We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2010/11 catalogues  (Read 24516 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: 2010/11 catalogues
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »
If G nivalis Charlotte is even smaller it must be miniscule  :)

Last year I received a Galanthus nivalis Charlotte, or at least I thought that was what it is called and I think the label agrees with me, though it's a bit difficult to read.  However this is a poculiform snowdrop, which I'm certain was its distinguishing feature, rather than size (or lack of it).  Can anyone clarify.  I cannot find "Charlotte" in The Book and my Charlotte would be too recent for the current edition, being a contemporary of Green Light found in 2004 and distributed by Joe Sharman.
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 05:09:13 PM »
I know that we have a Galanthus nivalis Charlotte over here found by Jan Huisman and named it after his granddaughter. Its a single nivalis which gives a lot of flowers from a the smallest bulbsize! In clumps it looks the best.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »
Gerard  - Is your website down?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »
I know that we have a Galanthus nivalis Charlotte over here found by Jan Huisman and named it after his granddaughter. Its a single nivalis which gives a lot of flowers from a the smallest bulbsize! In clumps it looks the best.

My "Charlotte" was found and named by Joe Sharman; I was there at the time of the discovery.  I checked the label and it definitely says "Charlotte".  I cannot find it in his list for 2009 or 2011 and I cannot find his list for 2010 so I cannot tell if he has ever sold it under that name.     
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
Gerard  - Is your website down?

johnw
My new website is online if you google on www.sneeuwklokjes.info it should appear.

regards,

Gerard

And i have changed the url on my profile!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 07:39:17 PM by Gerard Oud »

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
If G nivalis Charlotte is even smaller it must be miniscule  :)

Last year I received a Galanthus nivalis Charlotte, or at least I thought that was what it is called and I think the label agrees with me, though it's a bit difficult to read.  However this is a poculiform snowdrop, which I'm certain was its distinguishing feature, rather than size (or lack of it).  Can anyone clarify.  I cannot find "Charlotte" in The Book and my Charlotte would be too recent for the current edition, being a contemporary of Green Light found in 2004 and distributed by Joe Sharman.

Alan - I bought G nivalis Charlotte at Wisley the other week but the flower has not opened yet.  It is very very tiny I know that.  As soon as it flowers I will post a photo - I had no idea it might be poculiform & will be very excited if it is.  I imagined it to be just a tiny version of nivalis a bit like Tiny Tim but smaller. 
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
Jennie, I imagine you have the other Charlotte that Gerard refers to.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »
Here it is Jennie:
http://www.pcnijssen.nl/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1530

Thanks Brian - it does not look anything to get over excited about but I will be interested to see how it compares in size to a normal nivalis.  A cute little one for the edge of one of my raised woodland borders though.

I wonder if anyone can advise me.  Being a plantaholic my shady borders do not have much space :)  Is it advisable to plant snowdrops among named varieties of Anemone nemerosa, Ajuga (the usual purple one), Cardamine quinquefolia (it comes and goes pretty quickly)?  I also have loads of different types of Epimediums (some do not run very quickly and stay clumped ie E sempervirens and davidii) and between clumps of Alchemilla mollis?

If not some plants will have to be moved ???  I am slowly making new areas for snowdrops but would also like to incorporate them into my existing plantings.

thanks Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2011, 06:17:10 AM »
Hi Jenny

I've not tried any of those planting combinations so can't advise with previous knowledge.  But, I always think that as long as you keep an eye on things and are prepared to move them if they don't like - "give anything a go".  Trial all those planting ideas - but if the drops start to look like they don't like it in the coming years then move them to a better place.

Though someone may have already trialled these planting ideas and can share their experiences of how their Galanthus fared with you?
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
I've always thought Snowdrops + Ajuga is a great combination, planted a lot of S Arnott to grow though Ajuga last year.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2011, 09:02:07 AM »
Hi all
I missed Green Brush and Selbourne Green Tips with Avon - they sold out very quickly.  My Green Tips from Wisley (via W&S Lockyer) look very healthy and I will post a photo when they flower.  I also got G. Charlotte which is supposed to be tinier than Tiny Tim and G Snow White.  The pots had multiple bulbs in some up to 3 bulbs which made up for the rather higher prices.  Does anyone grow these?

On display they had a lovely pot of G Penelope Ann - the flowers were huge.
Jennie

Hi all ,

a question :

what is G."Snow White" ?
Has maybe anybody a pic ?
In the snowdrop book is G.nivalis "Snow White" .....and in the list from Gerard is a G.elwesii "Snow White"
 ??? ...there is some confusion ...

I know only G.nivalis "Snow White's Gnome"

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
Here it is Jennie:
http://www.pcnijssen.nl/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1530

Thanks Brian - it does not look anything to get over excited about but I will be interested to see how it compares in size to a normal nivalis.  A cute little one for the edge of one of my raised woodland borders though.

I wonder if anyone can advise me.  Being a plantaholic my shady borders do not have much space :)  Is it advisable to plant snowdrops among named varieties of Anemone nemerosa, Ajuga (the usual purple one), Cardamine quinquefolia (it comes and goes pretty quickly)?  I also have loads of different types of Epimediums (some do not run very quickly and stay clumped ie E sempervirens and davidii) and between clumps of Alchemilla mollis?

If not some plants will have to be moved ???  I am slowly making new areas for snowdrops but would also like to incorporate them into my existing plantings.

thanks Jennie

Jennie,

Epimedium, cardamine and alchemilla would be, in my opinion and experience, very unsuitable companions for snowdrops. They, three, are vigorous, spreading and edimedium and alchemilla have impenetrable root systems and no snowdrop would come through them.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
Epimedium, cardamine and alchemilla would be, in my opinion and experience, very unsuitable companions for snowdrops. They, three, are vigorous, spreading and edimedium and alchemilla have impenetrable root systems and no snowdrop would come through them.

Paddy

I'm incined to agree with Paddy Jennie, another to add to the not very suitable list is pulmonaria.  It's the root system that causes the problem I think, having said that things like  Epimedium X Warleyense 'orangekonigin' just have to be well curtailed every year.  I should imagine with your size of garden you'd be trying to make less work rather than more.

Brian
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
This is Joe Sharman's Charlotte.  I was with him when he found it in 2004; I took one home then but lost it.  Last year he very kindly gave me a replacement.  It arrived on a hot day in April and died back very shortly after I planted it so I was a little worried but it has popped up and flowered this year.  I think he told me it was (or was to be) named after a relative of his, but if there is already another Charlotte then I guess he will have to think again.  As you can see, it is a nice poculiform nivalis (getting a little wet in the light rain we have here now).  
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal