We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 10234 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
January 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »
Howdy All,

Thought I'd open with a couple of photos I have taken yesterday and today....

These two Liliums have just opened.

98343-0
Lilium 'Apricot Reflections' x 'African Queen' is flowering for the second year.  Seed sown many years ago and survived the neglect.  ::)

98339-1
Lilium 'Yellow Bride'

98341-2
And a Datura (I've forgotten the species name) that is now in it's third season for me.  The flowers open at night, hence the use of the flash.  The colour has come out slightly stronger in the picture than it really is.... it is a white flushed with lavender, whereas in the pic it looks more strongly lavender.  The other pic I took brings it out as pure white, which is also not accurate.  This shows the whole plant so I used this one.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:54:48 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: January 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
Stunning photos, Paul.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ArneM

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »
Paul, I think it's Datura inoxia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:50:58 AM »
Arne,

That sounds about right I think.  The flowers really are stunning, even if only very short-lived.  Nice citrusy "clean" perfume to it too, not cloying like some night bloomers. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:16 AM »
A couple of things flowering in the Rock Garden:
Dianthus amurensis,
98866-0
And an Australian native, Ptilotus spathulatus,
98868-1
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
Fermi,

Looks like the Ptilotus is doing well for you.  I've only ever seen it at work, and once for sale at a local nursery.  I was worried it was too touchy and didn't buy it.  Is it at all picky for you?  I love the flowerheads, particularly in a good clump like in your picture.  Great stuff!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »
Howdy All,

Some pics from the last few days.....

98908-0

98910-1
Lilium henryi has just opened today!!  I just love it.

98912-2
Lilium 'Leslie Woodriffe' has opened it's first flower today as well, but sun was at the wrong angle to photograph it normally.  This pic is with the sun shining through the flower that had opened today.  This really is a stunning variety.... does positively brilliantly for me every year.

98914-3
One of the Urginea maritima (or is it Urginea maritimum, I can never remember  :-\) in my garden.  I have two from two different sources, and they flower a couple of weeks apart and differ slightly in flowers and leaves.  If anyone is interested I can post a pic of the second one when it opens in a fortnight or so, or I can dig up a pic from last year if you want.

98916-4
A Hebe whose name escapes me right now.

98918-5
A double Hydrangea  that I bought on the weekend... nice rounded petals, with almost a bicolor effect.  Will be particularly lovely when it is an established plant I think.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ross Graham

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
Once gain stunning plants :)
Just to keep up the Kiwi end of this here is some things growing nicely at the moment.
Actually not too much is flowering right now but here are a couple of plants taken yesterday from my garden.

Celmisia mackaui This plant has very purple leaves and no fluff (tomentum) under the leaves. It grows on Banks Peninsula near Christchurch at low altitudes on cliffs and banks. Its quite rare in the wild but common in cultivation. It self seeds in my garden and even the cotyledons are purple. Sadly my photo doesn't do it justice as the camera wanted the flower to be exposed correctly and not the leaves (usually the opposite happens)

Leucogenes neglecta Like all the species of leucogenies I grow, flowers easily each year. This species is from Malborough and was only fairly recently named hence the neglecta specific name.

Raoulia mammilaris despite the alternating periods of torrential rain and stinking hot this plant continues to grow in my makeshift alpine house. Leucogenes grandiceps in the background: This plant did not flower this year, whereas the plants of the same age in pots or in the open garden did. Its also very fluffy and less compact than its friends outside the alpine house.

Helichysum coralloides This species is growing quite happily in the open garden and flowered really well this year.

Paul T: The Hebe looks like Hebe speciosa or one of its hybrids at least one of the North Island species that get upset when we have a frost here.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:32:08 PM by Maggi Young »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
Wow !!!!  Stunning plants Paul and Ross !!
Thanks for the warmth the pix show... we need that !

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 05:28:20 AM »
Here are a few flowers from my garden on New Years Day 2009
Philesia magellanica
Paris polyphylla
Allium species col. Iran

I would be grateful if anyone could identify the Allium species.
It flowers early summer and by the time it flowers, the leaves have
died back. It is about 40cm tall. Could it be Allium rubellum?

Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 05:49:47 AM »
Here is a larger image of the Allium species which I hope someone may identify.
Thanks,
Otto
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 06:32:02 AM »
Otto,

Great pics.  That is a wonderful clump of Paris.... so many flowers.  I love the Philesia magellanica, something I haven't come across before.  Reminds me of Lapageria, in flower form at least.  Always nice to see something new.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ArneM

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
Otto, your Philesia magellanica looks great. I've never seen so many flowers in such a small spot at once. Good job!  :D

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 06:24:03 AM »
Otto, your Philesia magellanica looks great. I've never seen so many flowers in such a small spot at once. Good job!  :D

Danke Arne,
 not the whole patch of the Philesia in my garden , circa 2 square meters , flowered as freely as the part pictured on the Forum -I think because it receives full sun and water.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:43:22 PM by Maggi Young »

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
Howdy All
(Attachment Link)
And a Datura (I've forgotten the species name) that is now in it's third season for me.  The flowers open at night, hence the use of the flash.  The colour has come out slightly stronger in the picture than it really is.... it is a white flushed with lavender, whereas in the pic it looks more strongly lavender.  The other pic I took brings it out as pure white, which is also not accurate.  This shows the whole plant so I used this one.

Paul,
I think your Datura is D. stramonium.
It is native to S. America but has inveded many parts of the world.
Make sure no one eats the seeds!!!
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal