We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Finding a suitable Alpine House  (Read 6586 times)

andrewk2

Finding a suitable Alpine House
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »
I have just read Cyril Lafong's article ''Growing in an Alpine House'' in the January issue of The Rock Garden. Excellent, very informative, thank you very much.
His article has brought me back to the question of which greenhouse to buy and where to buy it from.
I would appreciate any information as to where I should look to find a greenhouse as practical as the one highlighted in the article.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Finding a suitable Alpine House
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
Andrew, if you are in the UK or Ireland, the cheapest are available from B&Q but they are small starter houses. It's almost certain your collection will grow so you should try and buy a big one. Mine is 12x8 feet and already filled.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »
The mod cons such as louvres all round and automatic vents will drive the price up.  It can all  be done using a modified conventional greenhouse.  Benches can be had from a few suppliers.  I used Access for mine and they are still fine after 12 years.  If you have the skill there are home-made options which can give you greater depth of plunge.
I didn't bother with louvres just take a few panes of glass out at bench level .... well all of both sides actually.  Also some of the end opposite the door to maximise through air.  Our winter lows are not too severe, this would be no good if you have prolonged winter freeze and want to keep frost at bay.
It'll depend on your spending power I guess - if I could justify it I'd copy Cyril and add electric fans ... or does he have them too?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »
Cyril has electric fans too. I think Cyril made the point in his article that he bought a good sized conventional aluminium greenhouse and then added the ventilation (louvres and opening top vents) that he needed, and that the structure of his particular greenhouse could take.

As in all things, you get what you pay for. B&Q greenhouses are built to a price in order to retail cheaply and therefore the framing can be flimsier than that used by some manufacturers. My advice would be buy a larger model than ever you think you will need because you will certainly fill it and shop around and compare build qualities. If you do a search on the Forum you will find some pictures of the kind of alpine houses Giles Reed uses. These are probably top of the range and something to aspire to. If you are working to a limited budget then by all means buy B&Q and put up with the limitations. Having one is much better than not!

Tonyg's ventilation option is perfectly workable, just cover up the gaps in the glass with some kind of mesh to keep birds out.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
My mag must be lost in the post  :(
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 06:23:57 PM »
My mag must be lost in the post  :(
Did you pay your Sub. , Mark??  ::) :o
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »
One of my houses is a B&Q cheapie with no glass at all in the gable end. I made wooden frames and covered them with 'wind break' mesh. I have similar in the door of the house.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 06:57:44 PM »
The thing to do is not to compromise. I bought the largest and most robust I could fit into my garden, and afford: a Robinson. Not big (10' 8" x 8' 6"), but it doesn't have those useless spring clip things to hold the glass in, so it is storm proof.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »
The thing to do is not to compromise. I bought the largest and most robust I could fit into my garden, and afford: a Robinson. Not big (10' 8" x 8' 6"), but it doesn't have those useless spring clip things to hold the glass in, so it is storm proof.

Mine has ended up in a crumpled heap at the end of the garden several times. Buy one that is easy to repair is my motto. Leaving panes of glass out here just gives them lift and they fly easier. I have the useless spring clips but put loads of extra ones on. I also tie my frames down.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

andrewk2

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »
Thank you all, a few intersting comments to keep in mind. I think I'll talk to the local garden centre, when the weather gets warmer.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »
Mine has ended up in a crumpled heap at the end of the garden several times. Buy one that is easy to repair is my motto. Leaving panes of glass out here just gives them lift and they fly easier. I have the useless spring clips but put loads of extra ones on. I also tie my frames down.
Crumpled heap! ... Repair :o :o :o?  You are a better man than I am Gungadin!
Seriously though, I did worry about mine blowing away.  But after a very bad experience with baked crocus in March I decided that I'd risk it.  The site is quite sheltered from the wind which must help a lot but I leave doors open most of the time and I reckon with glass out all the way round I'm giving the wind a way out as well as a way in - thats the theory anyway!  It's stood up to everything in the last 12 years, even a gale that removed a hinged roof light. 

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »
my house sits on top of the first hill in from the coast about fifteen miles away.We can see Southport from the garden. The south westerlies roar in and dump there rain. I have twice had one greenhouse blow completely down. I have put extra clips on all the glazing and have ropes with bricks tied on the ends to hold the frames down. I am not exagerating.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
I think I'll stick to gardening down here where its flat ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:44:36 PM »
I sympathise, Tony, we have known a few folk whose glasshouses have been flattened  where they stood or ripped up and dumped by the wind......just very glad not to have had that problem here...... fingers crossed and all that... do hope I have not tempted fate by that statement  :P :-\
 Worst we've had is broken panes, and  once a framework we had over a high plunge area, made from bits of an old glasshouse, did get mangled by the wind and sections plus glass flew quite a distance.... but  managed to miss next door' neighbour's car!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

afw

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
andrewk2

Check out the www.TwoWests&Elliot  site for benches. I used them for many years before moving to Derbyshire.

Alan

edit by M: the link given  above didn't work, thanks to Diane for this one: http://www.twowests.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:59:05 PM by Maggi Young »
Alan Whybrow, late of mighty Sawbo, now in Belper, Derbyshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal