We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium 2012  (Read 20266 times)

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
Re: lilium 2012
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »
(they are easily grown and propagated)

So are Dandelions ;)
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
It does have the right scent though. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »
What should I expect of 2 month old Lilium souliei seedlings this year?  Three sprouted initailly but one gave up the ghost within a week.  They sit there with a single thread of a leaf each.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

le_floricole

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Has anybody an answer to my questions in the last page of lilium 2011? http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7193.240
Does anybody know a practicable way to protect Lilium martagon in the wild from grazing by roe deer, not too obvious to man?
Has anybody tried fighting virus with heat by lilies, like is done with Peonies?
Here a picture of one of the l. martagon from the wild with liliyfly which was rare at this place.

I have a friend in Quebec that is garden is visited by more then 30 deer, he do have great success with this home recipe

In a blender you put 4 rotten eggs (or past date) with 1/4 table spoon of cayenne pepper. You mix about ten minutes. you DILUTE  all at a rate of 1 L of water per egg used, all in a spray bottle and you spray susceptible plants to deer. One application per month is sufficient.

But if you do not want to do the mix yourself you can buy

is also very efficace

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
Welcome back , floricole!

The remedy sounds horrible.... I'm not surprised it works! ;)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:10:40 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

le_floricole

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Welcome back , floricole!

The remedy sounds horrible.... I'm not surprised it works! ;)

Thanks Maggi ;)

Yes it's horrible. Better to do the mixture outside.

Ezeiza

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
I can not believe people is still growing Lilium "tigrinum" after all the research thas has been done and conclusions are well known after two or three decades at least.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 06:52:19 PM »
I can not believe people is still growing Lilium "tigrinum" after all the research thas has been done and conclusions are well known after two or three decades at least.
Excuse me but what conclusions? Name? virus?
Also: What research? Published where?
Please explain
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
Last month I was surprised to see some well filled pods on Lilium "Pappo's Beauty" which is an Orient-pet (Oriental x Trumpet) Lilium but I was told that these lilies do set viable seed.
350385-0

350387-1

Has anyone else had experience with growing on this sort of hybrid seed?
If anyone would like some to try please send me a PM,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
Let me revert to the Lilium lancifolium (misnamed tigrinum) issue.

It is true that at least some commercial stocks of lancifolium are infected and since this species does not show any symptoms it can be an undetected carrier and a cause of infection. This seems to be true also for some commercial hybrids. It is possible to get rid of the virus by meristem propagation but this is of course a difficult and tedious process for the amateur. Virus is not transmitted to the seeds but named varieties must be propagated vegetatively and the common lancifolium is triploid and does not set any viable seed.

The triploid variety has been grown on our premises in at least seventy years and in the last forty years I have grown susceptible lilies and lost many of them but never to virus. I do not know wheter my lancifoliums are clean or I have few vectors. Anyway I will go on growing the lancifoliums.  However, I keep all commercial hybrids and the doubles well away.

The diploid lancifolium and the yellow lancifolium (which I find more beautiful) are often available as seeds in the RHS lily group and these, of course do not carry any viruses.

Cheers
Göte
(-2.6C last night)   

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »
Nomocharis aperta flowering again,this came as N. forrestii L51 last year. It produced good seed which is making great growth in  a pot of cat litter.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne (syn. Nomocharis oxypetala) from the greenhouse today.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »
Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne (syn. Nomocharis oxypetala) - nice. If it were mine I would consider keeping it going another year a success  :)
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

ronm

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne (syn. Nomocharis oxypetala) from the greenhouse today.

Absolutely one of my favourites. Super show David,  8) 8)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
Lilium oxypetalum var. insigne (syn. Nomocharis oxypetala) - nice. If it were mine I would consider keeping it going another year a success  :)

David, Not sure I understand ???

Thank you Ron, it is nice. It was from Susan Band's List in 2009 (she still has listed) and this is the first year it has had more than one flower stem.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal