We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus in pots February 2010  (Read 43571 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Crocus in pots February 2010
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
Some lovely crocus pictures being shown this couple of days break in the cold has brought them on.

Hendrik your Crocus biflorus nubigena is very nice. I have not seen one with a black spot as mentioned by Ibrahim. Here are two pictures of Crocus biflorus ssp crewii. They are not good as i have been pulling them apart to pollinate them but they show how close they are to ssp nubigena. Mathew says they are only seperated by the number of leaves. You will see one of mine is specled and not striped but the other is striped like yours.

I also have a picture of Crocus biflorus ssp issauricus which can grow in mixed colonies with ssp nubigena.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Hendrik Van Bogaert

Re: Crocus in pots February 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 05:34:37 PM »
  Hendrik,
Do you know original location of your nubigena came?
My nubigena has allways black spot in throat which I can not see in yours! :-\

Ibrahim,
My nubigena came from Rare plants nursery/Paul Christian in 1995; I have checked his 1995 catalogue, but there is no indication of locality, only "West-Turkey"; two years ago I have collected one bulb of a cream coloured nubigena in Labranda.
I suppose you must find there more and maybe different colour forms.
Hendrik

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »
Some lovely crocus pictures being shown this couple of days break in the cold has brought them on.

Hendrik your Crocus biflorus nubigena is very nice. I have not seen one with a black spot as mentioned by Ibrahim. Here are two pictures of Crocus biflorus ssp crewii. They are not good as i have been pulling them apart to pollinate them but they show how close they are to ssp nubigena. Mathew says they are only seperated by the number of leaves. You will see one of mine is specled and not striped but the other is striped like yours.

I also have a picture of Crocus biflorus ssp issauricus which can grow in mixed colonies with ssp nubigena.

Tony,
indeed nubigena and crewii are very close: nubigena 5/6 rather small leaves and crewii 2/3 rather broad.
In annex another form of nubigena, collected in Labranda, where nerimaniae grow..
Hendrik

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:49:37 PM »
Hendrik,
indeed your C. biflorus ssp. nubigena are stunning! 8)
Any experience to please the specis in the open garden?

Armin,
I have never tried nubigena in my garden; I have a woodland garden and my soil is too wet during winter.
All my crocusesand bulbs are grown in pots/bulb frame.
Hendrik

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
hendrik

did you go in the spring because when I was there in the autumn there was only nerimaniae and pallasii? The nubigena would not have been in growth then. That is a very fine plant.

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
hendrik

did you go in the spring because when I was there in the autumn there was only nerimaniae and pallasii? The nubigena would not have been in growth then. That is a very fine plant.

Tony,
I was there in spring 2008; there were of course out of flower, but we find after a long search some bulbs with leaves (unfortunately all virus-infected).
Hendrik
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:37:17 PM by Hendrik Van Bogaert »

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
I noticed that Janis had said nerimaniae were virused at Labranda but I saw no sign of it. I am no expert on spotting virus so certainly would not argue. My plants are raised from seed and seem okay. I have seen them at the other site by the dam and they seemed clear there.

It is interesting that both species growing together but one flowering autumn and the other spring have black anthers.

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 06:41:52 PM »
I noticed that Janis had said nerimaniae were virused at Labranda but I saw no sign of it. I am no expert on spotting virus so certainly would not argue. My plants are raised from seed and seem okay. I have seen them at the other site by the dam and they seemed clear there.

It is interesting that both species growing together but one flowering autumn and the other spring have black anthers.

Tony,
Viruses are not transmitted by seeds; it's the only way to obtain virus free plants from virus infected plants.
Hendrik
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:54:32 PM by Hendrik Van Bogaert »

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 07:23:57 PM »
Today we had here in Belgium a lot of sun, and look what's flowering today in my alpine  house: Crocus biflorus ssp. nubigena, one of my great favourites. Enjoy the black anthers!
Hendrik

Rik, Excellent nubigenas.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »
Today we had here in Belgium a lot of sun, and look what's flowering today in my alpine  house: Crocus biflorus ssp. nubigena, one of my great favourites. Enjoy the black anthers!
Hendrik

Janis

Indeed Janis; if you are interested, I have a (very) few to swap; please put them on your autumn wish list.
Rik

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:35:49 PM »
  Hendrik,

My stock has both types - see attached pictures (from 2008,09). HERE EVERY DAY ONLY MORE AND MORE SNOW.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
Sunshine today so some crocus in bloom.

Crocus  baytopiorum in sun.
Crocus  baytopiorum in shade,
Crocus  flavus
Crocus  fleischer
Crocus  imperatii De Jager
Crocus  laevigatus
Crocus  sieberi subsp atticus
Crocus tommasinianus CEH534
Crocus  uschak orange.
Crocus  vernus subsp vernus heuffelianus (not true,possible hyb)

Michael, your last crocus is possible Cr.vernus 'Yalta' ( vernus x tommasinianus ),
several trader offered this form under the name heuffelianus.

'Yalta' is mine and I think that contrast between outer and inner segments is greater, but not easy to judge from picture only.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
MIchael, I'm with Dirk, 'Yalta' or probably 'Haarlem Gem'
I had the same plants from Dix years ago, when I ordered heuffelianus.
By color more 'Harlem Gem' but it has narrower segments.
Janis

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 07:42:37 PM »
Today we had here in Belgium a lot of sun, and look what's flowering today in my alpine  house: Crocus biflorus ssp. nubigena, one of my great favourites. Enjoy the black anthers!
Hendrik

Janis

Janis,
What do you think of this chrysanthus? I like the name "Black Fire".
I got it many years ago.
Unfortunately it grows so slow, so slow, ... I think 5 bulbs after 6 years, but please put in on your wish list too, so that I don't forget to send one bulb to our greatest croconut. It will be in save hands!
Hendrik
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:38:23 PM by Hendrik Van Bogaert »

Hendrik Van Bogaert

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
  Hendrik,

My stock has both types - see attached pictures (from 2008,09). HERE EVERY DAY ONLY MORE AND MORE SNOW.
Janis

Janis,
Excellent!!!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal