We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Galanthus National Collection  (Read 7524 times)

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
Re: New Galanthus National Collection
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
Let us know how you get on Anthony, and of course the cost to get them into the country.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
Let us know how you get on Anthony, and of course the cost to get them into the country.

Susan

However costly  ::), I am sure some would be recouped in future years as nobody seems to have thought of seriously importing them and distributing the new varieties 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
Brian, unfortunately if they're new we are not allowed them, otherwise we would have done it. The cost to get one new species approved is around NZ$15,000 I believe.

All very depressing, and one of the reasons we have to grow only from seed that is allowed in.

Susan
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:43:18 AM by Susan »
Dunedin, New Zealand

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »
Susan aren't all the major sp(plicatus,nivalis,elwessii) allready in New Zealand its only the cultivars you need,therefore not needing the 15,000 tag price. ;D.I might have got it wrong correct me please if i have.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »
The major species and in fact most species (not quite all) are here already so may be imported but only as seed. For bulbs, the exporting source must be approved by our MAF and this is achieved by being inspected while the bulbs are in growth for the presence in the garden/nursery, of pages and pages of assorted pathogens, pests and diseases and declared free of all those. The cost of this alone is enormous - to the exporter. Then the bulbs must be exported while dormant (in effect 6 months after that inspection) and also on arrival here. Galanthus being on the CITES list is not permitted as cultivars even, because our Dept of Conservation chooses to exercise its administration of CITES in an extreme degree, since they don't want non native plants here anyway. Gerard, if you choose to include some Galanthus bulbs with lilies, you could possibly endanger your lily trade as well. It is a big risk to take.

The cost for assessment for import of a new (non-permitted) species, was $1600 last March when I checked with EPA (then ERMA) for an article I had been asked to write. I believe it has now gone up to $1720, both amounts excluding GST.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »
The difficulty of getting the authorities to follow the complexities of the lists of names changing with every whim of a passing taxonomist cannot help matters when it comes to arranging imports.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

steve owen

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »
Zipped round the garden this morning before the rain arrived. Around 400 varieties now showing and of those 35 are in flower - with some of the real earlies now gone over of course. Some contributors have commented they particularly like to grow early flowering drops; some like Barnes and Mrs Mac get mentioned regularly here, but others people might like to consider are Sentinel, Godfrey Owen, Gabriel, X-Files, Zwanenburg, Faringdon Double, Modern Art, Elizabeth Parker-Jervis, North Star and Ian Christie's Yvonne - all reliably early-flowering and vigorous for me.

We will have a formal Open Day but the date will be decided and announced early in January -  but if SRGC aficionados want to visit "out of hours" just PM me so we can arrange a date. Even though the main flowering period is yet to come, there are early drops to be seen now. Visitors are invited to make a small voluntary contribution to the Friends of the little 13th Century church across the fields from us. Bring me sunshine.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

ChrisD

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Thanks Steve, this is just the sort of information I find invaluable. Given the overwhelming choice of drops it is nice to have some recommendations of those that are thriving in other peoples gardens. And YES I am one of those people who would like to extend the season, particularly at the beginning by growing more early flowered ones. Chris.
Letchworth Garden City, England

steve owen

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
Our first Open Day will be on Saturday 25 February, 11 am - 3.30 pm.  SRGC members are welcome to PM me if they would like to visit another date - one or two have already done so. There are snowdrops in flower now.

We are at 127 Stoke Road, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard, Beds LU7 2SR. Googling "map: 127 stoke road, linslade, leighton buzzard, beds lu7 2sr" will provide a decent location map.

We won't be providing refreshments (try walking before we run!) but will give suggestions if asked. Again since this is a first time I won't be attempting any plant sales.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Rob

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

edit: address removed.

Google streetview gives a great photo of the house & garden from April 2009.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:13:17 PM by Rob »
Midlands, United Kingdom

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
The very best of luck  with your first open day, Steve. I hope it all goes wonderfully well, that you enjoy it and I am sure the visitors will.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
Steve - good wishes for your Snowdrop opening. We plant to open our garden in Kent for the NGS next February, though have far fewer varieties than you have. We have opened just for our AGS Groups and it is most enjoyable - always good to have hot soup on hand if not too many visitors!

I was interested by the comments from 'down under' on importing snowdrops versus seed. In my garden certain named varieties set seed reliably and come pretty true from seed. A good example is 'Gerard Parker'. Others rarely set seed. This could be a good way of introducing new snowdrops (if it hasn't already been done) even if not identical to the named varieties. Then we will all be importing new varieties back from New Zealand!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
Just a thought, Steve. I do recall that people have expressed caution at the idea of giving your garden location so publicly. While I don't wish to alarm you it is not beyond imagination that there are some people who would be inclined to visit with bad purpose in mind.

I'm sure you could pass your location/direction details to anybody who wished to visit via a private message. You might already have your location marked as part of your profile and SRGC members could access this while the general public could not.

Opening to the public does have its drawbacks; I hope you experience none of them but suggest some basic precautions are worth taking.

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
Does Chris Sanham have a National Collection too, or am I mistaken?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
David, I believe Chris has decided not to continue in this position. Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal