We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New member needs US source for Pleione  (Read 1307 times)

John Curran

• Looking to purchase or trade Pleione, Bletilla.
New member needs US source for Pleione
« on: November 08, 2009, 09:28:43 PM »
Hello, everyone.  I found this site while looking for sources for Pleione.  I grew them a number of years ago, successfully on my windowsills, not so well outdoors where they perished.

Would like to get started again, and am having problems finding sources.  I think mine came from Red's Rhodies, but they are no longer selling, I understand.  They were excellent.

Any help would be appreciated, or perhaps trade in USA.

I am in New Jersey, USA, near the Atlantic Coast, Zone 6/7

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: New member needs US source for Pleione
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
Hello, John, welcome to the Forum. I haven't a clue about USA Pleione suppliers.... but there will surely be some northern American members who will have some suggestions for you.Where in the USA are you? Would pleiones only be viable for you as a windowsill plant? I know that glasshouses do not seem to be hugely popular in the USA, whereas in the UK we are very keen on them!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »
Hi John,

Take a look at Paul's Pleione site, http://www.pleione.info/ . There's a link to one US supplier.
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

John Curran

• Looking to purchase or trade Pleione, Bletilla.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 10:00:40 PM »
Thank you, Maggi.  I am in New Jersey, near the Atlantic Coast, Zone 6/7.  I found that Pleione do not survive outdoors here, at least under my care.  I do not have a glass house, but there is a completely glassed-in, but unheated, porch.  This would provide protection from the elements, although temperatures are only slightly moderated.

And thank you, Lars.  I am awaiting a reply from the source you mention, he is preparing a list of available Pleione; just sent hime a reminder.  That is an excellent website you mention.

Modified to ask: can Pleione be grown successfully under fluorescent lights?

I am in New Jersey, USA, near the Atlantic Coast, Zone 6/7

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal