We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus 2010  (Read 67598 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Narcissus 2010
« Reply #420 on: July 15, 2010, 01:40:32 AM »
Fermi,

Nice!  I've not seen 'Jessamy' before, but the graellsii is very different to what I grow as that.  Mine has very small flowers (something I love about it), which are very neat and clean.  I'm sure I've posted pics of it here before.  Not in flower here yet, as it is fairly late for me generally.  Where does 'Jessamy' originate from?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #421 on: July 15, 2010, 04:36:50 AM »
Fermi,

Nice!  I've not seen 'Jessamy' before, but the graellsii is very different to what I grow as that.  Mine has very small flowers (something I love about it), which are very neat and clean.  I'm sure I've posted pics of it here before.  Not in flower here yet, as it is fairly late for me generally.  Where does 'Jessamy' originate from?
Paul,
I got "Jessamy" from Will Ashburner before he became the proprietor of Hancocks Daffodils as he was a member of our local AGS group. It was raised by Douglas Blanchard from N. romieuxii x N. cantabricus var. foliosus about 60 years ago! There should be a few spare - if you remind me at the right time!
I can't be sure where I got N.b.graellsiii but I've been unsure of its identity as James Wells says it should be late (as yours is) while this always flowers early here.
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:38:22 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

vanozzi

« Reply #422 on: July 15, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
N pachybolbus flowering on June 14 this year.I meant to try to put its pollen onto papyraceus this year, but that will have to wait another season.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Kees Green

« Reply #423 on: July 15, 2010, 07:40:28 AM »
Fermi.
Don't be to disappointed that it may not be graelsii, it still looks very nice and very small, might be a cross with one of the cantabricus group which causes it to emerge early. Also just think no one else may have that particular flower and get to appreciate it like you can first hand.
I have had a good take with my hoop seedlings, can not wait the 3 years or so for the first flowers to see any variation-all were cross pollinated. However saying that none of my 80 citrinus seeds have germinated yet-or atleast no seedlings have popped above the gravel, hope they do I love that plant. It is a later plant so I still have my fingers crossed.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #424 on: July 15, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
Fermi,

Yes please on the Jessamy.  I have plenty to send you a graellsii of mine in return too..... so you can do a direct comparison of them.  Yours does look to be quite small as well, doesn't it?  I think the tiny ones can be quite fascinating, even if you do have to look a little closer to see them.  ;D  the graellsii and 'Twenty Fiver' are the only two I have that I would class as small varieties, or at least significantly smaller anyway.  'Galligaskins' is smaller than many of them, but not as small as those two.

Oh yeah.... thank you for the parcel that arrived today of seed etc.... it was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting anything.... or was I and I'd forgotten?  :-[

Paul,

The little pachybulbus has been flowering here for weeks to.  Great little plant, although you can miss the flowers if you aren't looking for them.  I imagine they'll be quite impressive in a large clump, but the couple of stems that I have definitely don't exactly make a huge statement.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:15:38 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

vanozzi

« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
Paul T--I don't really know why I give space to N pachybolbus.

Anyway, here are two quite nice seedlings flowering now, both siblings from N. bulbocodium var. conspicuus X mitimoto.
01-441#1
01-441#2

regards Paul R
Paul R

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »
Nice ones Paul
very good shape for the 01-441#1

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

vanozzi

« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »
Thank you Roland.
#2 is more like the typical conspicuus, but #1 also fits in within the range of conspicuus.Very happy with these two seedlings and have brought them in under cover for pollination.
Mitimoto is itself 50% conspicuus and was bred by the Squire o' Glenbrook.
Paul R

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
Paul,

Both very nice shapes, particularly #1.  I don't know conspicuus.  Do you have a photo?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »
Yes number 1 is very nice!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Thanks all.  Great to see these lovely SH daffs while enduring 'summer' here ;D

Fine hybrids Paul, especially the first one I think. Do its corolla segments remain green on the outside as the flower matures?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

vanozzi

« Reply #431 on: July 22, 2010, 10:33:03 AM »
Thanks for your comments Paul, Anne and Ashley.
Paul T. I don't have any pictures of conspicuus, nor do I have any named hybrid bulbicodiums or species, except Olumbo.I left them all behind when I moved  :'(, only bringing my own seedlings.James Wells has some good pictures in his book of some of the forms of conspicuus.
Ashley, I've waited a few days to get another picture of 01 441 #1 showing how the colour ages in the sepals-a quite nice bi-colour.From the back, there is still a green stripe visible.The other picture is the 3rd seedling from the cross, the sepals are wider and the corona is less wavey.
01 441#3
01 441#1 on left, #3 on right.
Regards Paul R
Paul R

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #432 on: July 22, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
Paul,

Both of them really are stunners.

As to named varieties..... if you are wanting some at the end of the season let me know.  Many of those already posted by Fermi I grow, plus a heap more which hopefully I'll post pics of from time to time as I get the time (and the light) to photograph them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #433 on: July 22, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
For those who don't know the parent, Mitimoto, I thought it would be useful to show a pic. You can see the mouth of the corona is constricted compared to Paul's seedlings.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

vanozzi

« Reply #434 on: July 23, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »
Thanks Anne for posting the picture of Rod Barwick's (Glenbrook Bulb Farm) ''Mitimoto''.This seedling of his is a show winner world wide and it looks as though it will go on to be an excellent breeder also.
BTW Anne, I just checked out your web site, great pictures and some choice offerings.
Paul R

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal