We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus winter 2009/2010  (Read 85283 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Galanthus winter 2009/2010
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
Is it a secret who galanthusboy is?

It would seem so, Ann  :P  Perhaps it's a bit like Batman and Robin..... ::)

More a case, I believe, of not wishing to give free advertisement or criticising unfairly on the forum.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2010, 10:30:41 PM »
Yes, I'm sure you are correct, Paddy.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2010, 10:36:59 PM »
I'm still visualising Del Boy and Rodney as Batman and Robin in a classic episode of Only Fools and Horses.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Quinton

• it's all about the snowdrop
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2010, 11:48:37 AM »
Is it a secret who galanthusboy is?

It would seem so, Ann  :P  Perhaps it's a bit like Batman and Robin..... ::)

More a case, I believe, of not wishing to give free advertisement or criticising unfairly on the forum.

Paddy

You have it in one, Paddy.
David Quinton passed away on Monday 2nd July, 2012.
His posts remain as a reminder of his friendship.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »
Well, here it is with its bits out for the boys (and girls)  :-[
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
Simon if you have more than one flower will you take it inside to open up and take a side view photo?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Sinchets

« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2010, 01:09:32 PM »
Okay, Mark. I noticed when I held this one open that one of the inner petals is malformed and halfway to being the same size as an outer- except it is marked in green. I don't know if this is normal, but will look at the other buds when they open.
Simon

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2010, 03:56:46 PM »
Broadleigh have listed reginae x elwesii 'Autumn Beauty' in their catalogue that arrived today
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

galanthusboy

« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
Couldn't keep you all in suspense any longer so i hope you don't mind me gatecrashing your party. I own up to having in the opinion of my wife the most embarrasing username on ebay ie galanthusboy but there you go. My name is Nigel Robinson and i hail from Sheffield. My passions are snowdrops, to a lesser extent ferns and trees particularly acers and oaks. Hopefully to satisfy your concerns about the quality of the plants i have for sale on e bay they are all from natural splitting and not twin scaling (although in future years that will not be the case) and come from a roll call of quality suppliers ie John Grimshaw at Colesbourne, Janet at Judys Snowdrops, Joe Sharman at Monksilver, The Snowdrop Company, North Green Snowdrops, Long Acre Plants, Christies, Ivyroft to name a few. The reason for there being no pictures on e bay is purely down to time but hopefully i will address this after January. My wife and i run our own accountancy practise and with about 50 tax returns still to complete and submit before the end of the month i cannot see me doing much "snowdropping" before February.

I will be at The Monksilver Gala and i hope to meet some of you. In any event this is an open invitation that should any of you galanthophiles find yourself visiting Gods own county of South Yorkshire you will always be welcome to call whatever time of year it is. My garden though is not quite Glen Chantry unfortunately.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2010, 03:19:47 PM »
Hi, Nigel! Good to meet you and welcome to the Forum!
There are Drop Fiends aplenty hereabouts so if you need a galanthofix when the snow is on the ground you can have a whinge here with the others frustrated by the weather! At least with all the snow you have fewer little white and green distractions from the tax returns!! ;D :D ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2010, 04:12:23 PM »
Good to have you with us, Nigel, and look forward to further contributions on the forum.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2010, 07:10:54 PM »
............... In any event this is an open invitation that should any of you galanthophiles find yourself visiting Gods own county of South Yorkshire............ .

Welcome Nigel. Just a small correction though. God may well have cast an approving eye on South Yorkshire but later opted for West Yorkshire, and more particularly Huddersfield, for his own. Maybe he didn't communicate the outcome of his deliberations although I believe Moses had it in the Tabernacles (and it was very painful too :o  )
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2010, 09:43:29 PM »
............... In any event this is an open invitation that should any of you galanthophiles find yourself visiting Gods own county of South Yorkshire............ .

Welcome Nigel. Just a small correction though. God may well have cast an approving eye on South Yorkshire but later opted for West Yorkshire, and more particularly Huddersfield, for his own. Maybe he didn't communicate the outcome of his deliberations although I believe Moses had it in the Tabernacles (and it was very painful too :o  )

David when I was passing through last week my usual thought came to mind on what is now the speed camera capital of the UK (you can loose your licence several times over passing through in either direction) - god forsaken.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

vivienr

« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
should any of you galanthophiles find yourself visiting Gods own county of South Yorkshire you will always be welcome to call whatever time of year it is.

I may well take you up on your offer, Nigel, if the weather here ever improves. We are expecting more snow tomorrow and Monday and I expect conditions are similar down in Sheffield.

Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Sinchets

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
Does that make you a splitter rather than a lumper, David? I'd be happy to see the two joined back together as the West Riding in the Autonomous Region of Yorkshire  ;)
Simon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal