We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 35331 times)

Lampwick

• Kai ~ My Welsh Springer Spaniel.
    • Portraits of Alpine Plants
Re: April 2011 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #240 on: April 27, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
Pictures taken today. :)
 8)

Aethionema 'Warley Rose'.jpg
Asperula suberosa.jpg
Oxalis laciniata.jpg
Eriogonum caespitosum.jpg
Berberis 'Corallina Compacta'.jpg
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:36:44 PM by Maggi Young »
~~Lampwick~~
Staffordshire, United Kingdom. (name: John R. Husbands)

http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/

“Why don’t they have proper names?” ~ My brother-in-law.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
Some photos taken recently.  I only know the name of one Phlox - 'Crackerjack'.  If anyone can guess names for the other two I would be grateful.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

meanie

« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
First bloom from my Lathyrus sativus azureus today!
This is the first time that I've grown these and I think that it's an absolute gem. The flowers are small but apparently (judging by the number of buds on mine) abundant, with nice delicate thin leaves.

West Oxon where it gets cold!

Lampwick

« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:20 PM »
Some photos taken recently.  I only know the name of one Phlox - 'Crackerjack'.  If anyone can guess names for the other two I would be grateful.

I do love the contrast of the pale blue and the electric blue centre of MG_9116...I could be wrong, but might it be Phlox subulata 'Bavaria'::)
 8)
~~Lampwick~~

Lampwick

« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
John,
Primula 'Peter Klein'.....it's very nice, but I can only find a P.rosea hybrid with that name in my books.
Can you remember where you got it?
- as I would like to get one too.
Giles

Giles,
I’m sorry I missed your post earlier.
I am almost sure I bought it from Ardfern Nursery, Inverness sometime in the late 1990s.

Click on the two links below, they both have Primula 'Peter Klein'
www.kevockgarden.co.uk
www.alpine-plants.co.uk

Here is a better picture of it.
http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/Portraits%20of%20Alpine%20Plants/Primula%20%27Peter%20Klein%2701.jpg

And if you go here: and scroll down to the Primulas you will find how and why the plant got its name.
http://portraitsofalpineplants.com/Portraits%20of%20Alpine%20Plants.htm

I hope all this is of some help.
 8)
~~Lampwick~~

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
Do you know the little book :
Who Does Your Garden Grow, by Alex Pankhurst , 1992 ? It is wonderful to read!
If not you should try to get it. It will not cost a fortune and is really a bedside book! ;D :D

She has a very pretty cottage garden in Dedham around a white clapperboard cottage Luit.
Brian I had to google about the "clapperboard" and found out that these are typical wooden houses in the Colchester area.
In the first edition of the book the place Dedham is already mentioned. Must be a very nice village?

BTW google says "Clapboard cottage :) ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
First bloom from my Lathyrus sativus azureus today!
This is the first time that I've grown these and I think that it's an absolute gem. The flowers are small but apparently (judging by the number of buds on mine) abundant, with nice delicate thin leaves.

It's a lovely color, probably annual? Is it easy to grow? I'm just asking because never seen or heard about it before?
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
The next one is not often seen in rock gardens and we have it at least 30 years on a rather dry raised bed.
Flowering this year is extreme good. The plant is now about 1 square meter!
Dryas tenella 1a                               
Dryas tenella 1b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #248 on: April 27, 2011, 11:34:25 PM »
If not you should try to get it. It will not cost a fortune and is really a bedside book! ;D :D

No, I haven't come across this book. Will try the local library which can up with most things, or the UBS which has or can access EVERYTHING! even proceedings of the Russian Parliament - if I should happen to want them. ::)

I too admire your Lathyrus border Luit, so many shades from the original albo-roseus, a small plant of which I bought at the market just this last weekend. Makes me look forward even more, to its flowering and seeding.

And mentioning Lathyrus, my most favourite of all is L. nervosus, Lord Anson's Blue Pea. I used to have this in my nursery and several round about either flat on the ground from a central stock, or climbing to about 1.5 meters on fences. It is a most lovely thing. Anyway, about 5 year ago, I realized I didn't have it any more. Whether from drought I'm not sure but more likely from it being overgrown in what is now a very wild garden, way beyond my ability to control. I searched in vain for plants or seeds from many sources but had no joy at all. Then this recent summer I found a brand new little seedling of it, in a place where a load of new, bought-in soil had been dumped. A single seed must have been in the gravel and germinated through about 30cms of soil to reach the light. It is now a good little plant with three branches and even though it will soon overcome Viola 'All Black' (identical to 'Molly Sanderson' but older), I'll continue with the pea at least until it flowers and seeds. It's totally in the wrong place but I feel I've been given such a great reprieve. The original plant in New Zealand was sent as a seed gift to a friend, from Graham Stuart Thomas.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #249 on: April 27, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »
Phlox 'Crackerjack' is a douglasii cultivar, and the first of yours Art, looks very like the subulata var 'Scarlet Flame.' P. douglasii is smaller, neater, more compact than subulata which grows in a very flamboyant and abandoned way.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

meanie

« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2011, 06:19:53 AM »
Lvandelft - it's an annual to the best of my knowledge. I tried to get seeds in 2009, but everywhere had sold out. So I ordered these late 2009 so as not to miss out again. Supposed to come true from seed, so shouldn't have a problem next year.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »

She has a very pretty cottage garden in Dedham around a white clapperboard cottage Luit.
Brian I had to google about the "clapperboard" and found out that these are typical wooden houses in the Colchester area.
In the first edition of the book the place Dedham is already mentioned. Must be a very nice village?

BTW google says "Clapboard cottage :) ;)

Here it is Luit, this end is a new (last year) gravel garden. 
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
Phlox 'Crackerjack' is a douglasii cultivar, and the first of yours Art, looks very like the subulata var 'Scarlet Flame.' P. douglasii is smaller, neater, more compact than subulata which grows in a very flamboyant and abandoned way.

I will take a close up of the flowers.  I remember buying a very small potful from someone who shows regulalryl at AGS National Shows - and wins - so would think it is correct.  However...
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »

Here it is Luit, this end is a new (last year) gravel garden. 
Thanks Brian, that looks like a plantswoman's garden. And the house and the chimney at the outside, alltogether looking wonderful. 8)
When can you buy it ;D ;D

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

I will take a close up of the flowers.  I remember buying a very small potful from someone who shows regulalryl at AGS National Shows - and wins - so would think it is correct.  However...
Even with a close-up of the flowers it will not become a P. douglasii, Arthur :)
I agree for at least 80 % with Lesley about Scarlet Flame, though there is a newer one which is more in the trade nowadays. Have to find the name??

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal