We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione under lights?  (Read 2123 times)

John Curran

• Looking to purchase or trade Pleione, Bletilla.
Pleione under lights?
« on: November 16, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »
Would appreciate information about the possibility of growing Pleione successfully under fluorescent lights, thank you.
I am in New Jersey, USA, near the Atlantic Coast, Zone 6/7

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Pleione under lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 03:34:41 PM »
John, where do you live?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »
Mark, I have editied John' profile to show his location on all his posts.... he had told us previously that  he is in New Jersey, near the Atlantic Coast, USA  Zone 6/7
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
John why would you want to grow them under lights? I'm zone 8 and can flower them OK with a great deal of neglect ::) Do you have a green house? If you are too cold couldnt you keep them refrigerated until a more suitable time?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:37:27 PM »
The only reason i can imagine for growing Pleione under light is the lack of a garden to put them in. SOme of the winterflowering might also be a problem in with the climate you have. As far as i recall you have some pretty cold winters. Ours are a lot milders here in Denmark, more so in UK and Ireland. I know that there is a guy in the UK orchid forum who grows autunm and winterflowering under light in the winter. I jsut can't remember who it is. You might try to ask there.

http://www.ukorchidforum.com/
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

John Curran

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 02:17:32 AM »
Zone 8 is much milder than borderline of 6/7.  People in the USA most often grow Pleione as windowsill orchids; they would succumb to our freezing and thawing cycles, and wet winters and springs. 

The house does not have windows placed in such a way that growing plants in them is possible.

I am already set up for lights, where I most often overwinter tropical plants.

No, no greenhouse; there is an unheated but glassed-in cold porch where I often "winter-sow" perennial seeds.  This is not much warmer (if at all) than the outside, but of course provides shelter from the elements, and a certain amount of temperature modulation.

Thank you Mark, Maggi and Lars for your replies.

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »
John, I find the regular T8 with a good cap for reflection the best and the cheapest. The T5 did't impress me considering the higher price and the hype... Many manufacturers (also in the US), supply so called full-spectrum lamps (Like the True-Lite I use, but they're only in Europe?). They come closest to natural sunlight for fluorescent lamps. They don't have those high emission-peaks as the regular tubes have. Also, a fair amount of blue and red and even some UV in an acceptable amount. But in contrast to specific plant lamps (with the reddish/purple glow), they emit also a fair amount in the yellow/green region so a natural color is achieved with a CRI of 96 (!) and a colortemperature of 5500 Kelvin. This is very natural light for the eyes.

I have very good results with them and put out a Photon Fluence Rate as much as 90 mmol.m-2.s-1 with the sensor as in the picture below, which is more than enough for growing Pleiones.

If you look for US-available brands like Duro-Test ("Vita-Lite"), GE (Chroma-75), and Sylvania you will find more info.

Hope this helps,

Hans

NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

John Curran

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »
Hans, thank you for the excellent information.  I will print it out, and go shopping.  Now, if I could only find a great source in the US for the Pleione...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal