We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Starting Dactylohiza from seed  (Read 14944 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Starting Dactylohiza from seed
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
North of France

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2011, 10:04:54 PM »
Thanks Yann
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
Chris,

I take it the juice is going to be a fertiliser and whatever fungus bacteria are in the source material of it? 

Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Hristo

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
Hi Neil,
My assumption has been that the juice will carry fungal spores and micro-nutrients, as well as necessary moisture. The cardboard is the carbohydrate food source for the fungus. The lack of availability of simple or more complex sugars as compared to aspectic symbiotic or asymbiotic methods helps hold unwanted fungal/bacterial proliferation at bay, IMHO. ;)
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
Thanks Chris

Did you use fresh or dried seeds?   

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
This is so exciting. Roll on August 2011.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
OK, a slight detour here...... I'm being sent some Ophrys seed.  What would the suggestion be for trying to germinate these guys?  I'm tempted to just try them sown in the Spirathes pots to see the results?  Spiranthes fungal links I've heard are apparently quite useful for orchid germination?  Not sure I'll have time to do a whole setup of the system like Chris has.  What do you think?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »
Neil,
I harvested from June onwards and sowed in October. You can sow fresh but only onto pre-prepared media/matrices. A few months of cool,dry storage does not seem to have effected viability. I know other platers who have posted on this site will go into the field with pre-prepared media and sow immediately. ( In-vitro )

Mark,
Get started now, if you can get your tubs, cardboard etc you can check before you sow that you have developed fungal communities ready! I am thinking of getting another 40 tubs prepared this month ready for the seed harvesting season.

Paul, split your seed if you have enough, try some different approaches, sow with Spiranthes, I have Ophrys germinations in the open gadren in association with Thymus species. Malmgren points out that Spiranthes/Dactylorhiza are amongst the easier species to germinate symbiotically, Ophrys may not associate with the fungus that germinates these species.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 09:34:14 AM »
I have a question or note.
Some literature states that although dactylorhizas do need fungi for germinating in nature they will get rid of them later and may be clean.
On the other hand "juice" from the compost is likely to be full of fungal matter.
So do we know for sure that the inoculation from orchid roots is essential?
This is of interest to anyone who does not have access to orchid roots but gets seed from a seed exchange.
By the way; Malmgren states that pineapple juice in small additions seems to have a beneficial effect not only supplying sugars but also some kind of growth promoting substance. Since he is very successful I tend to take his advice seriously.
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

winwen

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
Hristo's method of growing orchids is symbiotically, while Svante Malmgren does it asymbiotically. For many asymbiotic media, pineapple-juice is a good addition (as is coconut-water and potato-dextrose-extract too) but not for the symbiotic media. If you grow orchids symbiotically and add starch or sugar - you have to work sterile! Hristo is right when saying that the use of cardboard as carbon source makes it possible to work not sterile. This is what Dr. Beyrle also stated before (I think in the 1990s).
Some postings before, Hristo wrote that he uses the B1. This is a powerful symbiotic fungus. You dont need to add other fungi (with the compost-heap-juice) but you also could use a well balanced fertilizer-mixture together with micro-elements, B-Vitamins and some proteins (organic Nitrogenium).
For better reliability of the procedure it would be better not to use the compst-heap-juice. Not all compst-heaps have the same compounds!
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Hristo

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
Hi Winwen,
My use of this method really stems from a desire to move away from chemicals and lab procedures. This year I may actually set up some control experiments. Attempts so far have been about getting results, 2011 is a chance to refine procedures and ensure repeatability( with luck ). The initial literature I read  suggested only the use of compost juices in germinating Bletilla species.
I suspect there are a large number of variations to the cardboard method that can be attempted. Years of fun!!!
Gote,
I have only just sown 4 cartons that have the B1 fungus all previous cartons gained their fungus from compost juice / meadow soil / woodland detritus or the roots of the target orchid species. No control was applied so I can't say which of those four potential fungal sources was the donor. Now I have tubs with germinations I will take samples from those tubs and innoculate some tubs for 2011 sowings and again try a range of species with the active fungus from 2010. The tubs from 2010 that have not succeeded could be down to incompatible fungal partners or no partner present.

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 09:09:09 PM »
Thanks Chris, some experimentation coming up soon :)

Nick_the_grief

• Incomplete beginner
    • Nicks Flickr site
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
My local nature reserve has quite a good show of Orchids each year and this year I bought ( Honest, I did) some seed of ophyrs apifera (bee orchid).  I did wonder about taking say a couple of teaspoons of soil from the area where they grow and using this to 'inoculate' the compost (for want of a better phrase) but this looks like it's worth a punt. 

Any spare plants I proposed to plant back in the NR subject to the Wildlife trust saying it was OK.

Dactylorhiza were going to be my next attempt
Nick
North Warwickshire

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 07:20:03 PM »
My local nature reserve has quite a good show of Orchids each year and this year I bought ( Honest, I did) some seed of ophyrs apifera (bee orchid).  I did wonder about taking say a couple of teaspoons of soil from the area where they grow and using this to 'inoculate' the compost (for want of a better phrase) but this looks like it's worth a punt. 

Any spare plants I proposed to plant back in the NR subject to the Wildlife trust saying it was OK.

Nick that is a big no, as the genetic make up of you seed will be different to that on the reserve. 

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
Hi Winwen,
Gote,
I have only just sown 4 cartons that have the B1 fungus all previous cartons gained their fungus from compost juice / meadow soil / woodland detritus or the roots of the target orchid species. No control was applied so I can't say which of those four potential fungal sources was the donor. Now I have tubs with germinations I will take samples from those tubs and innoculate some tubs for 2011 sowings and again try a range of species with the active fungus from 2010. The tubs from 2010 that have not succeeded could be down to incompatible fungal partners or no partner present.

Looking forward to lern about it when you have results. I think I will try myself thie summer - it seems so much easier for a bungler like me.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal