We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: October 2010  (Read 44978 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus: October 2010
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
Two crocus sieberi which have self seeded have different coloured stems, is this normal?

Mike
I think your Crocus are speciosus rather than sieberi, Mike.
Yes, the tubes can be quite different colours in different forms. Have a look at the recent International Rock Gardener     http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2010Oct071286445910IRG9September2010.pdf

to see some examples ( as well as elsewhere in this thread, of course!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #166 on: October 16, 2010, 11:44:52 PM »
Maggi,

your post reminded me of a question, that I wanted to ask earlier, but always forgot.

Who can explane to me why it is Crocus speciosus subsp. archibaldii and not artschibaldii.
As far as I know, according to International rules, plant names are written in Latin by the rules of Latin grammer. In Latin the letter combination /ch/ is a different sound, not present in English. I noticed this thing in number of new plant namings and I think it can cause misanderstanding and confusion among readers, because the same letter combination /ch/ has different pronunciation in different European languages as in English, French, German, Dutch ets. That is why the Latin is used.
And I also know that the sounds which are not present in Latin languages, are adopted from some European languages and agreed internationally. For exmaple,
English /ch/ in Latin is expressed /cz/ or /tsch/ (mostly in names);
English /sh/ - as /sch/ or rarely /sh/
French /j/ - as /zh/
German /z/ - as /tc/ or /tz/, or /c/, when it is preceded by (i), (e), (y).

The same is for corydalis ruksansii; why not rukschansii?

I think it is a serious matter.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:00:50 AM by Boyed »
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2010, 12:24:48 AM »
If you want a word to sound "sch" then write "sch" not "s". Lichen is pronounced 'liken'; algae has a hard 'g'; colchicum is pronounced as in chicken in this country; ruksansii (after Jānis Rukšāns)  would have the 's' pronounced as in "sand", not shand or schand as in school i.e. skool, but then maybe that's not how Jānis pronouces it?). Don't try and find any logic in English pronunciation. Latin vowels should be simple - there are only five sounds - but I hear people singing the word "miserere" and each "e" is pronounced differently (miss -er-rare-ray), which is wrong. It should be miss-eh-reh-reh with the 'e' as in "get". Trying to 'Latinise' words just ends up with gobbledegook so it is best to read the word as it is pronounced in its original language and then just add the Latin ending. Mathewii is not Mat- hewii.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2010, 03:36:49 AM »
Locals here persist in talking of Ranunculus lie-alley-eye rather than R. lyall-ee-eye. Likewise Celmisia traverse-ee-eye. The men's names were Lyall and Travers, for heaven's sake!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
If you want a word to sound "sch" then write "sch" not "s". Lichen is pronounced 'liken'; algae has a hard 'g'; colchicum is pronounced as in chicken in this country; ruksansii (after Jānis Rukšāns)  would have the 's' pronounced as in "sand", not shand or schand as in school i.e. skool, but then maybe that's not how Jānis pronouces it?). Don't try and find any logic in English pronunciation. Latin vowels should be simple - there are only five sounds - but I hear people singing the word "miserere" and each "e" is pronounced differently (miss -er-rare-ray), which is wrong. It should be miss-eh-reh-reh with the 'e' as in "get". Trying to 'Latinise' words just ends up with gobbledegook so it is best to read the word as it is pronounced in its original language and then just add the Latin ending. Mathewii is not Mat- hewii.

If to spell by pronunciation - my name would be Jaanis Rukschaans (two aa means longer a). For me it isn't easy allways understand latin names pronounced by british people, allways it takes some time to think how it could be spelled and then light comes...
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2010, 08:36:29 AM »
When a plant is named for a person, then the spelling reflects ( mostly!!) the way the person's named was spelled.

We hit a further confusion with ruksansii  because, as Janis says, his name is spoken Jaanis Rukschaans.... so we say rukschansii for the plant but the spelling is without the ch!

All very confusing, I agree!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
Maggi,

Yes, all is very comfusing, that's what I mean. But we, by ourselves, make it confusing. We were touhgt Latin in school and it helps me to read and pronounce Latin names correctly. Yes I know, that if a plant is named for a peson the spelling is the way the person's name was spelled in his own language if it has Latin alpahbet. But, as far as I know, it replies to cultivar names, not species and genera names. For example, crocus scharojanii is spelled with Latin rules, while this name is usually spelled and appears in print as Sharoyan. So all is done according to the rules, easy and clear, no confusion.

People can read and pronounce Latin words the way they want, and the reason for this, in my opinion, is breaking the rules that we do very often.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Gerry Webster

« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
For those who are interested, I think  Botanical Latin by W.T. Stearn remains the standard work in English. 'Names' are discussed in chapter 20 - far too long & detailed to summarise here.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
Maggi
I must have been having a very senior moment when I typed sieberi instead of speciosus.  Will try harder. Now why does that sounds familiar.

Mike
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
A quick question if i may - I've just noticed that Crocus aerius, which i'm growing for the first time this season, has a nose at soil level. Is this normal for this Spring-flowering sp. or is it growing early for some reason?

Alex

Alex

although I do not grow Crocus aerius I have looked at other species. Some already have the noses showing and others do not even in the same species,or pot,C. chrysanthus or pelistericus for example. I have noticed this many times and always worry that those not showing early have rotted(sometimes they have) but on the whole it is just natural variation.The ones that show early seem to sit there until the correct flowering time. Could this be a basis for splitting into ssp!!
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2010, 01:42:12 PM »
A quick question if i may - I've just noticed that Crocus aerius, which i'm growing for the first time this season, has a nose at soil level. Is this normal for this Spring-flowering sp. or is it growing early for some reason?

Alex
Here you can see pots of two spring flowering crocus species from Italy, pictured today. C. aerius show nothing out of soil with me (various stocks).
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2010, 02:02:47 PM »
Few crocuses from today
At first Crocus aleppicus in warm air of greenhouse nicely opened its flower.
Crocus ochroleucus from same region - this time stock originally was collected by Wallis, I got it from Jim.
Crocus banaticus First Snow now are in full flower and soon will end blooming. The cv. 'Snowdrift' only shows noses out of soil.
First flower of Crocus melantherus opened today, this specimen has yellow anthers. It is quite common in this species. There are populations where black anthered plants dominate but in others dominates yellow anthered specimens.
Janis

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
Thank you Tony & Janis, very useful.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
a sunny sunday today, some new Crocus in flower:

Cr.boryi x tournefortii from Tony G.
    hadriaticus f.lilacinus
    caspius
    hadriaticus x sativus`Cashmerianus`, F2 cross
    cancellatus ssp.pamphylicus, white form
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
a sunny sunday today, some new Crocus in flower:
Cr.boryi x tournefortii from Tony G.
    hadriaticus f.lilacinus
    caspius
    hadriaticus x sativus`Cashmerianus`, F2 cross
    cancellatus ssp.pamphylicus, white form

Nice selection Dirk .Maybe they asked you before but do you always use plastic pots instead of claypots for your Crocus ?
I see Janis using also the plastic ones while others use claypots.What is the advantage ?
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal