We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Geranium phaeum variants  (Read 3522 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Geranium phaeum variants
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:07:03 PM »
I started with one plant of Geranium phaeum 'Samobor' some 6 years ago and it has since seeded all about and various variants have shown up.  The original plant has long expired, but some do show the markings on the leaves.  The flowers range from deepest black-violet to soft lavender-grey, while the leaves are either marked with anthocyanin, plain green, or chequered.  The last variant I thought may have been a virus, but now I am not sure, as the plants are certainly as strong as the opthers and it is passed on to the offspring.

Anyway, just thought i would share these delightful plants for the woodland.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:36:58 PM by Regelian »
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Geranium phaeum variants
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
Jamie, I like phaeums also but find them too weedy. They get everywhere! I pull up dozens every year. I do have some unusual ones including one that has just been named but not available yet. I'll take a photo today. The spelling of your first plant is 'Samobor'. The National Collection is in Cumbria, UK
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Regelian

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »
Thanks, Mark,

I corrected the spelling.

I agree, they are weeds, but very shallow rooted, making them easier to pull than, say, Geum or Aquilegia, which I can't get rid of.  Every year I save only my favourite variants.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »
Some of the seedling variants are very nice Jamie. My "ordinary" phaeum seeds all over but 'Samobor' is just establishing, so these are new to me.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:58 AM »
Is the yellow segmented splashing a normal variegation on phaeums?  I've never seen anything quite like it before.  The fact that each of the yellow patches seems to be a separate segment is very unusual for a variegation isn't it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Regelian

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
Paul,

I had never seen such variegation before.  At first i thought it may be a virus or insect damage, but it seems to be a fixed mutation.  Without a proper investigation, I can't really say.  Even under the microscope, I don't know what to look for.  In any case, the plants are good growers.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 11:44:37 AM »
Jamie,

What sprang to mind was leaf nematodes, but I haven't had a chance to investigate further in references to find out.  The fact that the variegation is so segregated is what stands out as odd, and there is something that causes that in a few other plants.... that segmented variegation is the identifying feature.  The fact that you're getting a lot of these spontaneously increases the chance of be being something other than genetic.  It certainly isn't something that naturally appears from 'Samobor', as mine seeds around quite a bit but never anything even remotely like that.  of course my 'Samobor' is not the same clone, as I would imagine that most of the ones by that name that are sold are in fact seedlings which looked like the original plant that was released.  I don't know if your variegation is a problem, or just a genetic fluke, but there are definitely similar features in some other plants when they are infected with a particular pest.  Do these yellow patches eventually go brown, or do they stay yellow from long periods like a true variegation would?

Hopefully my mumblings here might trigger a response from someone who can pinpoint what I am trying to stir up from my memory?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

maggiepie

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 11:44:47 AM »
Isn't it amazing that you can get such variety in seedlings from one plant over a period of time.
Jamie, can you remember if the first seedlings were more like samobor or did you get lots of variety in leaves and flowers ?
I love phaeums and you have some really nice ones.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Gerry

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 03:01:49 PM »
Margaret Wilson is very nice in a quiet, organised variegated sort of way. I get the odd seedling, which comes true.

Gerry

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile

Regelian

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
Paul,
I'm pretty sure it is not a nematode-type infestation, as the leaves do remain about the same throughout their life, which is not that long, say 3 months before they are replaced.  They do not show necrosis, but the variegation is sometimes not so intense, which may be something nutritional.

I assume that I never had an original Samobor, as it is typically reproduced by seed as a strain these days.

Maggie,
the first seedlings were very similar to the parent.  It was in the second and third generations I started noting different flower shades and the leaves loosing their markings.  I am in the 6th generation at this point.  Last year the pale greyed lavender showed up and there are two different clones.  I'm not sure when the variegation showed up, as I did think it was a disease at first, but I would guess at three years ago (F4 generation).  I've only taken it seriously this season.

Gerry,
what does 'Margaret Wilson' llok like?  Is is variegated?

Mark,
'Connie Broe' is really attractive!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

maggiepie

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »
Jamie, the only variegated one I have is Rachel's Rhapsody, at this stage it is just a tiny plant, here's a pic of the leaf.
It will be fun watching for interesting babies in the future.

Helen Poirier , Australia

Gerry

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
All of the veins are picked out in cream. Very pretty.

Gerry

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 09:27:52 PM »
and there is phaeum/monacense 'Variegatum

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 09:29:34 PM »
and 'Claudine Dupont'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal