We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Galanthus Blog  (Read 54197 times)

Sean Fox

Re: A three week Galanthus Blog
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Emma is wearing the same clothes as last week :o :)

Ouch  :o
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
Now a married bloke would never had said that we have learned the hard way :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Sean Fox

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
Now a married bloke would never had said that we have learned the hard way :P

We certainly have David, although some are faster learners than others  :)
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
Too true! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
Now a married bloke would never had said that we have learned the hard way :P

David I just love the things you come up with. I just laugh or smile at so many of your posts. :)

Emma I bought a new jacket last week just because I was looking through photos and I had the same jacket on in every photo and some of the photos were years old. You do have your favourites. I would rather buy plants than cloths. ::) ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2011, 10:45:14 PM »
Have a look at this: http://sea-of-immeasurable-gravy.blogspot.com/

Scroll down a bit and you will come to a photograph - you will know it when you get there.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
Paddy why have they blurred Emma's(it is Emma isn't it) face out,I'd just like to say the hat is fantastic,i've asked my better half to knit me something along them lines.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

lettuce begin

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »

Scroll down a bit and you will come to a photograph - you will know it when you get there.

Paddy
Well done ladies fame at last !!!! ;D
Cheryl England

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2011, 11:20:50 PM »
Davey,

I presume the blogger took the shot unknown to Emma, doesn't know Emma and thinks it would be inappropriate to publish her photograph without her permission.

I presume the photographs shows Emma's mother as well.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2011, 04:46:14 AM »
Yesterday I woke at my usual work time and caught my usual train to work, but this was the start of a journey to get me to a station near Cambridge.  Alan Briggs had invited me up to visit the Anglesea Abbey snowdrops again and suggested that I make a day of it by visiting a couple of areas that he has found interesting drops in the past.

We had a quick pit stop at his house for a cup of tea and so that I could meet his lovely wife Corinne again.  While at Alan's he showed me his newest find from a couple of years ago.  A great looking flower that I hope does well for him as I would love to be growing it.

269106-0

It was then time to visit the area where Alan found 'Green Light'.  This was an interesting population of Galanthus but after 30 mins of searching all we spotted was one patch of green leaved nivalis and a few green tipped ones.  But the area itself was beautiful so we did spend some time wandering around and enjoying the local landscape.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:06:32 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »
It was now time to go to the new area that Alan had found that wonderful flower in the previous post.  I put on the blindfold and ear muffs that Alan supplied and sat back for the drive to the new location that rambler friends of his had introduced him to.  (I am kidding about the blindfold and earmuffs  ;D ).

Upon arrival I jokingly said to Alan that I was going to find one of the nice flowers that he had previously found - imagine how much my heart was fluttering when within 5 minutes I spotted this.  :o  Not as nicely marked as his previous find but taller growing.

269122-0

Once my eyes were tuned into the green tips I started seeing quite a few - none with exceptional marks but every one we spotted added to the excitement of a most enjoyable morning.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:37:41 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
At this point I spotted some rather odd flowers in another area - now these can't really be called desireable - but they were certainly interesting in the fact that we then kept finding them.  Normally I would think that these kind of anomalies are a one off that will never be repeated - but the fact there were so many separate instances made us wonder if there was something going on in the genetics of this population.   Alan is going to have a look next year to see if the weirdness is being repeated.

It was now time for us to leave and make our way to Anglesey Abbey - unfortunately Alan spotted something that surprised us both - YELLOWS!  :o  We only had 15 minutes to look for these but spotted a few in that time.

All in all another very interesting area that Alan has found in which I thoroughly enjoyed drop spotting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:40:21 AM by KentGardener »
John

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:36 AM »
What an exciting snowdrop expedition.  I would have been having kittens if I found only one of those!  That one similar to Alan's but taller is very nice.  In a weird way I like the deformed ones with a petal coming out from above the ovary as well.  It reminds me of a tusk.....it could be called TUSK....a friend for Walrus  :)  Were these all nivalis or was there a mixture of species in the second 'secret' location?

Great photos, thanks for showing us your finds.

Wish I knew somewhere good to go snowdrop spotting.  I only have churchyards full of nivalis and I find it a bit creepy!  There must be somewhere in the middle of the Kentish countryside, I am sure.

Very nice,
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Mavers

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2011, 08:38:07 AM »
What an amazing place for snowdrops John  :o :o

My heart is skipping a beat just looking at what you found
Mike
Somerset, UK

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

Paddy

Ha snowdrop hat ladies ! i shall have to go all out and knit something for them to see next year.

WOW  what a woodland  :o 
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal