We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reticulate Iris 2009  (Read 80187 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Reticulate Iris 2009
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2009, 03:01:11 PM »
Nice to see the retics Paul !
Love the histrio pic !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2009, 08:01:31 PM »
Lovely retics Paul.

I re-potted my pot grown retics yesterday and was very disappointed. Not one of them had multiplied, some had disappeared completely, others had broken down into bulbills, and only Katharine Hodgkin looked to have good healthy bulbs. I know some Forumists feel that Iris reticulata varieties are best grown out in the garden but I was disappointed with my garden grown ones when they flowered earlier this year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #407 on: August 13, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »
A few reticulate Iris flowering in my garden at the moment :
 I. danfordiae ,A. Mc. Murtrie 2325
    ? bakeriana
    ret. ? 'Michael'
    histrioides 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'
    histrio var. aintabensis M&T 4501
 Is I. ret. 'Michael' correctly named ? 
 and is it true bakeriana - it has the characteristicly 8 sided leaves - would greatly appreciate conformation , many thanks.

The collected I . danfordiae is only about a third of the commercial form , but a gem,
 I grew it from seed that Alan Mc M. collected in Turkey and sent to me in 1986.

The I. histrio v. aintabensis , a B. Mathew and Tomlinson collection nr. Maras , Tky,
 I have kept alive since the sixties , and as it had been lost to cultivation in England ,
 I was thrilled to send some bulbs back to Brian Mathew.
  It is so important to share rare plants worldwide .

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #408 on: August 13, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »
Superb pix and flowers Otto !!  :o
The I. danfordiae is truly spectacular !!... as are the others...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #409 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »

The I. histrio v. aintabensis , a B. Mathew and Tomlinson collection nr. Maras , Tky,
 I have kept alive since the sixties , and as it had been lost to cultivation in England ,
 I was thrilled to send some bulbs back to Brian Mathew.
  It is so important to share rare plants worldwide .

Lovely gems Otto - the last one is my favourite.......I so agree with your philosophy......a relation of my husband, in NZ, discovered a field of neglected peonies and restored them to their former glory....then on a visit to Kelways in UK she found that many of them were 'lost' varieties, originally from there, and so she was able to re-introduce them  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #410 on: August 13, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
Super irises Otto. The McMurtrie danfordiae looks like wild material? rather than the commercial clone. Much nicer. If your bakeriana has 8 sides, then yes, it is true. Definitely.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
I'm not sure that Otto's Iris bakeriana is just that, but we have had this discussion many times. If you have the time Otto have a look further back in this thread and in particular to my reply 178 of February 13th, where I quoted from correspondence I had with Alan McMurtrie, and have a look too at other replies that led up to mine. I think also there are some Links to even earlier discussions on the same topic.

This is something we could well be discussing in year dot!! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2009, 08:49:04 AM »
Otto,

Love that danfordiae.  Other than the year I bought the commercial form many years ago, I've never managed to flower it again.  I'm hoping one of these years in the crocus garden one might get large enough to flower.  Fingers and everything else crossed.

Here's a few that I have in flower at the moment.  Any corrections to names please let me know.  Too easy to buy something incorrectly named and never realise it.  There'll be more to show as I took some more pics yesterday.  Currently waiting for 'George' to open in the main clump in the crocus garden..... there's 9 buds at the point of opening.  Will be the best flowering of a clump of retics (or histrioides... you know what I mean) that I have ever had.

Iris reticulata 'Gordon'
Iris reticulata 'Purple Gem'
Iris reticulata 'Royal Blue'
(looks an awful lot like Harmony to me, but still waiting for that to open so I can compare a bit easier.  Opposite sides of the house unfortunately, and neither are moveable.  ::))

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:53:26 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2009, 10:53:33 AM »
Love the Iris reticulata 'Purple Gem', Paul, just such a sumptuous colour :)
Looking forward to seeing more of these and our crocus
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #414 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »
Here's some more....

Iris histrio ssp aintabensis
Iris histrioides 'Angel Tears'
(I think)
Iris reticulata 'George'
Iris reticulata 'Violet Beauty'
(this is out the back, main clump is in the crocus garden and just opening).

Enjoy.

Please click on the pic for a larger version.  If pics are too large, please let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #415 on: August 16, 2009, 09:29:59 PM »
Great stuff Paul !!!!
Gorgeous Spring colours aren't they ?   :D :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »
Cracking looking flowers Paul and Otto, strange to think these wee guys are just getting going for you!
I always look forward to 'Katherine Hodgkin Season', still my fav reticulata type maybe, gorgeous and prolific, what a combo!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »
Chris,

I wish it was gorgeous and prolific for me here..... struggles badly, even though winogradowii does OK for me here.  I rarely if ever get flowers from Katharine and she is slowly dying out here I think. :'(  I've tried her in various areas with more summer moisture (within reason of course, not talking wet or anything) but not much change. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Hristo

« Reply #418 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:11 AM »
Paul,
So sorry to hear she does not do well with you, I wonder if its a temperature thing as opposed to water?
Do you grow the Junmo section Iris? I would imagine they should do well with you?
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #419 on: August 17, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
Chris,

The strange thing is that winowgradowii does OK for me, and they are supposed to be similar conditions.  Go figure?  :-\

I've just started into Juno Irises.  Bought a couple last year after I did more research into how to grow them...... they are returning this year, along with the half dozen more that I bought this season.  I also have some seedlings that are in their 3rd or 4th year now as well.... nothing special, but a good experiment to try them form seed.  Iris 'Sindpers' should be opening a flower tomorrow for the first time, which is wonderful.  A friend of mine here in Canberra has a wonderful clump that flowers brilliantly for her in the normal garden.  I am jealous as anything!!  :o  My little bulb I bought this year wasn't much to start out with, so I was pleased to discover a bud on it this morning so I will get to see it in flower in person in my own garden.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal