We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2011  (Read 51178 times)

PeterT

Re: Lilium 2011
« Reply #195 on: July 29, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »
Thankyou Zhirair,
that explains it's height then too.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Pascal B

« Reply #196 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
Flower of the second plant of the N Vietnam Lilium, much more pronounced spotting in the throat than the first plant I posted pictures of. If the spotting would extend into the petals you probably end up with the mystery Lilium from Bjornar.

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »
Thanks, it's an Oriental Lily seedling.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2011, 04:00:33 AM »
I am overwhelmed with Lily Envy!  All I manage to keep alive here are a couple henryi and one 'Black Dragon'.   It's pretty pathetic.  Even the wild Lilium michiganensis that I discovered in the park behind the school next door failed to set seed pods.  If it comes back next year, I'll play pollinator myself for it.

Jim

Jim, that's typical behavior for L. michiganense, even if you hand-pollinate it.  I don't know the reason.  Do your plants get a lot of sun?  I believe michiganense needs a lot of sun.  But I don't know if that's related to the pollination issue.  I'm beginning to think that a lot of native plant stands are getting badly inbred, because of isolation due to long distances between stands.  Maybe you should try getting some seeds or bulbs from another location, or at least some pollen.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Gene Mirro

« Reply #199 on: July 30, 2011, 04:07:50 AM »
What the heck is this? It doesn't key as, well, anything... :P It's slightly fragrant, a bit like the roots of Asarum caudatum.

Chinese; lanceolate foliage (25-40 mm x 7-10 mm); nectaries green, not papillose; tepals revolute, 40 mm long, 11 mm wide, green with purple-brown spots and shading; ovary about 15mm; style 27mm; filaments about 30mm; anthers orange, 9mm.

It has nepalense-like foliage.  I think it's a nepalense hybrid, maybe with wardi or cernuum, if those crosses are possible.  There is massive variation in the species in the wild.  And in the collector's garden, anything can happen.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2011, 04:16:17 AM »
Today in flower
one of the unnamed species from Chen Yi
Needed an 150 cm long bamboo as support
otherwise all the flowers would be on the ground

Roland

Your third photo shows bulbils, so it might be sargentiae, but sargentiae usually has a greenish tint to the flowers.  It might be one of the many forms of sulphureum.  I have at least six different kinds of sulphureum.  I have no idea if that many exist in nature.  Sulphureum will often get much taller than sargentiae, and will bloom later, and often will not produce seeds.  If you grow sulphureum in full sun, it will be strong enough to support itself.  Both sargentiae and sulphureum can tolerate very warm growing conditions.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:18:55 AM by Gene Mirro »

yijiawang

« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2011, 05:06:22 AM »
Lilium sp. from China

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2011, 06:43:24 AM »
Very nice pictures yijia

Is this where you live
or where you on holiday
what is the white spot on the last picture ?

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

yijiawang

« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2011, 08:14:56 AM »
Very nice pictures yijia

Is this where you live
or where you on holiday
what is the white spot on the last picture ?

Roland

Hello Roland, I live in N.China, these pictures were taken in my holiday, trip to S.E.China. the white spot is ice.
This species is similar to Lilium paradoxum http://www.the-genus-lilium.com/paradoxum.htm

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:16 AM »
The Lilium paradoxum is also a beauty
what a colour
Just keep posting such beauties
I love them

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

PeterT

« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »
lovely pictures Yijia and a very beautiful lilly.
Also an interesting link to alilly group? with a seed exchange?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »
I can only agree with everybody here Yijia,beautiful pictures..the yellow lily is incredible do you not have a name for the sp.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
Yija that is a lovely flower. Here is the first flower on my

Lilium poilanei? from N. Vietnam very much like the one shown by Pascal. it will be interesting to see if the second bulb is similar
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

yijiawang

« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2011, 06:10:59 PM »

Lilium poilanei? from N. Vietnam very much like the one shown by Pascal. it will be interesting to see if the second bulb is similar

Hello Tony,
  So beautiful poilanei, this species petal and leaves are thick, maybe long flower term? The purple spotted are variable, even some flower without spotted, pure green.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2011, 07:59:17 PM »

Hello Tony,
  So beautiful poilanei, this species petal and leaves are thick, maybe long flower term? The purple spotted are variable, even some flower without spotted, pure green.

Hi Yija it is very similar to one of the ones you have shown on the 'genus lilium 'website which is pleasing.

When I received the two bulbs I took of scales and have raised a couple of bulbils from each of  them to increase my numbers but I will cross pollinate them when the second flowers and raise some from seed to get some variation. It is so much more elegant than L. nepalense and as you say it has very nice leaves as well as the flowers.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal