We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Zephyranthes and other Amaryllidaceae 2010 - 2011  (Read 22872 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Zephyranthes and other Amaryllidaceae 2010 - 2011
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »
Can anyone advise me how deep to plant lycoris radiata please?

I plant all my Lycoris with the tip of the bulb just below the soil surface.  L. radiata is not very hardy for me here in central Indiana (USDA cold zone 5), but lasts a few years in a protected spot.  Hardier Lycoris in my climate are chinensis, longituba, sprengeri, and caldwellii, which seem to last indefinitely and bloom reliably in late summer.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

PeterT

« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Thanks Jim, they seem very rare in the UK, I'd like to try others but I've only just obtained L radiata. it seems I should grow it a little like a Hippeastrum ?
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:39 PM »
Peter

you can try John Amand

see: Jacques Amand

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

PeterT

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
Thankyou Roland,
That is a good idea, but first I will try to learn to grow this one, before I shop for more plants I don't understand.  ;)

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »
I tried them a few times
but they are difficult in flowering
I think that they (as in some other Amaryllidaceae)
need 3-6 year for producing flowers
maybe an other member knows
how long the development takes
from bud to flower
and maybe a lot of heat

Roland
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

For other things see:

PeterT

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »
They seem to do so well in parts of the USA and pictures from Japan and China of woodland plantings, I don't understand why not in Europe?

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
Maybe they are more patient ;D

I will give them a try again
now I have poly-tunnels
maybe they grow better now

Roland
RGB or RBGG means:

For other things see:

Ezeiza

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »
Peter, try Jim Shields as a source. The species mentioned as hardy are very hardy and conditions in the eastern USA are harsher than England.

Lycoris radiata were grown in its native China in the grass strips along paddy fields, as a true aquatic.

Those I have tried (and my climate is mild) took some years to flower because the imported bulbs WERE OFFSETS. Since then, they flower regularly without much care.

There are a good number of species and a few natural hybrids but not all are the best for a given climate. Some are even subtropical and tender.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2011, 02:37:42 AM »
Lycoris radiata were grown in its native China in the grass strips along paddy fields, as a true aquatic.

Alberto - I have grown this Lycoris in a tub for 35 years and it has never flowered.  This year it spent the winter moist in a fairly warm greenhouse.  It is starting to die back now. Should I keep it moist or dry whendormant and then a heavy watering in mid-August? And should it be kept hot whilst dormant?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Ezeiza

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »
They are autumn, winter and spring growers (or basically so) and summer dormant. Hot and dry in summer. Flowers in autumn at the beginning of the cycle.

Does your plant offset like mad?

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
I have never been able to flower Lycoris in containers.  I suppose they need a long root run.  It takes bare bulbs without roots a long time to grow and flower.  For L. radiata radiata (sterile triploid of commerce) I think it should survive the winters in the UK and probably on continental Europe, but the summers may not be warm enough.  I have not talked with anyone in the UK who grows L. radiata.

For me, L. radiata pumila (fertile diploid form) is too tender to grow outdoors here in Indiana.  It's hybrids do survive outdoors here, and sometimes even bloom.  There are several hybrids of tender species that survive and flower outdoors in my garden, so there may be some enhanced freeze tolerance in some Lycoris hybrids.

BTW, I have closed down commercial operations and no longer can provide phytosanitary certificates for orders to other countries.  Check with Russell Stafford; he might be able to supply some Lycoris, as can Tony Avent.  I'm not sure if Kelly Irwin exports or not.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Ezeiza

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
I only grow a few species, five of them flower in 4 litre containers under complete neglect. So far, they could not be moved to the 20 litre containers destined to them Most probably Jim is right in the problem of roots confinement. Mine only flower because the climate is to their liking, no doubt they will do incomparably better in the ground. I have seen a Lycoris with short stems that seems to be L. radiata pumilla planted permanently in the ground: it flowers reliably with our year round rainfall in the open.

Lycoris squamigera, notorious in being very hardy behaves very well but it has never flowered.

Lycorises seem to resent very much root disturbance, like Amaryllis belladonna.

Finally, like with Hymenocallis, Lycoris supposed reluctance to flower is mainly due to the fact that what we acquire are basically immature offsets.

johnw

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »
Does your plant offset like mad?

Alberto - Not overly, a few offsets here and there but be no means prolifically.

The bulbs are in a 30cm clay pot which is at least 40cm deep. This on your previous recommendation.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:32:33 PM by johnw »

johnw

« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »
I think it should survive the winters in the UK and probably on continental Europe, but the summers may not be warm enough.  I have not talked with anyone in the UK who grows L. radiata. Jim

Jim  - About 2 years ago there was an RHS The Garden article on the eminenint plantsman Harry Hay. He was flowering L. radiata and had fertile forms as well. Sadly he passed away before I could contact him to find out his secret.  I think he was growing them in his greenhouse.

BTW Be careful when you go for a cup of coffeee these days in downtown Halifax.http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/local/article/894787--deer-smashes-through-window-of-busy-halifax-coffee-shop   [urlhttp://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9021188.html][/url]:o

john
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:40:46 PM by johnw »

PeterT

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:57 PM »
Jim, Alberto, thanks for all the information and advice. I wish I could have known Harry Hay, John.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal