We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Double Crocuses  (Read 2112 times)

Tiggrx

Double Crocuses
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
I though you guys might be interested in this semi-double Crocus tommasinianus that I came across amongst a naturalised population in a churchyard last week. I can remember once before finding a semi-double C. chrysanthus. I don't ever remember seeing double or semi-double Crocuses on sale and was wondering whether they occur often. I don't think the plant I found is especially garden worthy :)
Aaron

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Double Crocuses
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
This was a nice looking one Aaron
Well done finding and taking a photo.
in the February thread there are some discussion about double crocuses more or less starting from here.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3031.msg77817#msg77817
I do not know how common double tommies are but I have heard that the double is often not a repeating feature.
By the way why is the plant not garden worthy?
All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Tiggrx

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:12 PM »
in the February thread there are some discussion about double crocuses more or less starting from here.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3031.msg77817#msg77817

Thanks for the link Joakim - I had missed that discussion

By the way why is the plant not garden worthy?

I'm not really a fan of double flowers and this particularly double looked a bit irregular and deformed to me. An interesting curiosity but I wouldn't buy it ;D

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
Thanks for the information Aaron.
Buying is often a question of money is it not? For a low price It would be nice to have some doubles even if they are a bit non-perfect. I presume no one would take the time and the energy to multiply something and sell it for spare change.
Interesting phenomena and interesting to see if it will be repeated.
kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

biodiversite

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
I posted about a semi-double C. biflorus at the bottom of this page http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3139.15  ;)   
edit  by M: Reply # 29 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 06:16:51 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal