We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 7191 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
April in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:35:42 PM »
In case you Down Under Folks are not aware..... I learn that American plantsman Daniel Hinkley is visiting both Autralia and New Zealand in April.....

Collectors' Plant Fair, Australia    
Saturday, 17th April 2010

Saturday, 17th April 2010

Sunday, 18th April 2010

University of Otago, NZ    
Thursday, 22nd April 2010

New Zealand Gardens Trust Conference    
Saturday, 24th April 2010

New Zealand Gardens Trust Conference    
Sunday, 25th April 2010

Dunedin Rhododendron Society, NZ    
Wednesday, 28th April 2010

see here for full details......
http://www.danielhinkley.com/cal.php?PHPSESSID=9627205629f32ed2ae07eb7f95982253

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: April in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:13:38 PM »
Thanks for this Maggi. There's one I'll be able to attend anyway. The Dn Rhodo Group actually is in Dunedin but the University of Otago one is at their Auckland campus. Funny, 'cos I thought that was only a branch of the Medical School which is otherwise in Dunedin with out of town campuses.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:56:10 AM »
I think the Plant Collectros' Fair is the one in Bilpin in the the Blue Mts, NSW.
I don't he's coming down to Vic :'(
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
Yes, that's correct, fermi....
4/17/10 1:30 PM - 4/17/10 2:30 PM

Exclamation, Punctuation, Accentuation Location: Woodgreen, Bilpin, NSW, Australia

4/17/10 3:30 PM - 4/17/10 4:30 PM

Exclamation, Punctuation, Accentuation Location: Woodgreen, Bilpin, NSW, Australia

4/18/10 1:30 PM - 4/18/10 2:30 PM

Anointing Indispensables, Dispensing Disappointments Location: Woodgreen Homestead, Bilpin, New South Wales, Australia

University of Otago, NZ
4/22/10 7 PM - 4/22/10 8 PM

From Sichuan and Vietnam to Seattle - Plant Exploring Location: University of Otago House (level 4 - street level), 385 Queen St. Auckland, New Zealand (north island)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:05:18 PM »
I've just managed to miss that Plant Fair by a day, twice now Fermi. Will have to try again maybe next year.

Wish he was doing the Auckland talk in Dunedin. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 03:28:19 AM »
Thanks Maggi for the news that Dan Hinkley will give lectures at Bilpin ., which is much closer to Sydney - it is circa 800 kilometers from Melbourne . Stephen Ryan (the presenter of 'Gardening Australia ' ) told me a few weeks ago that he is trying to persuade Dan to spend a few days in Melbourne , which would be nice . Dan has been to Melbourne on 2 previous occasions .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

fermi de Sousa

Re: April 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:44:59 AM »
Since Maggi already started a thread for April we may as well use it now that April's arrived in the Southern Hemisphere!
Taken this morning, this is one of the hybrid nerines, I think it's "Ariel" - one of the first "terracotta" ones that I'd ever seen,
206429-0

206431-1

The clump of N. fothergila "Major" is at its peak,
206433-2

And the mauve/pink form of Oxalis flava is starting to flower,
206435-3

206437-4

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:19:49 AM »
No sign of Nerines here yet, too dry but I do have some very nice Gladiolus carmineus in flower. Maybe a pic tomorrow. I see we must now call Oxalis lobata, O. perdicaria. Dammit! But surely the pic in the March AGS Bulletin is one of the laciniata forms, rather than lobata/perdicaria. Haven't heard of a purple form of it. ???

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
I see we must now call Oxalis lobata, O. perdicaria. Dammit! But surely the pic in the March AGS Bulletin is one of the laciniata forms, rather than lobata/perdicaria. Haven't heard of a purple form of it. ???

That confused me too but if you read the item 'Seasonal reversal' on p. 18 R.R talks about assembling a montage of Oxalis laciniata within the trumpet of Narcissus 'December Gold' so the pic of a purple oxalis on yellow background must be intended to accompany that...
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »
Thanks Gail, that will help. As always, I did a quick skim through, read show reports and similar short stuff but haven't tackled the longer articles as yet. I'll get to that over the Easter holiday, maybe Saturday when it's supposed to rain heavily, though I'll be working (outside) in the morning.

With all due respect to the AGS Bulletin, there have recently, I believe, been many more slight errors of that nature, than there used to be. Occasional typos, photo names reversed, a country name printed with small letter at the beginning, misplaced apostrophes etc. Perhaps the proof-reading isn't up to what it could be. After all, even though the O. laciniata may refer to an article on a different page, one might reasonably expect the oxalis picture heading an article about O. lobata, to be O. lobata (perdicaria). According to the caption on the O. laciniata, it is...O. perdicaria! Whoever supplioed the photograph may reasonably be a little annoyed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:47:48 PM by Lesley Cox »

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
Did you notice in the accompanying Alpine news newsletter they are looking to appoint a new Editor?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »
Yes I did Gail but hadn't given thought to WHY, except perhaps that Kit Grey-Wilson wanted a break. I don't think there was ever a better Editor than the late Roy Elliott but he is long gone I'm afraid.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 02:03:06 AM »
cheers
fermi
very nice setting, rising out of the white foliage;what is on the oxalis leaf tips, sand?

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:12:07 AM »
very nice setting, rising out of the white foliage;what is on the oxalis leaf tips, sand?
Hi Cohan,
it's actually the morning dew which is why the flowers are still furled. I'll download some pics of the open flowers when I get back to work on Tuesday.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
This time a few more of the smaller, charming autumn flowering Nerine species.
Nerine undulata is a very dainty spider flower which can give a wonderful display when mass planterd.
The soft pink flowers are produced abundantly and make excellent cut flowers for the vase.
Nerine humilis has slightly larger flowers than most other smaller species.
The flowers are usually soft pink, but in some forms can be salmon pink and rose.
these are very cute! just how small are they? are those leaves fully grown?

Sorry Cohan, for the late reply, we have been away over the Easter with the campervan, fishing with the family in the Coromandel
To show you (I hate boasting  ;D) here is a picture of a 30 lb. kingfish caught on the beach with a longline. Very nice catch.
Maggi will probably growl at me for going off-topic. Would you Maggi? What about an chocolate Easter egg as a sweetener? ;D
Anyway Cohan, here is also a picture of Nerine fothergillii and Nerine gracilis I picked for comparison.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:16:57 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal