We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula identification  (Read 972 times)

ValerieM

Campanula identification
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:45:05 AM »
Dear Forum Members,
The plant below grew from RHS seed identified as Campanula orphanidea. It doesn't match any of the photos in any of the books I have - Graham Nicholls, T. Lafranchis, or that I have seen on the internet.  The leaves form in a rosette, are grey green and somewhat hairy and similar to C. topaliana or C. hagielia.  The rosette died away as the flower stem developed.  
Any help with identifying this plant would be much appreciated.  Photos of a plant grown on by June Strandberg from a seedling I started from the RHS seed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:29:08 AM by ValerieM »
Valerie Melanson,
Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
zone 8b

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Campanula identification
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:31:31 AM »
Hi Valerie,
it looks a bit like C. incurva which often truns up in Seedexes as other more choice campanulas.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:21:18 PM »
I thought it looked very much like C. incurva too except for the blunt shape of the buds.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

ValerieM

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 06:06:01 AM »
Dear Forum members,
Thank you for the idea re: Campanula incurva.
Supposed Campanula orphanidea: The leaves in the rosettes are similar to incurva but smaller and narrower and hairier and with a longer leaf stem (sorry not a botanist so I don't have the vocab. !!)  Also the flower stem was very tall - about 2 feet (as grown in June's alpine house), not like the pictures of incurva.  Could this be a result of reaching for light. ?  NB: the rosette leaves died away as the stem and flowers developed.
But I started some more C. orphanidea and C. incurva plants spring 2010, so will have more data in 2011 when they flower - weather and deer permitting.  Our Vancouver Island deer love the leaves of a lot of my campanulas.
Thank you again.  All ideas very welcome.
Valerie Melanson
Valerie Melanson,
Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal