We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2011  (Read 50986 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Lilium 2011
« Reply #240 on: September 29, 2011, 07:07:20 PM »
Normally if I want info on a lily I google it.

In the case of Lilium davoricum - nothing.  Thanks 

Try spelling it Lilium dauricum - you will find plenty of links.  It used to be called L maculatum dauricum but it is now called Lilium pensylvanicum so you will also find info under that name. 

PBS link is here:
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/LiliumDauricumSection

and another useful link from The genus Lilium site is here
http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/dauricum.htm
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #241 on: September 29, 2011, 07:21:14 PM »
Diane

I thoughtat first of that but Lilium davoricum appears as a species in google in Flora Altaica
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #242 on: September 29, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
Diane

I thought at first of that but Lilium davoricum appears as a species in google in Flora Altaica

Yes, it does, but that and any other reference to davoricum that I can find is dating from 1800 and something  and cannot be followed up.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

PeterT

« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
L davidii could be another interpretation if there has been a mis spelling. I might write "davoricum" if I was sowing davidii and thinking of another species as well - such as dauricum, could that happen for you Arthur?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2011, 08:53:24 PM »
Sorry, I realised my first reply was rather in haste and not clear.  It has been spelled as Lilium dauricum, L davuricum, L dahuricum by various authors (and L maculatum dauricum) and these are all old names for what is now (unfortunately) named L pensylvanicum - because that was its original name by Gawler in 1805 who mistakenly thought it was a North American species.  When he realised his mistake, he corrected it in 1809 to L dauricum, but priority now means it is back to its originally published name.

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-279888
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #245 on: September 30, 2011, 04:56:23 PM »
A picture of some Lilium distichum scales Martin Baxendale sent me on the 18th August potted up today.

All ten have produced a small bulb in six weeks in the airing cupboard.I hope this encourages others to swap some of the rarer lilies as it is an easy way of propagating them and does not damage the parent bulb.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #246 on: September 30, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
A picture of some Lilium distichum scales Martin Baxendale sent me on the 18th August potted up today.

All ten have produced a small bulb in six weeks in the airing cupboard.I hope this encourages others to swap some of the rarer lilies as it is an easy way of propagating them and does not damage the parent bulb.
Very impressed - all I need now are some rarer lillies to swap :P  I'll give it a try with what I've got though, is it too late to do it now?

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #247 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »

Very impressed - all I need now are some rarer lillies to swap :P  I'll give it a try with what I've got though, is it too late to do it now?

No, plenty of time, Tony.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2011, 11:03:53 PM »
Let me know if you think this maybe showing virus in Lilium 'Queens Promise'? Its a orient pet and very vigorous.Its suppose to have a uniform pink colour throughout the petals and did so last year. Its planted next to L 'Trumphator' which I suspect carried the virus, the plant looked weak and did not flower. I contacted the grower and he seems to think its not likely to be a virus, as he doesnt have virus on his property and I dont have any tigrinum that may carry virus. This is a new garden with new Liliums bought from the same grower.

He suggested to isolate it and feed it with a nitrophosca and the symptoms will not show up the next year. I dont have any hopes..what do you think?

cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #249 on: December 22, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
I think I would be throwing that away

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #250 on: December 23, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »
Let me know if you think this maybe showing virus in Lilium 'Queens Promise'? Its a orient pet and very vigorous.Its suppose to have a uniform pink colour throughout the petals and did so last year. Its planted next to L 'Trumphator' which I suspect carried the virus, the plant looked weak and did not flower. I contacted the grower and he seems to think its not likely to be a virus, as he doesnt have virus on his property and I dont have any tigrinum that may carry virus. This is a new garden with new Liliums bought from the same grower.

He suggested to isolate it and feed it with a nitrophosca and the symptoms will not show up the next year. I dont have any hopes..what do you think?

cheers

Without doubt - 100% virus!
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »
Virus
But did anyone try to heat scales from a virused lily in hot water 60 C° for 15 minutes. This works with paeonies and might be a chance for this problem. 
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #252 on: December 24, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
For the long nights
I found this year a place where L. martagon was very common. Even some white flowers. Never saw a lily-place more exiting in all my life.
Axel

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #253 on: December 24, 2011, 12:16:05 AM »
I played bee but alas all marked plants were eaten by deer.
Axel

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #254 on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »
Axel,
Extraordinary plants, extraordinary place, extraordinary pics! Thanks for sharing with us!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal