We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April Narcissus 2011  (Read 13946 times)

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Re: April Narcissus 2011
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Yes I am sure Anthony could clarify the ID of this species, and also this one... I think it could be any Merodon sp#

Gerry Webster

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
Once again N. rupicola, N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus and N. x rupidulus
Rafa -  In the UK, N. rupicola seems quite easy to grow but many people (including me) find N. triandrus very difficult so it's interesting, but puzzling, to see the two species growing side by side.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rafa

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 09:05:37 PM »
I know this, Jim Archibald mentioned me the same. It is certainly puzzling as they grows in similar ecological niches. Both species needs an absolute dry dormancy during summer. In this particular place it could rain 2 o 3 times (and very few water) during summer season. Full sun exposition during most time possible is also important, more than N. rupicola case. Sorry I would say N. triandrus pallidulus.

I will send you seeds next seasson.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:34:37 AM by Rafa »

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »
I am interested that you say full sun is necessary for N. triandrus, as almost all the sites we saw it in Portugal last year were on shady banks or under trees. Would it have been a different subspecies?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Knud

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:41 PM »
Hello,
Daffodil ID please.

Does anyone know this filled/double daffodil that opened today, species or name? It has probably been in our garden since the house was built, in 1937. Well before that it used to be planted along the stone fences separating the fields on the island, possibly for cut flower production, and it is called just "old fashioned daffodil" here.

Thank you,
Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »

www.dryad-home.co.uk

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
Knud / Anne

Here's 'Telemonius Plena' in Nova Scotia.  It has been around here for more than 125 years and still as vigorous as can be, with immaculate foliage too.  Very strange that it has not fallen victim to virus after such a long time in the trade. Does anyone know exactly when it came about in the trade?

Note how the unopened buds are green in our fog belt.

johnw
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:09:22 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

arillady

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 12:20:53 AM »
Rafa what an amazing photo of the species in the wild. Would love to tip toe through them.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Knud

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »
Thank you, Anne, for this very quick ID, six minutes! I seriously thought that this would "give them something to chew on" for a few days, so what can I say but I'm very impressed, and grateful. I have wondered about the identity of this daffodil for many years, as it used to be a prominent feature many places on the island, more because of it being such an obvious and exotic alien than numerous. Now it is mainly found in gardens, but I think there are a few places left along some stone walls, I will go and see if I can take a few pictures.

The link you provided is very interesting, and it told a more detailed story about 'Telamonius Plenus' than I had thought was possible when I posted the question yesterday. Have you checked the link, John, it may answer your question. It is very nice plants you are showing, here too they can be slightly green before opening. We do not exactly get your fogs, but we do get our fair share of drab springs.  I find that this daffodil clumps up here, I have never noticed seeds or seedlings, I have to check now. If the clumps get to big and congested the flowering suffers, so I try now to split them every 3 to 5 years or so. It seems to work.

Thanks again,

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Rafa

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
I am interested that you say full sun is necessary for N. triandrus, as almost all the sites we saw it in Portugal last year were on shady banks or under trees. Would it have been a different subspecies?

You are right Anne, I would say pallidulus, always grows in open places, but rupicola grows also into the forest, and not necesary in granite fisures. There is only one place where N. rupicola grows in limestone and also there are very few places where N. triandrus pallidulus grows in limestone.

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
Can you perhaps suggest an ID from these photos? Both central Portugal:
Site 1

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 08:39:07 PM »
Site 2:

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:49 AM »
And now for something completely different, as they say.  On Saturday David helped judge 'The East of England Championship' - Twelve cultivars representing each of Divisions I to IV, one stem of each.  The winner was Colin Gilman.  He also won Class Two which was Nine cultivars, not less than three Divisions, one stem of each.  I thought some of you would be interested to see them.  The photos are of all the entries for the East of England, Colin's winning entry and his Class Two entry.  In due course David will put them on the Spring Show Gallery of the Norfolk and Norwich Horticultural Society website http://www.nnhs.org.uk/springshowgaller.html although at the moment that gallery is still pictures from last years show.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 10:15:18 AM »
The flowers are admirably perfect aren't they? It must be a lot of work and dedication beforehand to get them like that.

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
What a display of cut flowers..... so neat and smart. I'm missing that darn scent button again.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal