We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seeds as subject for watercolour paintings  (Read 1205 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Seeds as subject for watercolour paintings
« on: June 01, 2010, 12:07:45 PM »
http://www.see-seeds.co.uk

The Scottish artist Janet Mary Robinson has made a collection of paintings of seeds, covering 25 species, to make an illustrated record "A to Z of seeds"
 ( there is no example shown for "Q"!) in association with seed company Jelitto.

Quote from "Ornamentals News":
Perennial Seed Supplier Jelitto Seeds sponsored the series, which includes 26 paintings in total.

Among those on show will be depictions of Crambe cordifolia (Bleeding Heart), Fibigea clypeata (Roman Shields), Ranunculus gramineus (Grassy-leaved Buttercup) and the jellyfish-like seed of Scabiosa columbaria (Pincushion flower).

Artist, natural history and science illustrator Janet Mary Robinson said:  "The whole project started when I acquired a microscope. This gave me a view of the wonderful world of seeds. There were jellyfish, pig's ears and crazy hairstyles - all shapes that are caused by the bizarre adaptations of the seeds to their means of distribution. For example, seeds of the species Dicentra have little lunch boxes, which offer ants a snack - in exchange for free transport. I have attempted to capture all these amazing, colourful features in my watercolours."

Margot Jelitto said: "Janet is an artist who doesn't only have the necessary technical skills for nature paintings. She also has a love of her subjects and of detail that a natural illustrator needs to convey the hidden beauty of nature."

All  of the paintings are now available in digital form on the following website: www.see-seeds.co.uk "

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal