We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus winter 2009/2010  (Read 85281 times)

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Galanthus winter 2009/2010
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »
Hi, well I grow most of my snowdrops in net pots some round 5 inches across and some big ones around 12 inches across these I plunge in the garden then if I want a pot for show or just to photograph it is easy to lift that up which does not disturb the bulbs, then when the flowers are over I re-plant. The other thing is when you have a few snowdrops in one area if they are in these net pots they should not get mixed up ( A good metal tag is attached to each pot(, I add some sharp sand on top of the pots so if you start digging then you find the pots easier,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Warren Desmond

« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2010, 04:20:40 PM »
I would like to thank you all for your kind replies.. :)
It truly has given me a lot to think about
I will enjoy having a ponder until my garden goes ice free..!! (like most in the uk)
Cheers
Warren
The Wirral

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »
Hi Warren

Are you in the UK?  I find it really useful when someone has added a signature block with their rough geographical area when I read posts - gives me a clue if they are in a similar climate to me.

Here all my Galanthus are in pond baskets - most of which are plunged into the ground (though I seem to have run out of ground so there are quite a few just lined up where there is space  ::) :))

Cheers

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Warren Desmond

« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2010, 05:22:48 PM »
Hi Warren

Are you in the UK?  I find it really useful when someone has added a signature block with their rough geographical area when I read posts - gives me a clue if they are in a similar climate to me.

Here all my Galanthus are in pond baskets - most of which are plunged into the ground (though I seem to have run out of ground so there are quite a few just lined up where there is space  ::) :))

Cheers

John

Hi John

Yes.. I live on the Wirral... sort of half way between Liverpool & Chester
Those pond baskets sound an excellent idea... I have a couple of ponds in my garden where I keep newts...so have baskets for those,,,icristie mentioned those before  !!

With your Galanthus being in baskets John...do you re-plant them after the flowering season in new soil or just feed them ?

Cheers

Warren

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:26:12 PM by Warren Desmond »
The Wirral

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2010, 06:23:09 PM »
Welcome Warren, no end of good advice given on the forum, all of mine are in net pots, most of them in the ground -  I must remember Ian's tip of a good dollop of sand on the top to mark them, although I think I will prefer grit.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

loes

« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
Hi Warren,

I used to have snowdrops in the garden and the same ones in pots in my greenhouse,so I could compare and enjoy .The ones in the pots didn`t do good for me,watering/feeding was clearly not my thing.
so all of them are in the ground in pond baskets.I have 3 cats who like to dig and this way they don`t get mixed up.
When they are in growth I do not dig them up cause I`m afraid I disturb the roots.
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Hi Warren

Although I try to grow snowdrops in the open ground and in some raised beds, I have quite a few in largish pots, 2.5 l, I think.  These are kept outside and receive no special treatment, they are not manually watered or fed and I only change the compost every few years.  The only thing I do is to try to find them a shady position, say under a hedge, for the summer.

The snowdrops grown is pots seem to do at least as well as the ones grown elsewhere.  One reason for this is that they seem less prone to mysteriously disappear from one year to the next.  I suspect that the ones grown in the ground are more prone to insect predation.  I have certainly nursed snowdrops back to health in pots having found them half-eaten when planted out.     
Almost in Scotland.

Anna

• greentapestry
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
Hi and welcome Warren. I'm very near you in the borough of Halton. I grow all my snowdrops in pots mainly to thwart squirrels. I am concerned though whether they will come through this prolonged cold spell without casualties, so maybe changes might be afoot. Time will tell.

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
I just caught the end of an item on the BBC One Show this evening about a "new species" (!) of snowdrop with four petals "found" in the UK.  Did anyone see it and how rare is it?
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
Hi Richard,

I saw the item, was the garden called Welford? something like that.  I grow a nivalis called 'Quadripetala', lots of   my nivalis 'Sandersii' had 5 petals last year and' Mrs Thompson' and 'Godfrey Owen ' have 6 petals. I expect everyone else will come up with more multi petalled varieties, 'Flocon de neige' ?

So I don't think they have found a new' species'. Just a 4 petalled form of one of the known species.

steve owen

« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »
Hi Diane
I saw your post today at 4.39pm but the two smiley faces keep moving across the screen, so obviously I've had too much to drink so I'm going to bed. G'night.  (Hic).
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2010, 10:55:17 PM »
Yes Jo, I think that the place mentioned.  The piece was clearly presented by someone with less than no botanical knowledge, although they did manage to get the word galanthophile into it - but perhaps that was because they didn't know what it meant !
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:57:01 PM by Richard Green »
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
I just caught the end of an item on the BBC One Show this evening about a "new species" (!) of snowdrop with four petals "found" in the UK.  Did anyone see it and how rare is it?

For those of you who are UK based with access to the BBC iPlayer, the item on snowdrops starts 31 minutes into The One Show.  I was more impressed with the quantity of snowdrops at Welford Park than with their four-petalled foundling. As Jo said, no indication that it is a new species, just, possibly, a new variety.   
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
Thanks for that reminder, Alan.
Good publicity for the snowdrop visits....
http://www.welfordpark.co.uk/More%20Info.pdf
 I see that Welford Park is near Newbury in Berkshire. Was that film of the snowdrops made "live",so to speak.... I mean this year?   It seemed extraordinary that with the way the weather has been, in so many parts of the country, that the flowers could be so advanced already ? Is it true that the drops are in full flower in Berkshire right now? Surely not.... :-\   If they are, is it not asking a lot that they will be in decent conditon  from the 28th January through to the end of February?  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2010, 11:30:47 PM »

Hi John

Yes.. I live on the Wirral... sort of half way between Liverpool & Chester
Those pond baskets sound an excellent idea... I have a couple of ponds in my garden where I keep newts...so have baskets for those,,,icristie mentioned those before  !!

Cheers

Warren

You keep newts Warren? I used to have a pet newt. I called him tiny because he was minute.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal