We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus from seed  (Read 986 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Galanthus from seed
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:18 PM »
I have just been re-potting snowdrops.   Two batches of nivalis were sown in June 2009 and both came up immediately; one was from a local collection and the other from Jelitto.  When de-potted there is a marked difference in the youngsters.  The locals are spherical with tunics which is a bit curious as the mothers are tunic-less, differing soil conditions no doubt.  The Jelittos are tunic-less and extremely long and very, very narrow, almost bullet-shaped.  Soil mixes were identical.  Has anyone seen this before?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Galanthus from seed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »
Possibly sown too shallowly John? I'm fairly sure I've read in the Bulb Log that narrow shaped bulbs are as a result of them needing to be sown deeper?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Galanthus from seed
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
David - Both lots were sown halfway down the 6" pots.  ???

johnw -  +26c & low humidity.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:34:57 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal