We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere  (Read 10908 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »
Marvellous photos everyone.

Is that contrast really as strong as in the photo?  That just looks so dark on white.

Paul - Exaggerated by the heavy overcast and the fact that the flower is newly opened, but it is dark. The matte finish makes it look darker than, say, nepalense.

Marcus - botrytis doesn't seem to bother me much, though there's plenty of water damage. My place is fairly open & windy, which helps a bit.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
Rob,

Still gorgeous, even if weather exaggerated the colour.  Congrats on the nepalense too, one I've tried and lost a couple of times here.  It really doesn't like our summers I think. :'(  I probably need to try it in more shade next time I do, along with a few of the other species that haven't made it in the past.  Great to see the pics.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2011, 02:06:45 AM »
I found my first cyc. hederifolium buds this morning and also Acis leucoium, much earlier than usual so I suppose it's all the rain we've had this summer.

Now for something completely different, I've already started to harvest the seeds from a few Pernettya/Gaultheria species. The first is P. prostrata v. pentlandii having flowered for the umpteenth time and the second is from Australian seed but whether native there (Mt Field?) or from Ken Gillanders I'm not sure. The purple fruit of the former are paler this year so far and the apparently purple fruit of the latter are in fact crinson, going almost black as they ripen. Both are super plants and very easy, just liking a dampish place.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:10:15 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2011, 02:27:21 AM »
Flowering at last (usually pre-Christmas) is the tiny and dead flat Anagallis tenella 'Studland,' from, I think, the Isle of Pevensey on the UK's south coast. The two larger pots are in the tunnel and a bit etoliated so need to go outside for hardening but these little nursery pots are doing well so long as I keep them damp. Above and beyond are young, cutting-grown plants of Gentiana depressa, some with buds forming.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »
Rob,

That is one hell of a L. nepalense bloom :o - congratulations. Did you grow it from seed?

Lesley - is the second Pernettya from Mt Field? I seem to remember you were looking at some on our visit there. Or were they gautheria?

Fermi - thanks I will try and keep it up - sending out orders might take over everything soon. I forgot to change the name of that  calochortus on my catalogue :-[. We will have to try and consolidate the species we have in Australia now that Ron Ratko has hung up his collecting boots. Do you ever get much seed on C. splendens, catlinae, venustus or leichtlinii?

Cheers, Marcus

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:16 AM »
Did you grow it from seed?

No. From either you or Rod, can't remember who at the moment.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
There was seed from Mt Field, a couple including Cyathodes straminea which this isn't, and also some from both Ken and Viv Condon but hers were deep black, so not sure of the source of this one. I think all Pernettyas are now Gaultheria. I'll photograph the foliage of this one, as the layout is different. You might ID it from that.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »
Lesley, nice Pernettya/Gaultheria plants! I grow some myself here but they do not produce berries.
That Anagallis is new to me, a little cute thing!

I have never had any success with L nepalense. However I blame the gastropods >:( they consume such plants for breakfast.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Hi guys,

Had a break from lifting bulbs and took the camera around the garden.

Two liles, L. auratum and a hybrid, L. Cherry Bloosom.
262474-0
262476-1
Lastly, the Cretan Dittany, O. dictamnus. I have never seen this plant in the wild but I have spotted O. tournefortii. I don't have the latter in my collection but Fermi kindly sent me a lovely plant of O. amanum, which is flowering in my rockgarden and I'm stoked!
262480-2

Cheers, Marcus

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »
Hi guy,

Seemed to have stuffed up my first go at inserting pics - oh well, at least they were included in the post ???

Lesley - Yeah put a photograph up and I'll try to identify it. The native plant nursery that you and Don and me went to is still going strong so ask me if there is anything I can get you there.
Will take a fishing trip up onto the Central Plateau in March so I will keep my eye out for berries then.

Cheers, Marcus

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:01 AM »
Look for fruit on Coprosma moorei and the yellow berried form of Pernettya/Gaultheria tasmanica please. ;D

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
Just lately I have been having big problems with the old computer, getting very slow, with crashes, errors, etc, very frustrating.
As a result, I have invested in a new, more powerful 17 inch Dell XPS laptop with the totally different Windows 7 operating system, which I am in the process of learning and getting acquainted with.   Here goes.

Gloriosa superba is a striking tuberous climbing plant with brilliant wavy-edged yellow and red flowers.
Previously several species were recognised in this genus, but these are now all considered to belong to one extremely variable species G.superba.

Marcus, welcome on board. Look forward to many more interesting postings.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:03:33 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
Wonderful Gloriosas!
Ever since childhood have I dreamed of growing them like this. I have tried a few times in pots but that is no option and I can't have them in the garden :'(
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Roma

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2011, 07:02:18 PM »
Superb Gloriosas.  Love all the different colours growing together.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
Superb Gloriosas.  Love all the different colours growing together.
Aren't they just lovely? I'm still getting to grips with the  sheer variety  8)

Blasted things have never done well for me. :'( :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal