We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Selby Abbey and Stillingfleet Lodge Garden and Nursery  (Read 968 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Selby Abbey and Stillingfleet Lodge Garden and Nursery
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
Feeling the need to escape the rain we popped over to Yorkshire for the day to visit Stillingfleet Lodge Nursery which is just a few miles South of York and opens at 1pm. As expected when we crossed over the top near Huddersfield the rain stopped and being early we decided on a bit of culture and visited Selby to see its Abbey which dates back 900 years. Following this as truly retired people we sat in a laybye and had our packed lunch before moving on to the nursery. The gardens attached to it are very lovely and well worth visiting as is the nursery for its selection of hardy perennials.

The first four pictures are of the abbey with its Norman door, a tomb cover from c1400 and its 13th century stained glass East window
The rest are of the gardens with the last being a swarm of bees which were on a tree by the pond.

It had stopped raining when we got home and the sun was shining,a pleasant day.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

SusanS

Re: Selby Abbey and Stillingfleet Lodge Garden and Nursery
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
Love the picture of the buzzy bees ..... did you use a long lens?    :D  or did you get Lesley to take it?  ;)

Darren's t'other half

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
Love the picture of the buzzy bees ..... did you use a long lens?    :D  or did you get Lesley to take it?  ;)

It was cold and they were very calm,I was about a foot away.Never seen it before and it was very interesting. The hives were about twenty feet from the tree where they were.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »
Love the picture of the buzzy bees ..... did you use a long lens?    :D  or did you get Lesley to take it?  ;)
It was cold and they were very calm,I was about a foot away.Never seen it before and it was very interesting. The hives were about twenty feet from the tree where they were.
Being the son of an apiarist (among other pursuits dad invested too much time and money in! ::) ) I can tell you that when honey-bees swarm they fill up on honey so cannot bend enough to sting (so I'm told). You can walk through a swarm with very little risk of being stung - I'd done a few times as a kid - we had about 18 hives in our backyard and they were always swarming!
cheers
fermi
PS liked the other pics too ;D
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal