We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2009  (Read 39798 times)

Roma

Re: Sternbergia 2009
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:07 PM »
I still have one Cyclamen mirabile bought from Woolworths, late 70s or early 80s.  I remember having one or maybe two dozen Cyclamen hederifolium, some with interesting leaves, growing in trays.  I had reasonable success getting them started in the greenhouse.  Unfortunately they all died in a severe cold spell in the winter 1983-84.  I lost most of my Cyclamen then but one of the three mirabile survived and is still lingering on.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2009, 10:51:05 PM »
One day it could be a collectors item Roma  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »
In the garden St. sicula Dodona Gold has started flowering.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
Sternbergia in flower today.
1. S. lutea from Sparta.
2. S. lutea from Corfu.
3. S. sicula from Oros Idi Crete.
4. S. grueteriana from Aradena Gorge Crete.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52:34 PM »
Very impressive Sternbergia Melvyn. The variation is fascinating. S. sicula from Oros Idi Crete looks very close to S. greuteriana; do the leaves differ?  Are these plants growing in the open garden?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:56:14 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 01:21:03 AM »
What sternbergia is this? The bulb probably came from Avon Bulbs 15-20 years ago, disappeared, but last fall came up and flowered: a total surprise! I divided it last fall after noting that it seemed to have clumped up nicely, and this year have 10 bulbs that are flowering or in bud, and another 8 or so not flowering.

Unfortunately, I have not retained any Avon catalogs nor any record of my purchases from them.

The leaves are narrow and have a pale stripe down the middle reminiscent of Galanthus reginae-olgae.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:01:16 PM by Rodger Whitlock »
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »
According leaves and petals shape they are Sternbergia sicula.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
I will say Sternbergia sicula too.

Poul

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2009, 08:16:20 AM »
Here is a strange Sternbergia.

Poul

This is not a Sternbergia, I was teasing.
It is Sisyrinchium californicum, but the flower has some similarities with Sternbergia.
See the pic in post #27.

Poul
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:18:22 AM by pehe »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
Rodger - I agree with Gerd & Poul, S.sicula.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2009, 05:05:49 PM »
Very impressive Sternbergia Melvyn. The variation is fascinating. S. sicula from Oros Idi Crete looks very close to S. greuteriana; do the leaves differ?  Are these plants growing in the open garden?
I appreciate that its difficult to tell the size of the flowers from a photograph so I've just been to measure them. The Sternbergia sicula from Oros Idi has a petal length of 30mm and a width of 8mm whereas the S. grueteriana has a petal length of 25mm but only 4mm wide, the leaves when they emerge are much narrower on the S. grueteriana and it is generally smaller in all its parts.All of the plants photographed were growing under glass although I think they would all grow ok outside here in Surrey.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2009, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the info Melvyn. Although Sternbergias will grow in the open garden here in Brighton they will not flower, even in a S-facing raised bed.

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
Thanks for the info Melvyn. Although Sternbergias will grow in the open garden here in Brighton they will not flower, even in a S-facing raised bed.

Gerry, have you tried St. lutea Autumn Gold or St. colchiciflora? They should flower in the open garden in Brighton. I have a form of lutea, which have flowered every year since 1993 in the open garden in Denmark. And I believe that the climate in Brigton is much warmer than in Denmark (climate zone 7).

Poul

Gerry Webster

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2009, 09:51:17 AM »

Gerry, have you tried St. lutea Autumn Gold or St. colchiciflora? They should flower in the open garden in Brighton. I have a form of lutea, which have flowered every year since 1993 in the open garden in Denmark. And I believe that the climate in Brigton is much warmer than in Denmark (climate zone 7).
Poul

Poul - I tried to get S. lutea 'Autumn Gold'  from 'Rare Plants' this year but was told that it was not available. Next year maybe. I have tried ordinary 'garden centre' S . lutea which grows but does not flower. I have very heavy clay soil - maybe this is a problem?

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »

Poul

Poul - I tried to get S. lutea 'Autumn Gold'  from 'Rare Plants' this year but was told that it was not available. Next year maybe. I have tried ordinary 'garden centre' S . lutea which grows but does not flower. I have very heavy clay soil - maybe this is a problem?

Gerry, I have also bought the 'garden form' of lutea and these are not floriferous in Denmark. In average 1 out of 6 bulbs flowers. I have sandy soil in my garden, where I have most of my Sternbergias. I have a summer residence too where I have planted some lutea. There the soil is heavy clay, but they grow well and flower about 2 weeks earlier.

Poul

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal