We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bletilla Soryu  (Read 5249 times)

hayley

Bletilla Soryu
« on: April 18, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
Do anyone have any photos of Soryu ??
After waiting such a long time i aquired a imported of Soryu this year and its only a matter of waiting now to see the true beauty of the flowers .Tomorrow could be the day as the bud is just waiting to burst open
It will be like christmas for me when at last i see the true flower
My camera is ready as with approx 60 to flower and the waiting  ::) is killing me
The buds are looking very lilac  purple which many have said recently that although called the blue orchid they are more  a purple shade

Pascal B

Re: Bletilla Soryu
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
The cultivar "Soryu" is the most blue form available and blue even in bud, the lavender-purple one with a blue cast is called "Murasaki Shikibu". A picture of the last one can be seen here: http://forum.terrorchid.org/viewtopic.php?t=566

To my knowledge "Soryu" is an introduction from Shikoku nursery and most plants sold in the West come from them, a picture of it can be seen here:
http://www.shikoku-garden.com/images/802-067.jpg

"Murasako Shikibu" has been introduced a couple of years before "Soryu" so I hope you have the right one.

hayley

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:40:47 AM »
Hi, These come from Takuya so sure to be Soryu

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
Reading down that thread on the Terrorchid forum, it seems that that picture in the first posting is actually 'Soryu' (See correction dated Oct 08, 2006).
I'm also waiting for my 'Soryu' to flower, but if it comes out like the one in the first photo, then I'll be delighted  :D
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

hayley

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »
I will try to post a photo as soon as the stubborn buds open !!!!!!

Pascal B

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:35:47 PM »
Reading down that thread on the Terrorchid forum, it seems that that picture in the first posting is actually 'Soryu' (See correction dated Oct 08, 2006).
I'm also waiting for my 'Soryu' to flower, but if it comes out like the one in the first photo, then I'll be delighted  :D

The problem is that Shikoku/Takuya seems to have propagated it by seed and not by tissue culture so there probably is some variation. True cultivars can by definition not be propagated by seed but if the plant is attractive, who cares about the name.... ;)
I have seen pix of the original clone some years back and it really had no purple in the flower as far as I can remember, it was almost Corydalis blue (sorry, never saved the pictures.... :-[). Based on that I still do not think the plant in the Terrorchid thread is "true Soryu" but more likely "Murasaki Shikibu".

By the way, the soil it grows in even can have influence on the flower colour. Japanese growers often grow in Akadama, a granular, clay like mineral which the plant might respond differently to than for instance a peat-based compost. Of course it won't be as drastic as with Hydrangea cultivars but it can be of influence due to certain minerals. Added problem is that some of the blue coloured flowers are unusually difficult to photograph true to colour and the same picture can have a different colour on each of our computer screens. Anyone ever trying to photograph the Asian orchid Cleisocentron merillianum would know what I mean.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:45:39 PM by Pascal B »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
Finally joined us Hayley? 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

derekb

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
Finally joined us Hayley? 8)
And very welcome about time,  Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

hayley

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »
I thought now i had a bit of spare time i would check up on you Derek  ;D

hayley

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
At last the 1st bud has opened  ;D

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »
Photo Hayley? Is it what you were hoping to see?

David

hayley

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:25:26 PM »
I will email you photo as not happy with 1st attemp of photos
Its very pretty but i would say more lilac not blue ,very much like Takuyas 2nd photo  where as the main one used is very blue

derekb

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
I thought now i had a bit of spare time i would check up on you Derek  ;D
I suppose that means that if my adopted step daughter is keeping watch I had better behave
Sunny Mid Sussex

hayley

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
Too right Derek,i have eyes eyerywhere  ;D ;D

hayley

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »

I needed a little help to be able to add photos as i would have added pictures much too large ,Thankyou David  ;)
As you will see in 2nd photo the 1st bud is fullyopn and now aitin the  2nd bud is  open
I love it ,so happy about  the long wait i had to be able to grow these and cant wait for photos people have said they would forward to me

Come on Derek tell yours and Doreens to get a hurry on ,its a race against you and a German friend and i think you are running in last place LOL

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal