We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4887 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
February 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: February 02, 2009, 01:48:46 AM »
It's a bit hot out here still though there's been thunderstorms through the area this morning. Nothing much new I can show you to start off the month, but I remember some time ago someone asked about growing Delphinium semibarbatum. I have one seed grown plant that I thought had died as it certainly didn't look alve! But this time last year I decided to repot it anyway and lo and behold! in spring it sprouted new growth. I've taken a pic of it this year to show you what it looks like when dormant,
102233-0
and I'll keep fingers crossed that it comes back to life in spring! It might even flower.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: February 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 03:10:09 AM »
Perhaps it's one of those tuberous species like the Americans DD. nudicaule and orfordii which die back to a little black, thick tuber-like root and sprout away again when the weather is moist. They're more bulb-like than perennial. What Kristl would call ephemerals.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »
Does anyone know what's happened to the AGS website? I can't get it to download and I've just realized my sub payment didn't go through late last year. Haven't been able to look at the Online show results either.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:18 AM »
it's running OK at the moment Lesley.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »
It wasn't for me David, but I got there eventually through the link to Diane's latest log, then to the home page. Sub now paid but at full rate, when they owed me 3GBP and I'll have to write that off it seems. The renewal thing had a set amount which couldn't be changed. I would have had to pay this year's sub by writing a letter and sending a bank draft which costs a lot more than the 3GBP.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 08:48:24 PM »
I was all set to have a bit of a gloat - quite a large one actually - about the state of Australian cricket at the moment but it all seems a bit silly in light of the apalling fires yesterday in Victoria. At least 14, maybe as many as 40 people are dead as bush fires swept through forest and towns. The temperature reached over 48C in some parts, over 46 in Melbourne! I shall never again complain about our current mid 30s.

I can only say how very sorry I am, and I hope it all comes under control very very soon. What makes it so much worse, it seems that most of these bushfires are deliberately lit by people who can only be described as seriously sick.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »
What a catastrophe in Southern Australia !!  :'(  Our thoughts go to the victims and their families faced with this immense drama !   I hope things become to normal as quick as possible without further loss of life and that all our fellow Forumists and their families are ok !

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
The weather situations in Australia are frightening enough without idiots lighting fires ---hard to comprehend these fools. Terrible to read of the loss of life and homes ......only  hopethat it is soon safer for all.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 07:50:16 AM »
Gloating about cricket aside (heh, heh!) the fires in Australia are cataclysmic and tragic. The south-western Cape is also experiencing wild fires at the moment but, thankfully, not on the same scale as Australia. Here on the eastern seabord we also experience devastating fires occasionally, but only in the winter months when the grasslands and pine plantations are tinder dry and the fires are driven by the relentless 'berg' winds from the western interior.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »
Here in NZ we get very little news about what happens in South Africa Rogan. Occasionally there's something about the SA government but really, almost nothing.

SA's recent cricket series in Australia remains an outstanding achievment: NZ's current games are at an interesting stage when either side could win the series so no gloating at present.

In view of the current devastating death toll in Victoria - almost 200 and still not final - my comment above seems distinctly underwhelming. We elsewhere, just can't comprehend the scale of this tragedy.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 06:29:13 AM »
South Africa's recent cricket series in Australia remains an outstanding achievment: NZ's current games are at an interesting stage when either side could win the series so no gloating at present.

In view of the current devastating death toll in Victoria - almost 200 and still not final - my comment above seems distinctly underwhelming. We elsewhere, just can't comprehend the scale of this tragedy.
The Aussie Cricket team went to cheer up the locals and play cricket with some of the youngsters affected by the fires. Our Captain was clean bowled for a duck by an eleven year-old  ::) I think he has been signed up by the selectors! ;D
Just to show that there are still flowers during this horrid summer,
My favourite double red "Sweet William"
103899-0
Crassula falcata just starting to flower
103901-1

103909-2

103905-3
Ismene festalis

103907-4
cheers
fermi

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:31:59 AM by fermides »
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »
Good to hear from you Fermi. All the Aussies have been quite quiet lately, not surprizing at all, in the circumstances. Glad to see you are not too traumatized. Julia watzername spoke in the Aus parliament about Saturday the 7th Feb being the worst day in Australia's peacetime history, but surely even in war time, not so many were killed on a single day. Gallipoli? Passchendaele?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »
Lovely to see you back Fermi and with plants to show us.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 01:51:03 AM »
I posted a picture of Dicentra 'Ivory Hearts' back in November I think. It has flowered again and made a little seed. I didn't realize this until I was weeding yesterday and a seed flicked out and hit me in the eye.
They are black and shiny like Corydalis seeds and the pods remain green so that I hadn't noticed seed. Most had gone but I was able to retrieve 4 seeds and sowed them immediately.

The original plant was Laurence Moon's, on the Old Forum, early May 2006. What has happened to him? He seems to have vanished off the radar. Not the usual reason I hope.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:31 AM »
We had our AGS Vic group meeting on Saturday when we looked at DVD pics of the gardens of two of our interstate members, Gavin in Denmark, Western Australia and Lesley Crowden (kaydale on this Forum) in Tasmania; both were wonderful to see and envy - they looked so lush in the freshness of springtime!
Before the meeting we had our committee meeting at Otto's, so I took some pics to share with the Forum. (Otto's had some computer problems so has been "off-line" for a couple of weeks).
Firstly the steadfast little hybrid Campanula x stansfieldii of which I posted a pic 2 years ago as well!
105049-0
The next is the first of a few gentians, G. sino-ornata
105051-1

105053-2
And then a sizeable clump of G. paradoxa,
105055-3

105057-4
and a darker form in a different clump
105059-5
And finally, G. septemfida
105061-6

105063-7
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:35:12 AM by fermides »
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal