!

Zvone's links to his blogspot seem not to work anymore - but you can see his photo albums here:
https://plus.google.com/111021317308786555031/posts

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Helleborus niger
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:18 PM »
It is sometimes known here in NZ as "winter rose" rather than "Christmas rose." Mine flowered really well - in September/October!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Natalia

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:58 AM »
In my garden Helleborus niger will blossom month through two... :D
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

zvone

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
Hi Lesley, hi Natalia!

They are blooming also in our country usually only at the end of February or within the beginning of March, but this year's teams is merchandise ...

Best regards!   Zvone
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:58:58 PM by zvone »
Ways, when it is only more beautiful with every next step!

Zvone's links to his blogspot seem not to work anymore - but you can see his photo albums here:
https://plus.google.com/111021317308786555031/posts

kelaidis

• http://prairiebreak.blogspot.com/
    • Denver Botanic Gardens blog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
I am amazed that hellebores can thrive as they do in Maritime Climates and also on the windy, cold steppes of America. The Lenten roses are very predictable for us (usually starting in late February, and blooming almost to May), although the nurseries hereabouts don't really start promoting outdoor gardening until March at the earliest, so many gardeners are unaware of the fabulous color range and variety of Hellebores that are commonly found in milder areas.

Helleborus niger has been sold consistently long enough that many local gardeners grow it: it has always been one of my personal favorites, and I must have ten or more placed strategically all over my garden, hoping one of them will bloom especially well (we can have arctic blasts when they are at their height that does mar the flowers somewhat). This year the weather has conspired (with almost ten substantial snowfalls in late autumn and early winter) to keep the ground moist, and a wonderful thaw has brought every one of the H. niger on my property into the best bloom ever in January. Needless to say, I'm pleased as punch. I took the following picture this morning!
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal