We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012  (Read 53596 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Winter Narcissus - to early 2012
« Reply #345 on: March 09, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
Exquisite Tatsuo.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
Narcissus bulbocodium   

From a collection by Bob & Rannveig Wallis (RRW8832); Tahanout, High Atlas, Morocco

Mmm. My jeanmondii was somewaht paler in colour than Gerry's plant.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »
Gerry could it be Narcissus jeanmonodii?
Rafa -  I received it from the collectors - Bob & Rannveig Wallis (RRW) - as simple N. bulbocodium. In the past they have listed N. jeanmonodii separately & described it as having a long exserted stigma. In AGS Bulletin, 66 (3) p.337 Blanchard has a photo of a plant in the wild which he calls N. jeanmonodii & this has the exserted stigma. So, who knows?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:27:40 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
Narcissus cantabricus: Spain, Madrid, Aldea del fresno. 500m. Clay. R. D. Dominguez coll., from JJA Seeds. Thanks Rafa ;D
The seeds were sowed in Oct. 2009 and this is the first bloom :) :) :)
Very beautiful Tatsuo.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #349 on: March 09, 2012, 05:03:08 PM »
A few Daffs from the garden today. Quite unexceptional pics I'm afraid I took them in a hurry trying to beat the rain.

Narcissus 'February Gold'-Getting on in years now as a form, it's first flowering was in 1923. Seed parent 'Golden Spur', pollen parent N. cyclamineus.

N. 'Cornish Chuckles'-I thought this was a 'local' but it was actually bred in USA. First registered 1996. Seed parent 'Matador', pollen parent N. cycalmineus.

N. 'Topolino'- Netherlands bred and a bit of a mixture.

N. 'Sailboat'- bred in USA, first registered 1980. Seed parent 'Frostkist', pollen parent N. jonquilla.

N. 'Jet Fire'- bred in USA, first registered 1966. Seed parent (Market Merryx Carbineer)xArmada) pollen parent N. cyclamineus

I've been trying to post this for nearly 45 minutes but the server times out every time I try, pics to follow.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
'February Gold' and 'Cornish Chuckles'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2012, 05:07:56 PM »
'Topolino' and 'Sailboat'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
'Jet Fire'

That was a painful process.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
Even more painful, forgot to add the pic!  It's an age thing.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »
Thank you Gerry, I am quite confused (really?  ;D) with certain Bulbocodiums from Morocco.
Tatsuo, thak you very much for posting the results with my seed collection, it's a grat pleasure to know that my efforts are useful in ex situ conservation. I think I posted time ago pictures from the place where I collected this species, but I don't find the thread

Gerry Webster

« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
Thank you Gerry, I am quite confused (really?  ;D) with certain Bulbocodiums from Morocco.
Tatsuo, thak you very much for posting the results with my seed collection, it's a grat pleasure to know that my efforts are useful in ex situ conservation. I think I posted time ago pictures from the place where I collected this species, but I don't find the thread
Rafa - You are confused!

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
No hope for us then. ???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
Narcissus bulbocodium  tenuifolius. Well that's what it says on the label. :)

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #358 on: March 11, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
Michael, many people here consider subsp. tenuifolius is subsp. obesus.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
According to the Plant List N. bulbocodium var. tenuifolius is a synonym of N. bulbocodium ssp. bulbocodium
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal