We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere  (Read 10937 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »
The Gloriosas are well, glorious Bill. Superbly named. :)

Just while you're here, could you give a clue about this Arisaema please. It was the one you sent me labelled A. flavum. I took the pics this morning in cold and wet conditions so the flash went off, makes it a bit shinier than true. We've had cool weeks (14 - 17C for ages) and dark as mid winter in between gleams of sun.

I haven't forgotten your Scoliopus, looking at it yesterday,still quite green but I'll most likely left it next week.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2011, 08:36:07 PM »
I did all that - correct numbers, correct brackets etc but no joy. Will try the other way.

Roger is away at the fracture clinic at the moment, getting the final stuff removed. With any luck he'll be home soon skipping like a lamb and able to get out the lawn mower. 8)

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
I did all that - correct numbers, correct brackets etc but no joy. Will try the other way.

Roger is away at the fracture clinic at the moment, getting the final stuff removed. With any luck he'll be home soon skipping like a lamb and able to get out the lawn mower. 8) 

Lesley, I have made a suggestion of A fargesii on the other thread
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6568.msg181794#msg181794
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
Thanks Diane. The lines are always blurred aren't they? :D

Here is a picture for Helen in Canada. She knows what it's about.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »
Can't be too many Icelandic poppies actually grown to be the size of Iceland itself? Those are magnificent, aren't they?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »
You'd need a very big lapel if you wore one of those on "Poppy Day"!
Superb, Lesley - can you get seed? ;D
Bill,
those different colour forms of Gloriosa are super!

Marcus,
a good "crop" on Calochortus splendens this year! Not much on any of the others, though C. fimbriatus is yet to develop pods to maturity.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

maggiepie

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2011, 10:36:48 PM »
Thanks, Lesley.........yep, those are they or should that be them?
They are truly magnificent!!!

Helen Poirier , Australia

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2011, 02:32:47 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome Bill - Beautiful pics!

Fermi - I get seed no matter what on superbus, luteum, fimbriatus, obispoensis, umpquaensis, albidus, nitidus and some of the clavatus group. Occasionally I get set on splendens, pulchellus  and catlinae, but the rest  .... forget it. Thankfully simulans, palmeri, nudus and vestae are great stem bulbil producers so I can keep them running that way. This year I have a great big stem of seed pods on macrocarpus but this is such a b..... to germinate, let alone grow on get to flower I am having second thoughts about its label :-\.

Don't you grow quite a few Bill? How have you found them in NZ?

Cheers, Marcus

PS I have fimbriatus only just coming into flower down here. 

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2011, 03:49:49 AM »
[quote author=Lesley Cox link=topic=6428.msg181804#msg181804 date=1296073930Just while you're here, could you give a clue about this Arisaema please. It was the one you sent me labelled A. flavum. I took the pics this morning in cold and wet conditions so the flash went off, makes it a bit shinier than true. We've had cool weeks (14 - 17C for ages) and dark as mid winter in between gleams of sun.

I haven't forgotten your Scoliopus, looking at it yesterday,still quite green but I'll most likely left it next week.
[/quote]

Leslie to be honest, I had my doubts about A flavum, the labels could have been mixed up on the drying table.
Some of the Arisaema species originally came from Eric Walton from Auckland and A.franchetianum is probably the species he grows, that could fit the description. I will find out from Eric and will let you know definitly one way or another.  Looking very much forward to your Scoliopus.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:58:30 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2011, 03:52:35 AM »
Dave Young, Pres of the local Hort Soc gave me quite a lot of seed year before last and I shared it out among various people. Of the ones I grew, most were the egg yolk shade, between yellow and orange and so I was a bit disappointed, wanting the reds most of all. I haven't got any left now but I can ask Dave if he can provide some more seed. He bred these himself by selection to the nth degree, going for size and strong colour.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2011, 04:09:04 AM »
Marcus, here's a pic of the red aging to black Pernettya and its distinctive growth. They all seem to have alternate leaves on one plane but this one's leaves stay flat or slightly turn up while others seems to turn in all directions around the stem, see the lower pic of P. prostrata v. pentlandii.

Incidentally I was thrilled last year to receive seed of G. sinensis (turquoise fruit) from SRGC seed exchange but it didn't look right and in the event turned out to be Dianthus deltoides. ???

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:11:47 AM by Lesley Cox »

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2011, 09:15:50 PM »
Hi there,

I have a few pics I would like to share today.

First is the very rare (in Australia) Campanula stansfieldii, a gift from Otto, The Man, Fauser.

Then a sweet little centaurea that I found on Mt Ambelos, Samos in 2008. I just snatched a bit of downy seed from a plant and here it is now in my garden. Anyone know what it might be?

Then a late allium, A. cernuum.

Finally an allium that I think Janis once described in one of his catalogues, as looking like a fluffed up pussycat, A. myrianthum

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
The tailend of tropical cyclone Wilma gave us a bit of a scare with the top half of the North Island and locally here, having 8 inch. (200mm.) of rain dumped on us overnight, and the Wairoa river breaking its banks and flooding roads and a few low lying properties.
Fortunately the flash flood did not last long and disappeared quickly and apart from a few containers floating out of the nursery, the damage was minimal. 
I feel sorry and sympathise with other more unfortunately flood victims especially the people that lost their life and property and precious belongings in Queensland.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »
Bill,

Glad you fared OK.  I'd never actually read your signature until now I've realised..... I didn't realise you were up in the Bay of Plenty area.  A beautiful part of the world, that is for sure.  Glad you're OK.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
You've had a lucky escape, Bill.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal