We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 80186 times)

Hristo

Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #420 on: August 17, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »
Great stuff Paul, sindpers is a little stunner, I have seen many a pundit suggest it is by far the best hybrid juno to be had, I can see why!
Junos are I think my second addiction after orchids, so beware!
I look forward to seeing your first flower!  :D
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2009, 07:49:57 PM »
Lovely show of Irises Paul..... and of Crocus.... and of Snowies, you are having a good spring!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #422 on: August 18, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
Super pictures everyone, I am beginning to yearn for the Northern hemisphere Spring!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #423 on: August 18, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
Some more retics flowering for me at the moment....

Iris reticulata 'Clairette'
Iris histrioides
'George' and friends
Iris reticulata 'Harmony'
Iris reticulata 'Sprintime'

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #424 on: August 24, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
And a few more....

Iris reticulata 'Joyce'
Narcissus cordubensis and a good clump of Iris x histrioides 'George'
An unknown pale blue retic that I am sure we discussed last year and came up with a name for, but the search function brings up nothing by way of unknown reticulatas for me unfortunately!  Does anyone have a name for this?  David, this is the one I sent you bulbs of I think?

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #425 on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
Yes, you did Paul. It was a couple of years ago and it took it a year to get used to NH seasons before I finally lost it last year. More to do with my failings I think, none of my Iris retics. did much last year and I lost quite a few because I dried them off to early.

I'm thinking about using some wood ashes on them Paul :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »
David,

That's a shame.  Will have to see what we can do next dormancy, but you'll need to remind me.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #427 on: August 24, 2009, 12:04:21 PM »
Paul,
lovely I. reticulata stuff and a very nice clump of N. cordubensis 8)
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #428 on: August 24, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
Thanks Armin.  I particularly like the contrast between the glorious purple of the Iris and the yellow of the Narc.  8)

Awaiting the opening of a white Iris winowgradowii hybrid at the moment..... hopefully open tomorrow depending on the weather.  I hope it will do better for me than 'Katharine Hodgkin', which I love dearly but can barely grow.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #429 on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:54 PM »
Is the pale blue reticulata 'Cantab?' Mine is in flower now but just a single bloom this year. I find it's not among the more vigorous. Danfordiae is also out (the commercial Dutch clone), but new bulbs, none of last year's, which, inevitably have split. I don't think I'll bother buying more.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #430 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26:25 AM »
Paul,

I was just going through some shots of reticulata I've collected on the internet and thought of your unknown.  I strongly resembles 'Alida', although yours seems a bit more opulent and ruffled.  A foto was posted in this thread around March 1, 09.  Check it out.
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #431 on: August 25, 2009, 10:30:15 AM »
Lesley,

Checking the Net for pics, Cantab is much bluer than mine I think.  My unknown is pale blue, almost with a hint of aqua in it (a very small hint, but but it is different to any other retic I have flowered recently).  It also doesn't have the neat rounded falls of 'Cantab' either.

Jamie,

Checking the Net for 'Alida' there are definitely some pics up there that show it as a very similar colour to mine (and some that show it as very different), and it certainly looks much more like it colour-wise than 'Cantab'.  However, shape is again the main thing that rules it out.  Mine does not have the neat rounded falls, they all are much more slender and fold back.  I have a half dozen flower out now and they're all pretty much the same.  Both 'Alida' and 'Cantab' have what I would call fairly modern forms, whereas this unknown of mine is much more spidery I feel. I have bought 'Alida' this year (not flowering unfortunately) so I can compare it properly at some point.... but even at this stage that new bulb that isn't flowering has a more substantial leaf than any on my clump that are.

Looking through other retic pis on the Net while checking on these names, I didn't come across any that have a similar form to mine.  I am wondering whether mine is an older species type (as in shape of flower, not implying it IS a species) or something?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:37:56 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #433 on: August 25, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
Maggi,

Thanks for the links.  There are actually more than that (well using the search I actually found some others anyway), as I found pics different to those earlier in this topic (or were you just listing other topics there?).  They just confirm that the shape of mine is all wrong for 'Alida' as it is nowhere near as rounded and "formal" as any pic of it I've seen.  I would still be fairly sure that the colour is all wrong too, as mine is much paler etc.

Thanks again for the links.  I would definitely rule out 'Alida' now I think.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #434 on: August 25, 2009, 12:14:51 PM »
Paul,

I agree with you, the form is more spidery on yours, and in my eyes considerably more attractive!  Possibly it is an old species seedling, possibly not pure, but I really don't know enough about the variance of this group of Iris.  I think it is a pretty fabulous plant, though.  You know where to send the extra seed bulbs ;D  I have only a few reticulatas, but am trying seed to see if I can get forms better adjusted to my garden.  Katherine Hodgkin does very well for me.  Go figure!
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal