We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primulas 2011.  (Read 63916 times)

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Primulas 2011.
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Always thought weeds were by definition undesirable  :P, which cowslips and primroses are most certainly not. But then I might be wrong...... ;D.... In contrast to Giles' roadside non-weeds then are some cheery pics below of Primula vulgaris ssp sibthorpii. These are in flower now in woodland edges alongside tracks marking 'major byways' on very old estates here in East Lothian. I have seen similar populations in two areas at least 2 km apart. The huge range of flower colour seen is typical of this subspecies as seen in north-east Turkey (see pics on PrimulaWorld). The typical primrose yellow is present but not dominant - there are many whites and wishy-washy colours as well as strong lilacs through to reds.

The origin of these populations is a mystery to me, as all the 'wild' populations of primrose elsewhere in East Lothian are universally yellow. There is no evidence of x polyantha in these populations and there are no gardens nearby, so I doubt they are escapees. At one of the sites are many hundreds of hybrid daffodils along with some bluebells and snowdrops so it seems that sibthorpii was deliberately planted in these areas. However, why P sibthorpii? It's been suggested to me that one possible route was that plants or seed were brought back by local workers fighting in wars such as that of the Crimea, though I have no evidence yet that this is the case. Interesting ??? Must keep digging. Any thoughts most welcome.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »
 :)

arisaema

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2011, 09:25:50 PM »
Anyone having success with P. moupinensis in the open garden? Mine more or less finished flowering under the snow :P

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2011, 09:26:01 PM »
And a second batch (really slow broadband is making this almost impossible..... >:( >:(

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #139 on: April 14, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
And the final image - hopefully.....

arisaema

« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
Beautiful P. sibthorpii!

Here's a pic of the rather anemic looking P. moupinensis two days after the snow melted, I realize it's not used to -20C and being covered in 2 meter of snow, but still...

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
Astounding stuff Dave. I can't add to the discussion but I'd love to know the outcome of it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
Poor P. moupinensis. It looks like a plant I've put a tray of plants on top of, because the planted one wasn't through yet and I needed quick space, then forgot to remove the tray. ::) IT should green up though, even if it remains a little distorted.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arisaema

« Reply #143 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:39 PM »
Poor P. moupinensis. It looks like a plant I've put a tray of plants on top of, because the planted one wasn't through yet and I needed quick space, then forgot to remove the tray. ::) IT should green up though, even if it remains a little distorted.

It's started already, the picture is a week old. Still, I had hoped it would have the decency to save at least some flowering until after it had thawed out from below the snow, even a Chinese cabbage would have been better looking than that... lump ::)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2011, 02:25:49 AM »
Poor P. moupinensis. even a Chinese cabbage would have been better looking than that... lump ::)

One could always stir-fry....

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2011, 02:35:01 AM »
I like the white, crunchy parts in a salad, or just to munch on. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #146 on: April 15, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »
Its always a pleasure driving up the M11 from Stansted Airport towards Cambridge to visit family in Norfolk at Easter.  The motorway verges and embankments are liberally splattered with cowslips for miles.  I am looking forward to that drive next weekend already!
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2011, 11:11:32 AM »
Dave (M),
This is what grows up my road (grass banks; full sun).
Described affectionately in 'Flora Britannica' as 'Rhubarb and Custard'.
I've never seen white ones here.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
Dave-serious point: are the plants you have seen anywhre close to major roads/motorways? Both shades figure strongly on bankings on the A38 dual carriageway down here which must have been amenity sown.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »
I do like rhubarb and custard! Plenty white ones in the 2 populations.

David  -  motorway, in East Lothian!!!!  ??? ??? They've only just dualled the A1 and that's 2- 3 miles from either of the 2 localities. Closest a main road gets to either is about a mile.   As you say, to be serious, my examples are on old estates, long since broken up as into smaller farms. One location is now part of a coastal park. Can't think these have been amenity sown.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal