We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Appeal for pollen/flowers of nivalis 'Virescens' (or other virescent nivalis)  (Read 1564 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
I have a number of seedling crosses between plicatus and nivalis 'Virescens' flowering this year which I want to back-cross with virescent nivalis. But my stock of nivalis 'Virescens' was chipped three years ago and the bulbs are still not back to flowering size so I have no pollen for the back crosses.

The seedlings are obviously successful crosses, all looking either intermediate between the plicatus parent and the nivalis 'Virescens' parent or very close to nivalis 'Virescens'. But none are virescent, which leads me to think that the gene(s) for virescent outer segments may well be recessive, so that I need to back-cross with pollen from virescent nivalis or plicatus to get virescent seedlings.

I'd be immensely grateful if anyone can help me out by sending me pollen or flowers of nivalis 'Virescens' and/or any other good virescent nivalis or plicatus cultivar.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Mavers

Martin, is the green colouring in virescent snowdrops chlorophyll?

Mike 
Mike
Somerset, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
Martin, is the green colouring in virescent snowdrops chlorophyll?

Mike 

I've always assumed the green colouration in snowdrop flowers is produced by chlorophyll but I don't recall ever reading anything about it. It's theoretically possible, I suppose, that other pigmentation chemicals could combine to give green colouring but I imagine chlorophyll is almost certainly the answer with snowdrop flowers,which I assume from their uniform white/cream colouration can genetically produce no, or very little, other pigmentation chemicals.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
Just realised that it's probably a bit early for anyone to have flowers/pollen of 'Virescens' yet as its a late flowerer. So if anyone has a flower or two of 'Virescens' they can spare later in the season, that'd be great as my seedlings are only just showing their (entirely white) buds so are probably a fortnight or so away from flowering. In the meantime, pollen/ flowers of any other nivalis or plicatus virescent cultivar would be most welcome as I can store the pollen until I need it.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
Alternatively, if anyone can point me towards someone who is selling nivalis 'Virescens' this year that would also be very helpful. Haven't seen it for sale for quite a while.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
I've got some virescens pollen that's been in the fridge since last season, which I'll happily send now. The parents don't open their flowers for ages yet, it's almost the last to flower for me, but I can get you fresh pollen then, if it's not too late.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
I've got some virescens pollen that's been in the fridge since last season, which I'll happily send now. The parents don't open their flowers for ages yet, it's almost the last to flower for me, but I can get you fresh pollen then, if it's not too late.

Thanks Anne. I'll send you a personal message.  :)

Wim Snoeijer

Martin,
I "had" one flower of 'Virescens' today which I peeled and the anthers with pollen are collected on a piece of paper, ready to be send if you provide an address.
Best wishes,
Wim 

Wim Snoeijer

Thanks Maggi, will post on Sunday.
Wim

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
Thanks Maggi, will post on Sunday.
Wim

Thank you Wim, that will be very helpful. I have a lot of seedlings to pollinate so the more pollen the better  :)  Maggi tells me she has given you my mail address.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
Wim, your snowdrop season must be very early. From what I'm hearing, other people's 'Virescens' are still quite a long way from flowering.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Martin,
I "had" one flower of 'Virescens' today which I peeled and the anthers with pollen are collected on a piece of paper, ready to be send if you provide an address.
Best wishes,
Wim 

Dear Wim

I am very interested to read your post.  I have been searching for early flowering forms of Galanthus and to read about your virescent one flowering already is great.  Would it be possible to post on here (or email me) a photograph of the flower.

Many thanks
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Wim Snoeijer

Good morning Martin & John,
I need to appologize first; I mixed up the names as I do not have 'Virescens' but 'Viridapice'. But I hope the pollen is still interesting.
I bought the bulbs from www.pcnijssen.nl and so the source is well documented. I planted the bulbs in a pot. Last Saturday one peduncle had a flower already nodding but the flower did not open probably because of cold temperatures. We had a couple of days with frost during the night but that did not harm the flower. So I picked the flower yesterday and put the anthers on a piece of paper which I folded. Hence no picture. But a second flower is well on its way.
Regards from Holland,
Wim

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
I thought it was a bit early in the season for 'Virescens' to be flowering. But I'm sure I can still try using the pollen in some crosses. 'Viridapice' is usually a fairly sterile triploid whose pollen  will not usually produce much (if any) seed, but there are different forms of 'Viridapice' around, so you never know, yours may be more fertile than usual. 

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Just checked, and my virescens are not even through the soil yet :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal