We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne 2011  (Read 25518 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Daphne 2011
« on: January 23, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
Some readers may remember my previous posts about my Daphne bholua "Jacqueline Postill" which I bought, I think, in 2008 and took ages to begin to look as though it was going to succeed in my garden.

Below is a pic I posted in January 2009 when Michael Campbell told me not to worry and to feed it around April time each year. The second pic shows it again in July 2009. The third pic shows the same plant today but so far, although it has grown well, it didn't flower in 2009 or 2010. So I have added a pic of a bud because I don't know if this is a flower bud or another leaf bud. Perhaps the experts could advise please.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Daphne 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:05:58 PM »
I had Jacqueline Postill for several years and it flowered from the second year, very early in the spring. If I remember right the flower buds were showing at this time of the year but I lost my plant last winter when the soil where it stood froze a foot deep. The leaves and the stems survived the cold but not the roots.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

majallison

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
David, that looks like a flower bud. 'Jacqueline Postill' plants are largely from micropropagation & I have heard that these tend to be shy-flowering compared with plants propagated by grafting (or cuttings ~ v. tricky with Daphne bholua).  I have a seed-raised bholua which has largely been killed by the recent frost & snow, temperatures down to -12 degrees C here.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »
Malcolm, thanks for that, I do hope it is a flower bud. I haven't noticed any graft mark on my plant so it could well be a microprop. It has coped very well with the last two winters (lowest -8C) and in one of the windiest parts of the garden too just a couple of leaves have looked sickly and I removed those.

Thanks also to Trond.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
David, the flower buds on all my Daphne bholuas are well advanced and very obvious, already bursting and showing colour, and even a few flowers out. It looks to me like you won't be getting flowers this year. Maybe a little potash or a high-potash feed like phostrogen might help.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
David mine was a similar size last year and had one flower on it.  This year it is smothered so be patient and, as Martin said, give it a treat.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »
Thanks Martin and Brian. I take it you both think the buds on mine are leaf and not flower bulbs? I've fed it with Tomorite for the last two years but I will be more patient.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 05:27:53 PM »
No, I wouldn't have said they were flower buds. They all seem to be at branch tips and look more like leaf buds. Any flower buds would really be starting to burst by now. It's probably just been putting on some growth in response to your feeding. Maybe a bit less feeding now. It looks very healthy and strong now.  Probably flower well next year.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
Thanks for that Martin. I hope it flowers next year otherwise hard decisions may need to be taken :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
It should do. The bholuas are usually pretty free flowering. Or at least all of mine are, and I have a fair few.

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »

Hi -- I do not know if this the right place to ask for information on a Daphne.  I received some seed in the exchange of Daphne mahoniana, and I can not find any type of information about the plant.  Maybe one of you on the Forum is growing it, and can tell me what it will look like, hardiness and any other pertinent information.  Another seed exchange also offered the seed, possibly from the same donor.  Thank You

Marianne 
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:09:32 PM »
Hi Marianne, I grow and propagate quite a few Daphnes but I have never herd of that one, that doesn't  say it does not exist. Just wondering if it is a spelling mistake, which I am prone to making on a regular basis.  ;D
It may well be a new introduction, or an old one that escaped me. :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »
I see that seed of that  name has been offered by several organistaions over a few years.
It was #1237 in this year's SRGC List. According to the mark beside the name it was an unverified name.  :-X

Stuart's notes say : About the list
Again the RHS Plant Finder1 is my primary information source for avoiding duplicate entries under different
names, and redirecting arrows are used to help those who still use an old name. Species not in the Plant Finder
(there is a version on the internet) are checked with the IPNI website2, and if not found there or by a wider search
(googling) they are marked †.

I will try sending a message to Stuart Pawley to see if he can cast any light on the donor.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

sippa

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:37:35 PM »

Thank you Maggi and Michael.  I noticed the mark next to the name, also checked with a friend of mine who is a Daphne grower.  It will be interesting to see what turns out, if it germinates.
Marianne gardening in Vermont, USA

ruweiss

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
The Daphne mahoniana is maybe misspelled and must be D. maloniana, a quite valuable species
from the Balkan as I have heard from  friends. Sorry, no personal experience with this species.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal